GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS Adjustable end links review

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Disclaimer, this is a short review. Haven't seen much else posted about these so wanted to offer a bit of insight.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_Volkswagen_ECS_Sway_Bar_End_Links_2460/

I've been running the factory end links for a while now on my VWR Springs. I couldn't find a set of adjustables that weren't spherical bearings.
These came out and they looked decent.

Build quality: excellent. High quality pieces that feel sturdy. They adjust smoothly and no hiccups there.

HIGHLY recommend you have at least a 16mm THIN wrench for tightening these down.
The factory links have a hex hole to hold them in place where as these don't (and they have a nylon locknut for extra fun).
It's workable with a normal wrench, but I had to push the boot back off the retainer to make fit. That was a pain to get back on there and sealed up. Again, with the right tool(16mm thin wrench) it would have been very easy installation.

The rears gave me more trouble than the front honestly. The piece that goes into the control arm seems like 1/2mm wider than the factory plastic ones, so it took a bit of force to get them to fit.
When these are completely threaded IN, they are the same length as factory. I have them threaded about 6 threads out, which puts the rear bar at the same angle as my wife's factory height mk7.

Fronts are threaded out 10 threads on both sides(shorter than factory) which put the front bar parallel to the car and at the proper angle.

I haven't driven it much to see if having the correct length makes a difference, but I feel better knowing it's all at the proper geometry.

As a bonus, the ECS logo on all the links is just an easily removed sticker :)
For those looking for a reasonably priced adjustable endlink set that are not spherical, I think these are a winner.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I had a hell of a time keeping the front jam nuts tight. They continued to loosen up while driving.

Have you had the same issue?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I checked mine soon after install and one had loosened.
I used some blue Loctite and tightened them both again - good this time.
No issues since and have had almost a year now.

Had 034 prior and the ECS price is a lot easier if I had to replace for wear. The ECS are holding up better rust/corrosion wise. I also like the red even though I can not see.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=633751&postcount=966

Last edited:

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I checked mine soon after install and one had loosened.
I used some blue Loctite and tightened then both again - good this time.
No issues since and have had almost a year now.

Had 034 prior and the ECS price is a lot easier if I had to replace for wear. The ECS are holding up better rust/corrosion wise. I also like the red even though I can not see.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=633751&postcount=966
Good suggestion on the loctite. I should have given that a try before calling it quits.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I ran the fronts and rears for a few months but could never get them to tighten and stay tight. Blue loctite, assembled off the car so there wasn't any tension, nothing worked. The rears were also way too wide for the control arms so you either needed to unbolt the shock so that it un-pinches or you need to file them down a bit.

In the end they got sent back and I replaced the fronts with SuperPros (which didn't cost much more and were WAY more robust, larger bodies and threaded ends) and the rears got Moog OEM replacements which are metal with a grease fitting. Total for both of those parts with a little sale on the SuperPros came out to less than the ECS for better parts IMO. I thought I was getting a bargain but just got headaches.

In any case, I highly recommend picking up something like these for endlinks, and other stuff you'll find a use for thin wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PTF9MY

Navi

Autocross Champion
I use these. Similar to above. Great for brake jobs and end links because a regular wrench won't allow you to properly tighten the bolts. Might be a reason some people are having their lock bolts loosen up on them. I didn't have my thin wrench set with me when I was fixing something and used a needle nose pliers instead. It was very tight by hand I thought I was good. It ended up coming loose a day later. Got my thin wrench set at my parents house, tightened it, and it's been good for months.

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-...544&s=hi&sprefix=capri+thin+,tools,124&sr=1-2

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

The Capri tools are much nicer than the ones I linked, but same exact function. A lot of parts of this car need a thin wrench like these. I like the bag pouch the Grip tools come with though since they got tossed in a tool bag versus just being in a drawer. I found a "used but like new" warehouse set of the Grip brand ones for less than $20 so I got those over the Capri's though I considered them first.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I ran the fronts and rears for a few months but could never get them to tighten and stay tight. Blue loctite, assembled off the car so there wasn't any tension, nothing worked. The rears were also way too wide for the control arms so you either needed to unbolt the shock so that it un-pinches or you need to file them down a bit.

In the end they got sent back and I replaced the fronts with SuperPros (which didn't cost much more and were WAY more robust, larger bodies and threaded ends) and the rears got Moog OEM replacements which are metal with a grease fitting. Total for both of those parts with a little sale on the SuperPros came out to less than the ECS for better parts IMO. I thought I was getting a bargain but just got headaches.

In any case, I highly recommend picking up something like these for endlinks, and other stuff you'll find a use for thin wrenches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PTF9MY
I use these. Similar to above. Great for brake jobs and end links because a regular wrench won't allow you to properly tighten the bolts. Might be a reason some people are having their lock bolts loosen up on them. I didn't have my thin wrench set with me when I was fixing something and used a needle nose pliers instead. It was very tight by hand I thought I was good. It ended up coming loose a day later. Got my thin wrench set at my parents house, tightened it, and it's been good for months.

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-...544&s=hi&sprefix=capri+thin+,tools,124&sr=1-2
The Capri tools are much nicer than the ones I linked, but same exact function. A lot of parts of this car need a thin wrench like these. I like the bag pouch the Grip tools come with though since they got tossed in a tool bag versus just being in a drawer. I found a "used but like new" warehouse set of the Grip brand ones for less than $20 so I got those over the Capri's though I considered them first.
Great suggestions; going with the Capri.

Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Great suggestions; going with the Capri.

Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread.

No worries! I actually put those Capri's in my Amazon cart last night before anyone posted them here :cool: Looked to be the best.

As an update after some driving today, the car feels better to me. It's very very slight, but twisty roads and turn in feels a bit softer and more linear.

I suppose I could say the car felt a tad more anxious before the new endlinks.

VERY slight here. No difference in ride quality outside of that.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I wish this conversation happened about two weeks ago. I had previously inquired if anybody had any experience with the ECS links and got nada. Ended up ordering a set of rear bar links from PowerGrid. Should have them in hand in a week or so. The PowerGrid link has a nylok nut for the stud on the ball joint end of the link which is supposed to be good for at least 5 uses. I'll definitely be keeping a close look on it staying tight!

My new 034 rear bar is scheduled to arrive this Thursday. Now if I could only get winter to finish up around here and go away...

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
I just ordered these too. $42 shipped (Rockauto). Looking forward to ditching the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta love rock auto. How do you like the drop with H&R OE springs with Koni? Good match? Is ride quality mostly maintained?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Gotta love rock auto. How do you like the drop with H&R OE springs with Koni? Good match? Is ride quality mostly maintained?

Detailed write up in my build thread. I will have some more updates soon, but in short, I think it’s a great overall street setup. I will see how it does at Laguna Seca in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just ordered the ECS adjustable rear endlinks. Turns out PowerGrid doesn't have anything that will work with the connection to the LCA. Good people to deal with, though.
The fun part will be trying to figure out the right link length to start with no preload on the two-position 034 RSB soft position.