GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAPerformance Stage 2 MK7 GTI versus all of our shop cars

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Hey all, just thought I'd post up some of the fun I've been having with our shop cars here in Cottage Grove, Mexico!

So the contenders in my last week of comparisons are as follows:

2017 MK7 GTI PP DSG, Stage 2, ALL MAP (MAP Intake, MAP Downpipe, MAP Stage 2 tune) 93 and E30 tunes on tap versus:

1: 2016 WRX Stage 2, 93 and e30, all MAP everything. - This one was fun! Very close, and the gearing, and quick spool helped the GTI get ahead by a car almost every gear, but the WRX did pull ahead after a much much higher speed, say around 90-100MPH+. From a dig the GTI did very well actually, using Cobb traction control, it held it's own and with the transmission just banging it's way to a nose ahead. Driver switching proved to really determine how close this was.

2: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost 91, all MAP everything, stock turbo though. - As torquey and fun as the Mustang is, this was an easy win for the GTI. :)

3: 2017 STI, Stage 2, 91, all MAP everything. - Similar race to the WRX, but was better on the top end, and the dig was even closer. Maybe a nose to the STI on the dig. Switching drivers proved even further variance in results.

4: 2008 Evo X, GSC S2's, MAP bolt ons, 93 octane. - Okay so this was painful until we got on the highway. The GTI was way faster up top, but almost impossible to keep on the bumper of the Evo until maybe 80mph.

What would you like to see me race? Tons of other fun cars here, Audi S4's, Camaro's etc. Let me know what you think, and what I should try! Thanks for sharing in the fun with me.

- Adam

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
I'd like to know why you are losing to WRXs on the top end. Those are slow as shit.

Wellll, our stage 2 e30, does pack some punch, and the gearing is solid up top. I will also admit, this was the shortest of the races because we kept running out of room (traffic). I plan a rematch, and with better tires on each. Also IIRC I was on 93 while it was on e30, so a rematch is due.

https://www.maperformance.com/produ...blend-e30-tune-by-maperformance-wrx-ots-s2e30

videos or it didn't happen

I'll work on it ;)

-Adam

Last edited:

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
This is why stage 2 is IC, not DP. Everyone did it backwards.

You need a dp for sure, ic isn't always necessary but it's good to have.

I think it's important, and I'd like to get one made in house with our signature billet end tanks. But yea from a tuning/power standpoint the downpipe is a big priority, and frankly traditional across the industry. I find the stage thing confusing at times, and can be frustrating but it seems to be finding some consistency.

-Adam

Juggar

Ready to race!
Hes running Stage 2 without an intercooler and doing multiple pulls lol.... enough said....

Your data is highly flawed, the top end of the GTI will suffer on stage 2 with no aftermarket IC.

Made a very noticable difference when I put APR IC in. Got out of the dealer and felt an extra kick in the pants up top. Said to myself hell yes this was worth it.

The stock IC looks so damn small in comparison.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
This is why stage 2 is IC, not DP. Everyone did it backwards.

That is why I installed my IC before my DP. I had both in hand, but limited time for install. Sure it was only a month between installs, but I felt a bigger change from doing the IC than I did the DP.

IC makes a huge difference in all conditions. Especially on the top end/higher speed pulls when timing advance needs to be optimized due the IS20 sputtering out.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Hes running Stage 2 without an intercooler and doing multiple pulls lol.... enough said....

Your data is highly flawed, the top end of the GTI will suffer on stage 2 with no aftermarket IC.

Made a very noticable difference when I put APR IC in. Got out of the dealer and felt an extra kick in the pants up top. Said to myself hell yes this was worth it.

The stock IC looks so damn small in comparison.

I would say the word "data" very roughly on the fact it's all just for fun, though I will say this is going to be something repeat as long as the cars are in the stable and I have the keys haha. I appreciate your first hand experience on the IC, and look forward to doing the same!

-Adam

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Agree with Diggs x2
IC are Sooooo important on these cars once you up the boost and plan on doing more than one pull.

Let’s see a 93 vs 93 or e30 vs e30 as well for the wrx vs gti. I’ve had zero issues with any modded newer Wrx. But ethanol and a ic are difference makers.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Agree with Diggs x2
IC are Sooooo important on these cars once you up the boost and plan on doing more than one pull.

Let’s see a 93 vs 93 or e30 vs e30 as well for the wrx vs gti. I’ve had zero issues with any modded newer Wrx. But ethanol and a ic are difference makers.

I'll see what I can do! WRX just came of the lift with some chassis goodies, so it should be race ready.

-Adam