GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Wow, so much information here. I'm glad I had a snow-day here in Virginia to try and digest it! In sniffing around on ebay, I just saw this device for $112US: 1pcs For VW Golf 7 MK7 Engine Splash Guards Shield Mud Flaps Fenders 2014-2018 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-For-V...eld-Mud-Flaps-Fenders-2014-2018/173219780406?

Anyone tried it or have thoughts?

Its not a VW item & those are cheap & flexible…

So basically not a skid tray..more an aero/splash tray..& the OEM "noise insulation" full engine bay length splash tray from the diesel cars is better...:cool:

elcid86

Passed Driver's Ed
Its not a VW item & those are cheap & flexible…

So basically not a skid tray..more an aero/splash tray..& the OEM "noise insulation" full engine bay length splash tray from the diesel cars is better...:cool:

Thanks Dave. I agree it's probably not a rigid as the TDI tray that came on my car and no where near that of the skid trays discussed here. Though I do like the hatches that give access to oil drain plug, etc. (I have that on my E46 BMW). I'm beginning to think the OE tray I have is "good enough", though I do have a case of the "I wants"... I may go for the exhaust tunnel front cover.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Thanks Golfdave for putting all this info together!

Just ordered all of it, front to back, with the Aero front tray. Came to $218 for everything shipped to my local dealer. Not bad.

Doing this for aero and noise mitigation mainly. I will post my impressions once installed.

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry if this has been mentioned. I've looked through the thread more than once, but I might have missed it.

I'm getting ready to install these aero under trays, but unsure how it will affect cooling.

Has anyone removed the foam trim at the back of the engine compartment? Just wondering if that would allow air to flow through, or if it would cause any issues. Maybe rain getting into the engine compartment more than it should.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Still a brilliant thread and am thinking about retrofitting everything...but my only concern is that the heat generated from my hybrid turbo doubling engine output+higher flowing downpipe will possibly cause too much heat and may get into the cabin when I fit the exhaust covers.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Still a brilliant thread and am thinking about retrofitting everything...but my only concern is that the heat generated from my hybrid turbo doubling engine output+higher flowing downpipe will possibly cause too much heat and may get into the cabin when I fit the exhaust covers.

Shouldn't too much....only when you full length cover the exhaust tunnel by making a full length cover as one member did....the items in this thread are all made for the Golf...& leave air flow to exit ...etc..

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Shouldn't too much....only when you full length cover the exhaust tunnel by making a full length cover as one member did....the items in this thread are all made for the Golf...& leave air flow to exit ...etc..

Ah you've convinced me. Time to get ordering, thanks Dave :D

theintro334

Is anyone using these skid trays with an aftermarket oil pan?

I am about to order the Wortec Aluminum pan which sits 1.8-2cm (.75 inch) lower than oem pans.

Will I have any issues with fitting the skid tray over this pan?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Is anyone using these skid trays with an aftermarket oil pan?

I am about to order the Wortec Aluminum pan which sits 1.8-2cm (.75 inch) lower than oem pans.

Will I have any issues with fitting the skid tray over this pan?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
FWIW, the Wrotec may be the worst choice possible for an aftermarket oil pan. Might want to rethink that one.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
FWIW, the Wrotec may be the worst choice possible for an aftermarket oil pan. Might want to rethink that one.
Can we get some more info on why they are the worst? There was nonegiven

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie

Just got everything (minus the front skid/aero tray and the stone guards, those can learn to deal with rocks) ordered. For an mk7 gti. Will report back whenever it gets here, and see if someone who has no custom fab skills or a dremel can trim the rear exhaust cover to perfect fitment.

I believe in diy, even if I’m not the mechanically inclined, but i've done all my service on all my cars including dsg flush and a majority of my EASIER mods including mounts, subwoofer/amp, mk7.5 tails and wiring, short shifter, coilovers, etc. (Billy at A2B has done my turbo/hpfp/dp/ic/clutch) but never had to trim something to fit, so this will be interesting lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cinderbike

Ready to race!
Did these change with the 7.5 or does the guide and P/N still apply? Would love to add more road/salt protection to my GTI.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Did these change with the 7.5 or does the guide and P/N still apply? Would love to add more road/salt protection to my GTI.

MK7.5 is that same car as MK7..on the underside....