GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Digital Cockpit retrofit

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I got exactly this far in my retrofit attempt (2015 Mk7 Highline / SEL with MIB1-->MIB2 conversion already):

Everything lights up; I have sound coming from the stereo (MOST splitter cable connected), the cluster recognizes the car is a TDI (note the tach's redline), but there's nothing I can do to get the car to power up (KESSY); I've tried pushing START/STOP, holding START/STOP, holding key against the steering column...nothing wakes the car up when the new cluster is installed. Put the old one in and everything lights up and car fires up as normal.

Only module I'm able to read with VCDS with the VC installed is 19-CAN GATEWAY - everything shows as "no response from controller".

Any ideas as to how/why the car isn't lighting up, and how I can get past that?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I got exactly this far in my retrofit attempt (2015 Mk7 Highline / SEL with MIB1-->MIB2 conversion already):

Everything lights up; I have sound coming from the stereo (MOST splitter cable connected), the cluster recognizes the car is a TDI (note the tach's redline), but there's nothing I can do to get the car to power up (KESSY); I've tried pushing START/STOP, holding START/STOP, holding key against the steering column...nothing wakes the car up when the new cluster is installed. Put the old one in and everything lights up and car fires up as normal.

Only module I'm able to read with VCDS with the VC installed is 19-CAN GATEWAY - everything shows as "no response from controller".

This might sound like a stupid question.. but you have had the Immobiliser coded, right?

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Yikes if you forgot about immobiliser coding, you may need a tow to dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbusato

Looks nice, you have the correct theme loaded for the Highline trim. The issue you’re describing is your immobilizer doing its job, you need to have a dealership code your new cluster to the car using ODIS. Make sure to take all your keys with you so they can all start the car.

Just put the old cluster back in and the car will start right up, then you can drive it to the dealer. Leave the analog cluster loose, just clip the harness in and bring your AID and keys. Tell your dealer you have a new cluster and need to have it coded to the immobilizer using ODIS. Should be 1/2 to 1 hour labor at the most. I’m not sure if it’s possible to code the immobilizer yourself, even if you have a VAS scan tool with ODIS as it requires a live connection to VW servers to complete the pairing.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Should be 1/2 to 1 hour labor at the most. I’m not sure if it’s possible to code the immobilizer yourself, even if you have a VAS scan tool with ODIS as it requires a live connection to VW servers to complete the pairing.

There's a few people online that'll do it for the OP, but the cost of buying a VAS module and paying the guy to do it remotely just isn't worth it when it's a simple cluster job that any dealer should be happy to do for a pretty reasonable price.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Thanks, guys.

My only experience with these is way back with my Mk4, swapping clusters and working around the IMMO (IMMO3) in those vehicles, and the car there would "light up" and even start, but only for a couple seconds. So, while I wasn't expecting the car to start, I was expecting (and what I've seen from others) is everything lighting up, but in "SAFE MODE" - which wouldn't even allow a start.

From what you're saying, though, this is to be expected without the immobilizer being coded yet? I've been flipping the new and old one out so yeah - it'd be easy for me to get to local VW dealer (five minutes away) with the old one in there "loosely".

Once the CP is removed and immobilizer is neutralized by the dealer, will I be able to drive it home? And then do the rest of the coding simply with VCDS?

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks, guys.

My only experience with these is way back with my Mk4 swapping clusters and working around the IMMO (IMMO3), and the car there would "light up" and even start, but only for a couple seconds. So, while I wasn't expecting the car to start, I was expecting (and what I've seen from others) is everything lighting up, but in "SAFE MODE" - which wouldn't even allow a start.

From what you're saying, though, this is to be expected without the immobilizer being coded yet? I've been flipping the new and old one out so yeah - it'd be easy for me to get to local VW dealer (five minutes away) with the old one in there "loosely".

Once the CP is removed and immobilizer is neutralized by the dealer, will I be able to drive it home? And then do the rest of the coding simply with VCDS?

Yup.

mk7paul

hi i was interested in the aid retrofit, i have a 2016 mk7 gti se. i believe i have a mib2, i have carplay so if someone can confirm the mib2 i would appreciate it. if i do have the mib2 all i would need in order to retrofit the cluster would be a new cluster, the fiber optic adapter, and the dealer coding correct? i would just not have the navigation show up on the cluster? also would i be able to swap in a mib2 with nav post cluster installation? thank you for anyone that can help. :D

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
hi i was interested in the aid retrofit, i have a 2016 mk7 gti se. i believe i have a mib2, i have carplay so if someone can confirm the mib2 i would appreciate it. if i do have the mib2 all i would need in order to retrofit the cluster would be a new cluster, the fiber optic adapter, and the dealer coding correct? i would just not have the navigation show up on the cluster? also would i be able to swap in a mib2 with nav post cluster installation? thank you for anyone that can help. :D

Yes, you have a MIB2 unit.
Yes, that's all you need.
Yes, there wouldn't even be a Navigation menu.
Yes, you could swap in a Navigation unit and have it display on the AID.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
2014 (MY2015) - I did the upgrade to a hacked Discover Pro MIB2 unit prior to the AID retrofit, yes.
Thanks!

One more (he says, hopefully...) question: When you took the car in, with the hacked MIB2 unit, did you need to have the MIB2 "accessible" - in that it was "readable" by VCDS/ODIS?

The hacked unit I got from APG is "hidden" from scans ("no response from controller" in VCDS parlance) unless I go into the green engineering menu and enable it for the next 3 or 10 starts of the car.

I'm leery about having it "open" when the dealer plugs in ODIS/GEKO, just in case they inadvertently flip some bits or otherwise alter some coding; but at the same time, I want to be sure that all the functionality works.

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
The hacked unit I got from APG is "hidden" from scans ("no response from controller" in VCDS parlance) unless I go into the green engineering menu and enable it for the next 3 or 10 starts of the car.

I'm leery about having it "open" when the dealer plugs in ODIS/GEKO, just in case they inadvertently flip some bits or otherwise alter some coding; but at the same time, I want to be sure that all the functionality works.

ugh, I hate that APG does this.. you pay top-dollar for their patch, and they give you an only partially-working device in return :(

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks!

One more (he says, hopefully...) question: When you took the car in, with the hacked MIB2 unit, did you need to have the MIB2 "accessible" - in that it was "readable" by VCDS/ODIS?

The dealer isn't going to code your AID for you, only remove CP and sort your Immo out. You'll need to do manual tweaks yourself with VCDS.