GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Center trim got me!

cb1111

Wow...thought this was just me. My wife cut her hand open last night. Just submitted a complaint and have an Appt at the dealer tomorrow (unrelated) but will ask them about this.
Sorry to hear that. Did you respond to the poll too? It looks like nearly 30% of responders have an issue. That's a very high rate.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Wow...thought this was just me. My wife cut her hand open last night. Just submitted a complaint and have an Appt at the dealer tomorrow (unrelated) but will ask them about this.
I'd consider doing the same, but been unable to find what cut me before. Didn't imagine it, got stuff out of boot and my mum said "you hand is bleeding a bit" and it was....

Last edited:

zimmie2652

Ready to race!

I stumbled upon a thread during some research, you can get the clubsport shifter which comes come complete with that trim piece for roughly half of what VW charges to replace the OEM setup off e-acca.com pt number is 5G1711113FWEJ.

Credit to Derushi on here for finding that info back in September.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
This thread needs more pictures

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Whoa that's pretty gnarly. So it's the coating on the plastic coming off. I used to think it was solid metal. This thread has gotten me so paranoid, I check the trim several times a day.

Frank416821

Passed Driver's Ed
I got a call this afternoon from VWOA regional case manger and they are going to replace the shifter and trim on my car for free. My car is out of warranty by 9K.

I just called them last week and politely explained to the rep that I have been cut by the metal trim a few times. First, they said they would look at it at no cost to me and then make the call if they want to cover it. After the dealer agreed it was separating from the shifter and was sharp they agreed to cover the replacement.

So next week it gets dropped off to be done. Hopefully everyone else will be taken care of too.

Last edited:

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Dropped mine off for a VW covered diagnosis this morning and just got word that VW will be covering replacement on mine as well. Woohoo! Like Frank above, I too am just outside the warranty period.

I simply contacted VW via the customer chat feature and then scheduled a diagnosis with dealer and they took some pics and sent to VW.

cb1111

Please PM me if you currently have this damaged trim (not yet repaired), are in the Washington DC area and wouldn't mind bringing your car to NHTSA in SE (next to Nats park) during the week.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Please PM me if you currently have this damaged trim (not yet repaired), are in the Washington DC area and wouldn't mind bringing your car to NHTSA in SE (next to Nats park) during the week.

Would be really nice to have some people do this. Show them firsthand how dangerous it is. Anyone I tell about this doesnt seem to believe me that its an absolute razor