GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Plugging in USB

805gti

Hi everyone,
I love my GTI...except for the fact that I have the worst time getting my fingers into that tight spot to plug the USB in for CarPlay....I thought I saw a thread on this but I can't find it...does anyone know or do you have suggestions on an aftermarket set up that is a cleaner and easier way to plug in?
Thanks!

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I notched out a slit in the plastic under the shift boot trim and ran the wire down through the center console and back up the outside. Cubby can stay closed and I put my phone in the cup holder or on the front seat. USB is always plugged in

edrex

Ready to race!
I notched out a slit in the plastic under the shift boot trim and ran the wire down through the center console and back up the outside. Cubby can stay closed and I put my phone in the cup holder or on the front seat. USB is always plugged in

Can you post some pics of this? Sounds like a great solution to keep things clean

805gti

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I usually leave it plugged in but I don't like all the wire and my phone ends up sliding around or taking up a cup holder. I like that dock idea as it cleans it up a bit. I'd also be curious to see some photos of your fix Petey !

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
Here's what I did with mine. Haven't opened my cubby since I did this

Edit: might be sideways...

Attachments

• IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_2513.jpg
    IMG_2513.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 513

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Part of my (more complex) setup involves buying a spare VW usb cable (proprietary yellow and green connections) from ebay to replace the stock one and opening it up to splice the 4 wires to a dedicated lighting cable (iphone obvioulsy) and running it through the side of the center console to mate up to my phone mounted next to my wiper stalk. "T-ing" off this cable will give you a dedicated loose cord you can shut the door to the actual USB port and it looks wayyy cleaner this way. Super easy to do, just haven't installed it yet because my execution will expand on this concept I outlined above.