GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Us Your Intake!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
^^ I wonder if that scoop actually helps. Downside, I would think, is that your filter gets dirty a lot quicker now.

You're absolutely right on the filter cleaning. However if you have an Apr style intake that draws air from passenger side it is actually completely closed off. There's no direct route for air to travel as the grill and hood encloses any opening on the mk7s. Def has many benefits from iat load drop, spool and top end.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
"The rear opening is required for Engine cooling. DO NOT block it off. At highway speeds the pressure differences allow cool air to pass over the top of the engine to the turbo."

I find it interesting how some people believe the opening on the passenger side cools the engine/provides cooling air to the oil cooler which is located directly behind it, and various other explanations for us not to block that small opening.

Think about all the air entering the front of the car, passing through heat exchangers, for the ac, intercooler, radiator, all working on air passing through them and entering the engine bay with a hot aluminum heat sink (engine) sitting there.

No wonder no one is seeing temps increase when it's blocked, even when relatively cool 112C air is sucked through the much hotter heat exchangers located on the front of our cars.

Oh, our oil cooler is not air-cooled btw.

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Unitronic Stage 2+ IS38, APR Carbon Fiber Intake, APR Turbo Muffler Delete, Revo Intercooler Pipe Upgrade, ECS Tuning Carbon Intake Pipe, Forge Performance Turbo Muffler Delete, APR Intercooler, CTS Turbo Catted Downpipe, Vibrant Performance Resonator on AWE Track Edition Exhaust, and Forge Performance Blow Off Valve.

Last edited:

ltktw

MST performance cold air intake

Attachments

• DF1FB94A-3AF9-4314-8976-CF757387E85A.jpeg
    DF1FB94A-3AF9-4314-8976-CF757387E85A.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,103
  • F70E5F19-1AE3-4B11-BF69-A7280B82CDFA.jpeg
    F70E5F19-1AE3-4B11-BF69-A7280B82CDFA.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 208179C6-C234-4F9A-8491-7A8DD7A39583.jpeg
    208179C6-C234-4F9A-8491-7A8DD7A39583.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,091

88Mike

"The rear opening is required for Engine cooling. DO NOT block it off. At highway speeds the pressure differences allow cool air to pass over the top of the engine to the turbo."

I find it interesting how some people believe the opening on the passenger side cools the engine/provides cooling air to the oil cooler which is located directly behind it, and various other explanations for us not to block that small opening.

Think about all the air entering the front of the car, passing through heat exchangers, for the ac, intercooler, radiator, all working on air passing through them and entering the engine bay with a hot aluminum heat sink (engine) sitting there.

No wonder no one is seeing temps increase when it's blocked, even when relatively cool 112C air is sucked through the much hotter heat exchangers located on the front of our cars.

Oh, our oil cooler is not air-cooled btw.

Absolutely correct. I've pretty much read this entire post and the misleading information about air cooling this or that is quiet alarming. To anyone new to modern VW's, your engine is liquid cooled, the turbo center section is liquid cooled, and for eff's sake the oil cooler is liquid cooled. What IS air cooled is your radiator, a/c condenser and intercooler, that's it! You CAN block off that port on the right side of the intake or replace it with the aftermarket intake of your choice with no adverse effects.

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Is the VWR filter oiled?
In process of reviewing the thread, but if not mentioned already since it's still applicable while the VWR is oiled foam, MST has a dry filter and adapter kit you can get for it. Bit extra to cost but it's an option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

vw671

Autocross Newbie
In process of reviewing the thread, but if not mentioned already since it's still applicable while the VWR is oiled foam, MST has a dry filter and adapter kit you can get for it. Bit extra to cost but it's an option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I upgraded to the MST "Hybrid" inlet pipe so I went ahead and upgraded my R600 filter to match it.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
I upgraded to the MST "Hybrid" inlet pipe so I went ahead and upgraded my R600 filter to match it.

How was the fitment/install of that replacement filter? I too have an R600 and would like to get rid of the foam but I wanna know it'll fit well before I go crazy on the screws..

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
CTS intake, 2019 Rabbit, not impressed...

Grommets fit loosely, the one near the headlight keeps popping out of the metal box.
The SAI filter came appart during install.
The SAI filter placement in the front of the metal box means I gotta remove the front cold air diverter thingy. I like that even less with the flappy coolant hose now.

Not sure if i'll keep it honestly, I'm also writing an email to CTS about it.

Mk7gtifl

Ready to race!
CTS intake, 2019 Rabbit, not impressed...

Grommets fit loosely, the one near the headlight keeps popping out of the metal box.
The SAI filter came appart during install.
The SAI filter placement in the front of the metal box means I gotta remove the front cold air diverter thingy. I like that even less with the flappy coolant hose now.

Not sure if i'll keep it honestly, I'm also writing an email to CTS about it.

I was about to pick one up, glad I didn’t, did the inlet pipe and hose instead, also I live in Florida and 95 degrees plus days are here to stay until September, don’t know how I feel about more heat soak.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
That doesn't look right... Curious what their reply will be.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
That doesn't look right... Curious what their reply will be.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
It doesn't. Being a 2019, it has a larger battery, which could be preventing it from being installed correctly.

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
Temporary setup until i hear back from them or redrill the 1" hole myself lower so it fits properly...

It sounds awesome now. Perfect for a stock GTi.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk