GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have experience with Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)? Or what's the best option?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Nice! What size did you end up getting?

I ordered mine last Friday.

245/40R18

Have had them on for a few days.

My first impression was "these are so cushy" they ride so smoothly, much better than my previous Kumho's. Absorb impacts much better. Not sure why. Sidewall doesn't seem soft or anything.

As far as handling. Car seems less frisky. With the Kumho, I could adjust the cars trajectory with amount of throttle. I need more turn in, let off the throttle and the tail will kick around. I have none of that now. Car just sticks. I guess at the same speeds, these tires just have MORE traction. The limits are higher now so to get that same behavior requires more speed.Which I'm not prepared for yet.

Tires also seem wider than the Kumho even thought tread width is less and actual width is the same.

So far, these are great. Not enough miles to get fully used to them though. Also, haven't driven in the rain. That's where I really want to test their merit.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics because everyone likes pics. Dirty wheels and all

Attachments

• img20190322_065125.jpg
    img20190322_065125.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 392
  • img20190322_065438.jpg
    img20190322_065438.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 375

Aelwulf

Ready to race!
Thanks for this discussion (and the post to the other thread). I had Contis put on my MINI a few years ago, only went with those over Michelins due to price. But they did pretty well and even worked ok in snow. But since I don't particularly plan on tracking the car it seems the dry/wet cornering/braking works at least about as well if not better on the Falkens, which translates into more useful as a DD. And if I do track it they still held up pretty well.

I may have to look at these more myself.

I also didn't know about the Firestone/Bridgestone thing on the Indy 500s. I've always been iffy on Firestone, and after the poor performance of the stock tires on my truck not keen on trying more. But Bridgestones can be ok, depending, and guess those do well for others.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I had Kuhmo Ecsta II's on my MK5 GTi and they were the worst tires I ever ran. In fact I took them off after only 9K miles I hated them so much. Worst wet tire ever and loud and harsh too. Switched back to DWS 06's. No wonder you love the new Falkins.

Murf1

Ready to race!
245/40R18

Have had them on for a few days.

My first impression was "these are so cushy" they ride so smoothly, much better than my previous Kumho's. Absorb impacts much better. Not sure why. Sidewall doesn't seem soft or anything.

As far as handling. Car seems less frisky. With the Kumho, I could adjust the cars trajectory with amount of throttle. I need more turn in, let off the throttle and the tail will kick around. I have none of that now. Car just sticks. I guess at the same speeds, these tires just have MORE traction. The limits are higher now so to get that same behavior requires more speed.Which I'm not prepared for yet.

Tires also seem wider than the Kumho even thought tread width is less and actual width is the same.

So far, these are great. Not enough miles to get fully used to them though. Also, haven't driven in the rain. That's where I really want to test their merit.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics because everyone likes pics. Dirty wheels and all

What rim width are those wheels?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I had Kuhmo Ecsta II's on my MK5 GTi and they were the worst tires I ever ran. In fact I took them off after only 9K miles I hated them so much. Worst wet tire ever and loud and harsh too. Switched back to DWS 06's. No wonder you love the new Falkins.

Maybe they are/were. Hard to say. Everything is relative. For me going from 15" stock tires to Falken Pro G4 was a huge difference (obviously). Despite this, I knew they weren't great. Then going to the Kumho, it was a huge difference. I didn't think they were that bad except in the wet. That being said, there was huge jump to the Falken FK510. Don't know if that's due to the Falken being great, the move from AS to summer or that the Kumbo were bad.

What rim width are those wheels?

18x8 et46
The tires have a 8.3" tread width stick is not far off from wheel width. I know idea would be 8.5" wheel, but I like having some rim protection. That being said, next wheels of there are some will be 8.5"

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Man, I just saw this thread. Not that it helps the OP, but I’ll give my impressions.

I picked up the PZ4s last year and I’m completely satisfied with them. They’re quiet, have outstanding grip yet have the lowest rolling resistance compared to their peers, and cheaper.

I bought mine around Memorial Day from discount tire. After all the rebates, they came to around $135/ea in the 235/40-18 size.

I’ll pick up another set for the wife’s GTI during the Memorial Day sale. If you go with the 225/40-18 size, they’ll be around $90/ea after all the rebates.

As for standing water grip...it’s standing water and you have to cognizant of that, just like other tires. On wet pavement, I have no issues with grip.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I just double checked... they came out to $120-ish each. ($100 discount tire rebate and $80 pirelli rebate)

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have had four sets of Indy 500s. GTI, Alltrack and Mini Cooper. WE are enthusiast and drive sportily. We have never noticed any wet problems. The Continentals were horrible tires! I have PS4 on my Audi 4.0t ....great tires but 308.00 each for 275/40/20 ! The Indy tires are truly amazing, predictable grip.

VivianBlack

I have the Stock 19" wheels with Pirelli P0 tires with just under 6k miles and there is just not enough sidewall to protect the rims. So far I have 3 Damaged rims and 2 tire sidewalls bulging all of which happened at different times. First was a manhole that was deeper than the road. Second was a pothole I couldn't avoid due to traffic beside me. Third was the a transition from blacktop to concrete road. I like the performance and look of the 19" but am currently pricing 18" sets.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I am in southern CA, so 9 months of summer a year, never snow :D
would the Pirellis give me better grip and somewhat more comfortable ride than my stock Hankooks? I saw them on sale for 120/ea

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Does anyone know how good are the Firestone Firehawk SZ90 compared to the Indy 500 ?

Also the Falken ZE310EC or ZE914EC compared to the Azensis FK510 ?

And also the BF GOODRICH G-GRIP (Go) compared to the G-Force Sport COMP-2 ?

:)

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion