GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Decision making time

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
My wife's GTI needs 2 new tires.

One has sidewall damage and the other has a small bubble on the sidewall also....
It's her first car with low profile tires le sigh.

So, that being the case I've got some decisions to make.

I'm currently running some low mile Michelin A/S3+'s on my car, and they are no good for traction in 1st or 2nd with my setup.

I'm trying to decide between the 3 options below(in order of anticipated wife acceptance).

1.) Purchase 2 new matching tires for her car + 2 new wheels and drag slicks for track use only on my car

2.) Purchase 4 new Pilot Sport 4s's for my car and swap my tires over to her car.

3.) Lightweight wheels and Pilot Sport 4's for my car , giving her my current wheels and tires

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Option 3
Saves loads of time and having two cars in shop at same time. Just depends on which wheels you pick for yourself [emoji3]

I don't think option 1 is really an option...

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI

That's my preference I think, but light wheels that I also like to look at are pricey and spending more money isn't going to be her favorite thing.

I also am saddened to think about giving her my prestine nogaros that I do like a lot(with the exception of the weight).

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
That's my preference I think, but light wheels that I also like to look at are pricey and spending more money isn't going to be her favorite thing.

I also am saddened to think about giving her my prestine nogaros that I do like a lot(with the exception of the weight).
It's the way I look at things...I always look for a reason to spring board into something new, which does has its downfall... Lol.... Usually in the form of spending money

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I've already laid the ground work by explaining how light weight wheels help with MPG....

That's always my go to lol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Muahahaha

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I've already laid the ground work by explaining how light weight wheels help with MPG....

That's always my go to lol

My wife would see right through that: And how many miles will you have to drive for these light weight wheels fuel economy savings to offset the upfront cost?

Option 3 would be ideal, assuming spousal support.

Otherwise option 2.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The Nogaros are the only reason I haven't even looked at new 18" wheels yet. No matter the weight savings and whatever else, they just look too good to me.

But, once you get past that, option 3 is really your only choice.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
option 4 don't buy overpriced under performing tires.

What tires would you suggest?

I've had multiple PSS's on various cars and have always been very pleased with them. I've heard nothing but great things about the 4s's

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
What tires would you suggest?

I've had multiple PSS's on various cars and have always been very pleased with them. I've heard nothing but great things about the 4s's
Pretty much any brand but michelin. Continental or the Indy 500 are a good alternative that are almost as good but for half the price and will last a while.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
PS4S tyres are very popular with many Golf R owners, they seem to suit the R setup.