GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade From Composition Media To Discover Navigation

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

I have researched this quite a bit and I see other people have asked the same question but it seems there was never a definitive answer.

I am looking to fit a MIB1 Discover Navigation system (screen and main unit in glove box) to a 2014 MK7 Golf Comfortline 1.2TSI which has an MIB1 Composition Media system fitted to it from the factory. Basically I am looking to add navigation to the car and have the option to pick up a second hand MIB1 Discover Navigation system from a fellow forum member. This Discover Nav. system has been removed from a 2015 MK7 Golf Highline which does have the black shark fin roof aerial fitted. The MK7 I am looking to fit this system to does not have the black shark fin aerial as it did not come with navigation as standard. The problem I see is the connection of the GPS aerial to pick up signal for the navigation in the unit in a car which does not have navigation from the factory and as a result does not have a GPS aerial I assume.
I have also read that a navigation module can be retrofitted to the Composition Media system but know nothing about it and can't seem to find any info on it. If there are any other options to add navigation to this car without buying an aftermarket or separate unit (Garmin, TomTom etc.) please let me know.

If anyone could help me here I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guys,

I have researched this quite a bit and I see other people have asked the same question but it seems there was never a definitive answer.

I am looking to fit a MIB1 Discover Navigation system (screen and main unit in glove box) to a 2014 MK7 Golf Comfortline 1.2TSI which has an MIB1 Composition Media system fitted to it from the factory. Basically I am looking to add navigation to the car and have the option to pick up a second hand MIB1 Discover Navigation system from a fellow forum member. This Discover Nav. system has been removed from a 2015 MK7 Golf Highline which does have the black shark fin roof aerial fitted. The MK7 I am looking to fit this system to does not have the black shark fin aerial as it did not come with navigation as standard. The problem I see is the connection of the GPS aerial to pick up signal for the navigation in the unit in a car which does not have navigation from the factory and as a result does not have a GPS aerial I assume.
I have also read that a navigation module can be retrofitted to the Composition Media system but know nothing about it and can't seem to find any info on it. If there are any other options to add navigation to this car without buying an aftermarket or separate unit (Garmin, TomTom etc.) please let me know.

If anyone could help me here I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Im pretty sure you just need to connect the GPS antenna to the headunit(blue connector), you will need to tell the car it has nav now(Coding), and vw will have to remove CP and maybe install something, im not really sure about them installing something but CP has to be removed

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply.

That is the thing I'm not sure about - whether or not the car has a GPS antenna. I'm assuming it doesn't as it doesn't have navigation. If it does for some reason then it should be plug and play. I have VCDS so can code it. I can get the component protection sorted too.
I haven't removed the main unit in the car to double check but looking at pictures online of the rear of the main unit of a composition media system (part number 5G0035819A) there are no blue colored connections...

ofektal8

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the reply.

That is the thing I'm not sure about - whether or not the car has a GPS antenna. I'm assuming it doesn't as it doesn't have navigation. If it does for some reason then it should be plug and play. I have VCDS so can code it. I can get the component protection sorted too.
I haven't removed the main unit in the car to double check but looking at pictures online of the rear of the main unit of a composition media system (part number 5G0035819A) there are no blue colored connections...

If Your current headunit (the original that came with the car) doesnt have a blue plug then there shouldnt be a GPS antenna, you can buy it. i dont think its expenisve.

Is the unit in the picture the one thats in your car?

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I believe the GPS antenna's are available and are also not that expensive but I have visions of having to pull half the car apart to fit it. I wonder would it work just plugged into the main unit and stashed within the dash somewhere behind the main unit or would it need line of site to pick up satellite signal?? The other thing I though of was the speaker/microphone used for navigation announcements. The car does have Bluetooth so phone calls work fine and I assume factory fit navigation units utilize the same speaker/microphone.

The unit pictured above is not the exact unit from the car but it is a picture of the same unit as mine - same part numbers.

Thanks.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
Can anyone else chime in on this? Surely someone has done this or at least looked into doing it and knows about it? I asked my local V.W. dealer and they didn't know the answer :(

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, I believe the GPS antenna's are available and are also not that expensive but I have visions of having to pull half the car apart to fit it. I wonder would it work just plugged into the main unit and stashed within the dash somewhere behind the main unit or would it need line of site to pick up satellite signal?? The other thing I though of was the speaker/microphone used for navigation announcements. The car does have Bluetooth so phone calls work fine and I assume factory fit navigation units utilize the same speaker/microphone.

The unit pictured above is not the exact unit from the car but it is a picture of the same unit as mine - same part numbers.

Thanks.

As for your First question, im pretty sure it would be ok to leave the antenna behind the headunit or in that area.

And the microphone is located in the area where you control the sunroof from. i think the pn is 3B0 035 711 B but im not sure.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
You can buy a Fakra connector GPS antenna for a few pounds/dollars on eBay.

O.K. thanks, I will check this out.

As for your First question, im pretty sure it would be ok to leave the antenna behind the headunit or in that area.

And the microphone is located in the area where you control the sunroof from. i think the pn is 3B0 035 711 B but im not sure.

I'll have to look into the antenna as if it requires pulling A pillars and running up to the headliner etc. then I'm not sure I want to take it on but if it picked up signal and worked from within the dash that would be perfect.

The microphone is there already I believe as the car already has Bluetooth so is used for audio in both directions for that so I assume the same is used for the navigation announcements but again would have to confirm. Trying to get this info from Volkswagen has been impossible so far unfortunately.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie

I'll have to look into the antenna as if it requires pulling A pillars and running up to the headliner etc. then I'm not sure I want to take it on but if it picked up signal and worked from within the dash that would be perfect.

The microphone is there already I believe as the car already has Bluetooth so is used for audio in both directions for that so I assume the same is used for the navigation announcements but again would have to confirm. Trying to get this info from Volkswagen has been impossible so far unfortunately.

Just buy the antenna and try, its not expensive. you have nothing to lose.

Oh so thats great, i cant see any reason why the car wont use the regular speakers for nav. just like listening to music.

JHWP

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the MIB1 Discover Pro Navigation in my own MK7 GTD (this thread is about an upgrade for a family members car) so next time I'm in it I must check to see if I can figure out where the audio for the navigation announcements are coming from, I've never noticed before. The lady's voice is just emitted into the cabin from somewhere :D

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I have the MIB1 Discover Pro Navigation in my own MK7 GTD (this thread is about an upgrade for a family members car) so next time I'm in it I must check to see if I can figure out where the audio for the navigation announcements are coming from, I've never noticed before. The lady's voice is just emitted into the cabin from somewhere :D

Im 99% sure its from the speakers. where else could it come from?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Nah, Dont worry about it. they only thing you should do is go to a dealership, i think they need to upload map data to the headunit, or atleast update it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie

Mine is mounted behind the glovebox attached to the chassis - I get 9/12 satellite locks consistently.