GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Wheel and Tire Setup for GSW

Milogolfsw

Hey guys my name is Myles and I recently purchased a brand new 18 GSW Pure White 6sp 4Motion. I love the car, it’s everything I have wanted in a car for a long time, manual, AWD, Turbo, Wagon! Does it get better than that? Lol

Anyway I am going to be getting new wheels and tires for it and was hoping to get some input from you experts. It is at stock Suspension and will likely stay that way due to the terrible roads and excess snow we get here in South Dakota. So my question is: what would be the best setup?
18” or 19” x 8” or 8.5” 35 or 42 or 45 offset?
Tires 225/40 or 235/40?
Sorry just so many options out there my brain is getting fried by all the numbers. I would like something that is flush or close to flush and am leaning towards VMR’s because they are more affordable than neuspeeds but still keep the factory hub bore and ball seat wheel bolts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated especially with pics! ?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
A lot will depend on your eventual goals. Will you be getting dedicated winter and summer tires? Do you want wheels for both or at least reuse stock wheels for winter or will you be running year round all seasons? Are you going to tune/modify or do any autocross or tracking? If the roads are bad enough that you don't want to lower, I'd stay away from 19" wheels, plus they'll make your brakes look tiny and silly.

Milogolfsw

A lot will depend on your eventual goals. Will you be getting dedicated winter and summer tires? Do you want wheels for both or at least reuse stock wheels for winter or will you be running year round all seasons? Are you going to tune/modify or do any autocross or tracking? If the roads are bad enough that you don't want to lower, I'd stay away from 19" wheels, plus they'll make your brakes look tiny and silly.

Thanks for the info, i will keep my stocks as a back up but plan on running these year round with all seasons as we don't usually have snow covered roads for long (4 inches drops then melts in a week). Won't be doing any autocrossing or tracking. May do some basic bolt on mods after a while but nothing short term since i don't want to fight with VW if i have any warranty issues come up.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I agree with the above recommendation then. A good set of 225 or 235 width tires on 18x8 should work great for you. Most of the VMR and neuspeed wheels are in the right offset to give you a mostly flush appearance that won't rub. As for sidewall, 40 will protect your wheels better, just watch for speedo adjustment. You can use willtheyfit.com to see how far off it will read from your stock tires and decide if it's worth adjusting. Post pictures when you finally pull the trigger!

Milogolfsw

https://www.continentaltire.com/product/extremecontact-dws-22540r18-92y/?

If you have crappy roads, stick with 18(x8)'s. 42-45 is a safe offset in case you ever lower the vehicle.

Thanks for the info and link

Does anyone know of any websites that will sell VMR's with tires? Fitment industries seems to have all the 45 offset back ordered. I would just order the wheels separately but i called all of the local tire shops in town and none of them seemed confident about not scratching my new wheels!

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Thanks for the info and link

Does anyone know of any websites that will sell VMR's with tires? Fitment industries seems to have all the 45 offset back ordered. I would just order the wheels separately but i called all of the local tire shops in town and none of them seemed confident about not scratching my new wheels!

Neuspeed just started selling direct with Michelin tires pre-installed and balanced, if that sways your choice at all. Regardless though, you'll need to find a shop as the tires will eventually need to be changed. Are there Firestone shops near you? They had 0 concerns putting low profile 19" tires on my wheels and did a great job. How about your dealer? Those are the standard GTI tire size. They should be very comfortable working on them.

Milogolfsw

Neuspeed just started selling direct with Michelin tires pre-installed and balanced, if that sways your choice at all. Regardless though, you'll need to find a shop as the tires will eventually need to be changed. Are there Firestone shops near you? They had 0 concerns putting low profile 19" tires on my wheels and did a great job. How about your dealer? Those are the standard GTI tire size. They should be very comfortable working on them.

Just came across neuspeed rse14 satin bronze 19x8 et45 on sale on their website for $229 per wheel with no tax and free shipping! Couldn't pass that up so i snagged them. They should have 16 left if anyone else is so inclined. Also called one more tire shop that i like and they said they can mount and balance for $20 per wheel and have touchless machines and never have an issue with scratching so i will roll the dice with them! Will post pics when i get them installed, went with a 235/35/19 tire to cushion the ride and fill the gap a little.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I believe Modbargains sells VMR and will add tires.

If roads are so bad, why not go 17s?

Milogolfsw

Sneak peak, love the color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Those look awesome. 19" wheels are the best size on our cars visually, even if you give up a little ride quality. Brakes don't look too undersized, which would have been my only concern. Great buy at the price you paid and it makes me want to get my wheels on ASAP.

Milogolfsw

Those look awesome. 19" wheels are the best size on our cars visually, even if you give up a little ride quality. Brakes don't look too undersized, which would have been my only concern. Great buy at the price you paid and it makes me want to get my wheels on ASAP.

Thanks i love the look, i went with a 235/35/19 toyo extensa hp2 and am very happy with the ride. I was expecting my teeth to fall out having such a small sidewall but it is barely worse than stock which really surprised me. Not sure if it is because of being a wider tire or just better quality. I also found a local speed shop that mounted and balanced them for $60 and they did a great job, no scratches and they even lined my car with cardboard before putting the old tires in. I was worried about the brakes too but they are bigger than i expected, not sure if the AWD golf's got bigger brakes than the FWD or not.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have 17" for both my summers & winters....& both sets look fab on my car...just see my build..I prefer max tyre & as 225 wide is what is run in 18" …..I like the extra sidewall of the 17" with a 225 width...