Ready to race!
Very nice. Good luck with the sale.

CPO on a tuned car though?

Arctic Silver

Car(s)
B8 S4
Very nice. Good luck with the sale.

CPO on a tuned car though?

Thanks. I bought the car CPO last year and it was stock. No TD1 flags, so you could always remove the go fast parts and tune if you had a concern that warranted it. It's similar to mods on a new car, it all depends on dealer and the situation that arises.

Arctic Silver

Car(s)
B8 S4
Bump

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thanks. I bought the car CPO last year and it was stock. No TD1 flags, so you could always remove the go fast parts and tune if you had a concern that warranted it. It's similar to mods on a new car, it all depends on dealer and the situation that arises.

LOL, like removing a tune keeps the warranty.

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!

This, plus these "APR friendly" dealers have little to no effect on VW Group of America who actually approves/pays for the warranty work.

Arctic Silver

Car(s)
B8 S4

The question was about a tuning a CPO car. The car has not been TD1 flagged, nor to the dealership since the performance parts which have been on less than 3K miles. The car still holds a CPO warranty and the mods can be removed easy enough if there is concern about the warranty.

This, plus these "APR friendly" dealers have little to no effect on VW Group of America who actually approves/pays for the warranty work.

Not sure when I said my dealer was APR friendly. The car still holds a warranty which is all that was expressed in the listing. If you would like to buy it stock, I would be more than happy to remove all the performance parts and have my APR dealer flash to the stock map.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
I think their point is that since it's been flashed, the damage has been done & the drive train part of the warranty is pretty much void.
Even if you flash it back to stock, the counter will still show it's been tuned

Nice car though

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
The question was about a tuning a CPO car. The car has not been TD1 flagged, nor to the dealership since the performance parts which have been on less than 3K miles. The car still holds a CPO warranty and the mods can be removed easy enough if there is concern about the warranty.

Not sure when I said my dealer was APR friendly. The car still holds a warranty which is all that was expressed in the listing. If you would like to buy it stock, I would be more than happy to remove all the performance parts and have my APR dealer flash to the stock map.

I don't think it's too far off to suggest that any dealer offering APR tunes to their customers would be considered friendly towards/endorsing/supporting of APR; otherwise, the dealer wouldn't offer it.

In the end, the flash count is all that VW America cares about, not who re-flashed the car or if it is currently in stock configuration.

Beautiful car! GLWS

Only1Z

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^
I think their point is that since it's been flashed, the damage has been done & the drive train part of the warranty is pretty much void.
Even if you flash it back to stock, the counter will still show it's been tuned

Nice car though

It doesn't quite work this way. The dealer sometimes flashes the ECU themselves for various reasons and that updates the counter. My friend is a VW master tech and he said that if a car comes in with a stock tune, they have very little to go on to tell if it was ever flashed. And the flash counter is not proof as a prior dealer may have flashed a car due to an update or whatever.

From real world experience, I had a Passat TDI and it was flashed by my dealer twice with updates prior to the whole TDI scandal. How would they prove that the flash counter meant I modded the car if it came back with a stock tune? They can't. I could have put a Revo tune on the car and taken it off if I went in and there would be nothing they could say or do to void my warranty.

I didn't do that of course. But I could have.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It doesn't quite work this way. The dealer sometimes flashes the ECU themselves for various reasons and that updates the counter. My friend is a VW master tech and he said that if a car comes in with a stock tune, they have very little to go on to tell if it was ever flashed. And the flash counter is not proof as a prior dealer may have flashed a car due to an update or whatever.

From real world experience, I had a Passat TDI and it was flashed by my dealer twice with updates prior to the whole TDI scandal. How would they prove that the flash counter meant I modded the car if it came back with a stock tune? They can't. I could have put a Revo tune on the car and taken it off if I went in and there would be nothing they could say or do to void my warranty.

I didn't do that of course. But I could have.
So you think the whole TD1 thing is fake news?

And if they "found" the tune, you'd just claim a dealer must have updated/flashed it and you didn't do it?

The "stock" tunes from the aftermarket tuners aren't 100% like the OEM file anyways.
Plus if a dealer did reflash it at one point, there'd be a paper trail/documentation showing that to validate everything.

There's more to it than the counter, but that was an example

Only1Z

Passed Driver's Ed
So you think the whole TD1 thing is fake news?

And if they "found" the tune, you'd just claim a dealer must have updated/flashed it and you didn't do it?

The "stock" tunes from the aftermarket tuners aren't 100% like the OEM file anyways.
Plus if a dealer did reflash it at one point, there'd be a paper trail/documentation showing that to validate everything.

There's more to it than the counter, but that was an example
I never said not to flash it back to stock before you take it in. Where did I say that? I'm not saying you should do that (I have NEVER done this by the way as this was just a discussion we had when my wife and I visited them this past summer). But if flashed back to stock, my VW master tech friend said it would be very difficult to tell it was ever flashed by a 3rd party.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk