GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 with LP - DRL Won't stay on

Jwanamak

Hey All,

I got my 15' SE GTI about 4 months ago now and its been a blast. However, occasionally when I am driving, I get a "Check Daytime Running Light" error on my dash. I've done a lot of Googling and haven't really found anyone with this issue, or any suggested fixes. I do see that someone else on this forum posted this issue but did not get any responses (except me) so I am trying again.

When I start the car, both DRLs are typically on. I am talking about the U shaped LED lights around the main headlight. Sometimes I am able to make my full 45 minute commute to work without the right DRL light going out, however some days the light will go out within a minute or two of driving. Sometimes it will take 15-20 minutes. It really seems to happen at random. Occasionally, turning the headlight switch off and on a few times will get the DRL to turn back on (but the warning light stays on in the dash until the car turns off and back on).

The right DRL turns off, while the left DRL remains on. I can turn my headlights on and off a few times and I can usually get the DRL to turn back on for a little bit. It will also turn back on if I turn my right turn signal on and then back off (I feel like it turns on because typically the DRL "winks" when you use the turn signal, so when the signal turns off, the DRL comes back on). If the DRL comes back on, the light on my dash will remain on, and the DRL will typically go out again a few minutes later.

I have an ODBeleven and there are no mods done on the DRLs. The error code I get from the ODB reader is:
B12EDF2 - Right LED daytime running lamp and parking lamp LED module Supply, open circuit/short circuit to B+ static.

I've taken this to the VW dealer and they said the light had no issues while they had it... of course. Sometimes you can go a few days without the DRL going out. Apparently that happened while they had it. They said the headlight looked fine. The headlight was also replaced by the previous owner, as the last headlight was bumped into by another driver.

Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate some help. VW has been super unhelpful with this and I barely know anything about cars.
Thank you.

Jwanamak

I certainly thought so.. thanks.

By chance do you know how much this typically costs to replace? There's another dealer about 30 miles away, I guess I will give them a call.

theohdolphillus

Passed Driver's Ed
any updates? same problem here

Dealer said it was bc of front end collision, and the shop that did my repairs "installed it incorrectly"..

seems like BS to me, not sure

Somnus

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2008 A4
I certainly thought so.. thanks.

By chance do you know how much this typically costs to replace? There's another dealer about 30 miles away, I guess I will give them a call.

The part itself (Part# 4G0-907-697-F) can usually be found for around $170 online

List price at most dealers is $241.67

Labor i'm not to sure about since they usually pull the headlight out. honestly, if you feel confident in realigning the headlight housing afterwords, the job isn't really too bad.

any updates? same problem here

Dealer said it was bc of front end collision, and the shop that did my repairs "installed it incorrectly"..

seems like BS to me, not sure

That sounds like a bit of BS considering the module only has one connector and can only be plugged in one way. not a lot of room to install in incorrectly. I call shenanigans

Playing the Devil's advocate for a moment, it could either be a faulty module or possibly a wiring issue inside the headlight.
I would also make sure that you are getting +12v on the headlight connector's DRL Pin (Pin 10 if i'm not mistaken)

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Used $80 for module. Since you are putting the headlight back in there should be no adjustment necessary. Fairly easy job, and many DIY videos online for removing/installing headlights. You could swap modules and see if they problem moves to other headlight, but I would just buy module. If it is not the module you can always resell.

Somnus

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2008 A4
Used $80 for module. Since you are putting the headlight back in there should be no adjustment necessary. Fairly easy job, and many DIY videos online for removing/installing headlights. You could swap modules and see if they problem moves to other headlight, but I would just buy module. If it is not the module you can always resell.

As far as adjustment, I was meaning more along the lines of aligning the housing to the body so there aren't any gaps