GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metal tyre valve caps

Isaac

Passed Driver's Ed
Been causing a load of grief, the back two were completely seized on.managed to get one of and one is still stuck on . I’ve tried my best with it and had no luck what is the best solution with out causing damage. I know there are sensors.just want access to sort out tyre pressures and replace with plastic caps. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
They are likely aluminum.
In the USA they are a lower cost cap sold at Walmart.
The aluminum reacts with the steel valve threads.
You can try to hold the valve with one pliers while turning the cap with another.
Maybe wrap the valve pliers in a cloth to reduce damage to valve.

If you can not get off you will likely need to have new valves installed.
Not supper costly. Our wheels do not have sensors inside so it is just an old fashion valve. Then use plastic cap or a stainless steel one.

bertj

Ready to race!
Been causing a load of grief, the back two were completely seized on.managed to get one of and one is still stuck on . I’ve tried my best with it and had no luck what is the best solution with out causing damage. I know there are sensors.just want access to sort out tyre pressures and replace with plastic caps. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Are you sure that you've got wheel sensors? If you can read individual pressures for each wheel on the MFD then you have got sensors. If you've got the usual display that 'tells' you that a tyre has lost pressure without specifying the tyre, then you just have conventional tyre valves.
If the latter, use two pairs of pliers - one to undo the valve cap and one to grip the valve stem. Protect the valve stem with a piece of cloth.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
They are not sensors that is done with the ABS sensor. Metal valve caps have always been a big no no as they two different metals always corrode to each other and seize.

Squeeze the cap gently with some pliers and keep working around the cap to break the seal, don't squeeze too hard as to damage the valve but needs to be hard enough to flex it slightly.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Try PB Blaster on the base of the threads, just try not to get it on your wheel or tire.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bertj

Ready to race!
To judge by your earlier difficulties and comments I would be inclined to replace all the valves. Probably a lot cheaper and safer than a valve stem failure caused by your struggles to remove the valve caps! Have the tyre fitters check all your tyres and wheels at the same time.
Unfortunately, as you've found out, you can't take tyres for granted.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Stating the possible ovbious, position the wheels so the tyre valves are at the bottom 6 o'clock position and squirt a little releasing product like WD-40 into where the valve caps screw onto the valve stems, trying not to get any on the actual tyre. If the valve caps don't free off overnite, or woteva, maybe best taking the car to tyre dealer for new valve stems....

Last edited:

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Old thread, but carrying on with the topic of valve stem caps, my new '21 GTI came from the Dealer with these green caps. I noticed last week that one is now missing. Does anyone recognize these? I'm not a do-or-die nitrogen fan, but I think they look kind of cool and they're metal.

VW GTI Tire Valve Cap - for upload.jpg

Or I may just replace them with these by VW, P/N ZVW-355-005-A

1617475695002.png

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Old thread, but carrying on with the topic of valve stem caps, my new '21 GTI came from the Dealer with these green caps. I noticed last week that one is now missing. Does anyone recognize these? I'm not a do-or-die nitrogen fan, but I think they look kind of cool and they're metal.

View attachment 209023

Or I may just replace them with these by VW, P/N ZVW-355-005-A

View attachment 209024
Either ask the dealer for a few replacement ones or you can get them at a parts store

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’ve always avoided these metal valve caps as they can corrode onto the valve stem. I prefer to use the cheap plastic type, and if any happen to go missing, they’re readily available (at least they are in the UK) and inexpensive.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I’ve always avoided these metal valve caps as they can corrode onto the valve stem. I prefer to use the cheap plastic type, and if any happen to go missing, they’re readily available (at least they are in the UK) and inexpensive.

Yep....Scottish winters & road salt really bugger things up!!......cheap black plastic for me, mind you I got some decent quality from my local parts store...