GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trying to identify this trim piece!

cb1111

VWoA didn't tell them to change it. If they did, then there would be a paper trail, such as a TSB or recall. The dealership convinced VWoA to authorize a warranty repair or the dealership ate the costs to keep a loyal customer.

NHTSA doesn't care if you cut yourself on a sharp edge. What gets their attention is death or serious injury as a result of a defect.
You are so wrong.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Sorry to jump into this thread with another trim question but is it possible to order this piece in silver for a 2015 Golf TSI 4 door? My driver side one is terribly scratched up. The diagram I found is for the 2 door Golf and part number 5 was not listed under the items available for order.

Attachments

• trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 232

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
You are so wrong.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/RecallProcess

The United States Code for Motor Vehicle Safety (Title 49, Chapter 301) defines motor vehicle safety as "the performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in a way that protects the public against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring because of the design, construction, or performance of a motor vehicle, and against unreasonable risk of death or injury in an accident, and includes nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle." A defect includes "any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment." Generally, a safety defect is defined as a problem that exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment that:

• poses a risk to motor vehicle safety, and
  • may exist in a group of vehicles of the same design or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same type and manufacture.
Cutting your finger does not get the attention of the NHTSA for recalls. There's lots of other things in the car that can injure you, which doesn't warrant a recall.

Frank416821

Passed Driver's Ed
VWOA called me back and they approved the repair. My car goes in this Friday to have the shifter and trim replaced. They approved the repair without any hassle or argument and my car is 9K out of warranty.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
Cutting your finger does not get the attention of the NHTSA for recalls.
Weird, because there is this Audi recall regarding door speaker trim that sounds suspiciously like the issue with the trim people are experiencing on our cars:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCRIT-17V675-1270.pdf

The aluminum trim on the front and rear door speaker covers can come loose. Loosened trim may bend away from the speaker cover and could expose sharp edges. Injury (such as a cut or puncture) could occur if someone came into contact with one of these sharp edges.

Last edited:

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Sorry to jump into this thread with another trim question but is it possible to order this piece in silver for a 2015 Golf TSI 4 door? My driver side one is terribly scratched up. The diagram I found is for the 2 door Golf and part number 5 was not listed under the items available for order.

bump.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Your chances of getting it fixed are slim man...I know everyone keeps saying it’s a safety issue and they will fix it but I already been there done that...I called corporate and they did the same scheduled a inspection. But after getting there and talking to Mgr of dealership showed me what corporate said. They said it’s a user error as that cubby trim was lifted as a result of us using it incorrectly and snagging it up. I got lucky as hell as the Mgr just had cut his hand on a friends Gti the day before so he felt bad for me. Told me as in good faith cuz I bought the car thru them that they replaced it for free and told me to be careful what I put in there and how I take things out. I don’t really use it as much anymore needless to say lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chances aren’t all that slim. Word is getting out about this. My dealer had 30 issues reported in the last 3 months alone. The VW rep I spoke with also confirmed as much via our chat. Her wording pretty much more or less was, “we are aware of this problem and certainly do not want any of our customers injuring themselves.” Numerous people on here have reported the repair being covered and on the Facebook groups as well. Not sure why you were given such a hard time but that is hardly indicative of what is starting to take shape, from what I have seen and heard.