GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Incentives 3/1/19-4/30/19

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Update: Volkswagen's incentive programs on all 2018 vehicles end on 4/30.

2018 GTI: $3500 Dealer cash only. Special APR and Lease programs are gone. On 5/1, remaining 2018 inventory will be final-paid, roughly 20% less than current dealer cash. Dealers will want to sell all remaining 2018 vehicles before then.

2019 GTI: All offers from last month are extended (lease program revised).
Dealer Cash: $2000 (VCI STD APR, bank/CU financing, cash purchase)
Special APR: 1.9%/60mo 3.4%/72mo 3.9%/75mo + $500 APR Dealer Bonus
Dealer 1st Choice: +1% to Special APR, $1000 APR Dealer Bonus
Dealer 2nd Choice: +2% to Special APR, $1500 APR Dealer Bonus
Special Lease: 0.00097/36mo 52% RV 0.00147/48mo 45% RV

As usual, there are no regional cash programs on GTI, and no incentives whatsoever on Golf R. Dealer Cash cannot be combined with Special APR, Dealer Choice, or lease programs. If you're interested in a different model, PM me and I'll see what incentives there are.

AdrianC

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

I’m looking to buy a new 2019 GTI S 6MT. I have a couple of quotes from my dealer:

MSRP $29260
Deal 1
$26260 cash price ($3k off).
I figure that’s $2000 dealer cash + $1000 dealer discount. Seems attractive.

Deal 2
$26560 with 1.9% financing for 60 months.
I figure that’s $500 APR bonus + $2200 dealer discount.

It looks like the dealer has room for a $2200 discount, so my cash price could be $25060, $4200 off MSRP.

Does that sound right? Or am I missing something?

zack1978

Passed Driver's Ed

I’m looking to buy a new 2019 GTI S 6MT. I have a couple of quotes from my dealer:

MSRP $29260
Deal 1

Deal 2

It looks like the dealer has room for a $2200 discount, so my cash price could be $25060, $4200 off MSRP.

Are you sure you’re pricing an S model? I don’t think the sticker price is that high.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yeah, that MSRP doesn't sound right. GTI S manual starts at $28490 including destination.

AdrianC

Yeah, that MSRP doesn't sound right. GTI S manual starts at $28490 including destination.

It has the Driver Assistance Package $450, Monster Mats $235 and Roadside Assistance Kit $85.

$28490 + 450 + 235 + 85 = $29, 260.

I definitely want the Driver Assistance Package.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It has the Driver Assistance Package $450, Monster Mats $235 and Roadside Assistance Kit $85.

$28490 + 450 + 235 + 85 = $29, 260.

I definitely want the Driver Assistance Package.

That makes more sense. If they're willing to give you the $2200 on top of the dealer cash with bank financing, it's a heck of a deal.

CiviclyConverting

MSRP $29260

Deal 1

Deal 2

Are these prices after or before TTL? If before TTL, a 2019 GTI S MT with DAP should be closer to $24K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AdrianC

Are these prices after or before TTL? If before TTL, a 2019 GTI S MT with DAP should be closer to $24K.

Before TTL. $24K would be $5260 off MSRP. I'd love to get that deal locally.

There are dealers advertising such prices, e.g.

https://www.sheehyspringfieldvw.com/new-inventory/index.htm?model=Golf+GTI&sortBy=internetPrice+asc&

But there's small print:
"An adjusted market value will be added back to all new vehicle prices for customers living outside of VA, MD, and D.C...Price plus tax, tags, processing fee of $799 VA and destination and handling."

AdrianC

That makes more sense. If they're willing to give you the $2200 on top of the dealer cash with bank financing, it's a heck of a deal.

I'm more interested in a cash deal with a large discount. My point was, if I understand how the incentives work, it looks like this dealer can do at least $4200 off MSRP for a cash deal. Is that your take on it?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'm more interested in a cash deal with a large discount. My point was, if I understand how the incentives work, it looks like this dealer can do at least $4200 off MSRP for a cash deal. Is that your take on it?

Right, in the business I'm in, "cash deal" refers to anything that isn't manufacturer financing or lease. Dealer receives payment in full from the bank, so to them it's basically a cash deal, except they get the fee from bank for arranging the loan. If you've got the cash to buy the car outright, they'll be more willing to deal if they know they're getting that little extra, and it won't matter to you since you have the cash to pay off the loan before the first payment comes due.

As far as the $2200 is concerned, they've either miscalculated and accidentally added the dealer cash when they shouldn't have, or they've found a bank that will match the VCI special APR (unlikely), or they're throwing every possible cent of their back-end to make the deal happen. If it's scenario 3, that would include the flat fee from VCI for doing the loan, so be prepared to surrender a few hundred.

Keep in mind that there are other incentives available that I do not have access to, mostly in the form of volume or stairstep bonuses which vary by dealer and are therefore unpublished. The only thing that makes me wonder about it is, if they're willing to throw that much of their end into the deal if you finance through VCI, why not go in for a similar amount on the cash deal? That sort of discount indicates they're willing to do a huge discount to move another unit, and they won't make any extra profit (besides the flat fee, which is a small percentage of that) by financing you through VCI. In any case, there's no harm in asking.

Last edited:

cb1111

Right, in the business I'm in, "cash deal" refers to anything that isn't manufacturer financing or lease. Dealer receives payment in full from the bank, so to them it's basically a cash deal, except they get the fee from bank for arranging the loan. If you've got the cash to buy the car outright, they'll be more willing to deal if they know they're getting that little extra, and it won't matter to you since you have the cash to pay off the loan before the first payment comes due.

As far as the $2200 is concerned, they've either miscalculated and accidentally added the dealer cash when they shouldn't have, or they've found a bank that will match the VCI special APR (unlikely), or they're throwing every possible cent of their back-end to make the deal happen. If it's scenario 3, that would include the flat fee from VCI for doing the loan, so be prepared to surrender a few hundred.

Keep in mind that there are other incentives available that I do not have access to, mostly in the form of volume or stairstep bonuses which vary by dealer and are therefore unpublished. The only thing that makes me wonder about it is, if they're willing to throw that much of their end into the deal if you finance through VCI, why not go in for a similar amount on the cash deal? That sort of discount indicates they're willing to do a huge discount to move another unit, and they won't make any extra profit (besides the flat fee, which is a small percentage of that) by financing you through VCI. In any case, there's no harm in asking.
I suspect that the price will change right before pen meets paper. No dealer will dump every cent of possible profit (and then add a bit to sweeten the deal).

The Sheehy example shows how deceptive the advertised pricing is. While Sheehy advertises their "easy price with no added fees" it has that dreaded asterisk that says "only add tax, tags, dealer fees and freight". This is the only place where "and freight" is mentioned on the page. Freight is what? $895? So that $2200 is reduced by that. Then, that Sheehy price has military and grad incentives - a very unlikely combination.

Don't believe it, look at the fine (very fuzzy) print right above the picture.

https://www.sheehyspringfieldvw.com...field-va-384f66940a0e0a173d36db40ba55df01.htm

Quite frankly, unless it is on a signed document, then it didn't happen.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
When I sold Hondas 15 years ago, there was a dealer in the area that advertised constantly on the back page of the first section of every newspaper in a tri-state area. They advertised cars all the way into the hold back that they were not making anemone on the car after they paid the salesperson. This was clearly against the Honda franchise rules, but they did it anyways. So much so, they were forced to eventually sell the franchise or risk having it pulled by Corporate.

We lost so many sales to them and figured the only way they make money was on quarter and yearly volume bonuses and the service department. Some dealers will whore cars out on volume to get as many plate frames on the road and make it up elsewhere.

It's definitely like the home printer racket - sell you the printer at cost or less and make it up on the ink cartridges.

Last edited:

cb1111

Before TTL. $24K would be $5260 off MSRP. I'd love to get that deal locally.

There are dealers advertising such prices, e.g.

https://www.sheehyspringfieldvw.com/new-inventory/index.htm?model=Golf+GTI&sortBy=internetPrice+asc&

But there's small print:
"An adjusted market value will be added back to all new vehicle prices for customers living outside of VA, MD, and D.C...Price plus tax, tags, processing fee of $799 VA and destination and handling."
I'm curious to see what the final price ends up being.

mercurial_dirigible

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking to buy a 2019 GTI DSG SE w/ Experience Package in the PNW region. Looks like 5 dealers in the area have the exact car I am targeting.

MSRP of $35,395

Hearing initial quotes of $2,500-3,500 off MSRP w/ mandatory VW financing. I'm happy to pay cash or finance and pay off immediately - whatever is the better deal.

Any sense of where incentives may be moving and if it is worth holding out on the buy until May?