GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

pantsos

Ready to race!
Should i go with APR tune or Unitronic for IS20 swap ?
I’m already stage 2 on Unitronic and the good thing is I have to pay only 200$ to get stage 2 for IS20

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, if you have a tune already I would definitely go with whatever brand you already have for the discount. The differences are there, but not massive.

pantsos

Ready to race!
Yea, if you have a tune already I would definitely go with whatever brand you already have for the discount. The differences are there, but not massive.

Ok, I’m currently stage 2 Unitronic.
I have a CTS downpipe, K&N air filter( don’t believe in air intakes). When I’m about to install the IS20 I would need to install an intercooler( I was thinking Unitronic) any suggestions on IC?
Also I don’t know if I should switch my spark plugs for something else? Turbo inlet pipe?

Please give me some suggestions for those who already have done this upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok, I’m currently stage 2 Unitronic.
I have a CTS downpipe, K&N air filter( don’t believe in air intakes). When I’m about to install the IS20 I would need to install an intercooler( I was thinking Unitronic) any suggestions on IC?
Also I don’t know if I should switch my spark plugs for something else? Turbo inlet pipe?

Please give me some suggestions for those who already have done this upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The IC question is interesting to me. A stock GTI has the same intercooler as the current gen Golf (from what I've read). A Stage 1 GTI doesn't require an IC upgrade so why does the 1.8? Just questions I ask. The TIP seems like a complete waste but sure, why not..looks cool/can't hurt. On the plugs, Uni doesn't mention it so I would say stock plugs/stock gap is just fine.

pantsos

Ready to race!
The IC question is interesting to me. A stock GTI has the same intercooler as the current gen Golf (from what I've read). A Stage 1 GTI doesn't require an IC upgrade so why does the 1.8? Just questions I ask. The TIP seems like a complete waste but sure, why not..looks cool/can't hurt. On the plugs, Uni doesn't mention it so I would say stock plugs/stock gap is just fine.

This is not stage 1. We’re talking about turbo upgrade and stage 2.
Stage 1 ECU upgrade doesn’t require IC

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Neither does the IS20, but it's just a good idea. The IAT's get HOT sitting around on a warm day in the sun.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have an Alltrack IS20, IE intercooler, APR downpipe, 91 Octane APR tune. I have used APR on other cars and have been satisfied with all my previous modded cars. APR does recommend a different plug, it is on their website, I forget exactly what it is. My car runs like a beast, smooth and quick, super strong in upper gears and will pull over 90 on ramps if you don’t pay attention. I plan on running it on a local 1/8 mile track this season. We still have lots of snow on the ground here so it won’t be anytime soon!

mcgillis

I've been running APR is20 for about 5k miles now, so far so good. The other day I put my IE open intake on and heard a lot of chatter from the diverter valve at idle. I swapped it out with the one from my OEM is12 and the chatter stopped... for the most part. I noticed that after a few revs it will click loudly and rapidly a couple times before smoothing out. Asked my buddy (vw master tech) and he hasn't experienced any similar cases with the mk7 platform. It doesn't seem to impact performance but it weighs slightly on my conscience. Haven't scanned it for codes yet, no cel.

Car in question is a 2017 Alltrack S, 6MT. Plugs are new-ish NGKs.

Any of you guys experience this, or similar?

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for this awesome DIY Melted! This along w/the PDF got me to replace my blown IS20 no problem!

Anyone on the fence on attempting this, I'd say if you have any mechanical skills then go for it; this is not a very hard DIY... it is just time consuming.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Hey I remember reading the value for the is20 waste gate is different. I can't seem to find it anymore. Hopefully someone remembers. Is it 2.6 instead of 3.6? I know the instructions here say tighten until it fails then back off but I'm curious as to what value to be looking for as well. I'll be using the is20 waste gate actuator on a hybrid is38 if it makes a difference.
Thanks.

Last edited: