GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has had their warranty claimed denied because of their tune / TD1 Code?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Maybe it's just me, but I've seen/watched 1000's of turbo's fail without destroying the motor. The intercooler and cat normally take damage and yes, in some occasions the turbo can take out the motor but that is rare. It is possible that the "major weakness" in the IS20 causes it to take out the engine versus the bits simply getting stuck in the intercooler, which would definitely be shitty.

Can anyone actually post stats that compare failures of the IS20 to other turbos? Or is it all just word of mouth? What about the exact number of IS20's that have blown since people keep saying it's a lot? Lots of GTI's in my area and my dealer has yet to deal with a blown turbo. I've read about more ringland failures on EJ25's then I have IS20's blowing up.

Edge-man

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen/watched 1000's of turbo's fail without destroying the motor. The intercooler and cat normally take damage and yes, in some occasions the turbo can take out the motor but that is rare. It is possible that the "major weakness" in the IS20 causes it to take out the engine versus the bits simply getting stuck in the intercooler, which would definitely be shitty.

Can anyone actually post stats that compare failures of the IS20 to other turbos? Or is it all just word of mouth? Lots of GTI's in my area and my dealer has yet to deal with a blown turbo.

There should be another thread tracking all of this...

To put an idea or thought out there, VW delivered 500K cars in America in 2016... if and IF the failure rate of a turbo/engine were to happen to 5000 of those cars that would be 1%. Now if you divide the 500k by 5K you get 100, so for every 100 cars that were delivered there could have been a blown turbo/engine waiting to happen. This is a pretty significant number when you start to analyze it more. Now is this true, likely not but if we knew the real number that would prove what we are debating. I'm not sure what is the standard deviation for a recall or known engineering issue with a product.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
There should be another thread tracking all of this...

To put an idea or thought out there, VW delivered 500K cars in America in 2016... if and IF the failure rate of a turbo/engine were to happen to 5000 of those cars that would be 1%. Now if you divide the 500k by 5K you get 100, so for every 100 cars that were delivered there could have been a blown turbo/engine waiting to happen. This is a pretty significant number when you start to analyze it more. Now is this true, likely not but if we knew the real number that would prove what we are debating. I'm not sure what is the standard deviation for a recall or known engineering issue with a product.

There is a thread, but this is just one forum and is a low percentage of MK7 GTI drivers. Of that low percentage, only a handful (or two or three to be fair) have reported blown turbos. There are just over 30k registered members on this forum. Not all of them have GTI's though (R drivers, GSW drivers, Golf drivers, some sold, some just checking out the scene, and vendors). Looks like 82,523 MK7 GTI's have been sold in NA since 2015 (so it won't include MY2015 sold in 2014). Having issues putting together worldwide sale numbers since we have people from all over on the forum.

Last edited: