GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the TPMS (SET!) button to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave, do you have any more pictures on how to add the wire to the abs connector? Do you have to do everything with small pliers through the back of the bulk head on the connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

read the post:-

"To release the ABS connector there is a red lock to undo & then move the grey lever which unlocks & pushes the connector out of the socket. The outer cover removes easily which exposes the wires as per my photograph. You will initially find a brown short plastic “dummy” pin in the pin slot you require. To remove this & insert the new wire you have to unlock the pins. On both the short sides of the plug there is a hole which has purple plastic visible, this is the locking shim. Press this in with a slot head screwdriver. If it does not work on one side try the other side. Then you can remove the “dummy” & insert the new wire. Then remember to re-lock the purple shim by pressing it in the other hole from the release hole!"

& my car is Uk spec so our steering wheel etc is on the other side compared to USA/Europe/..if you are from USA/europe…

You do the re-wire or the ABS unit from the engine bay side.....just release connector from ABS unit remove angle cover, undo purple internal shim & remove dummy wire...insert new wire...etc...

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Hi Golf Dave, Thanks for sharing the DIY.,

I was looking to do this modification on my 2017 MK7 Golf TSI., after removing ABS connector harness, it looks like I may be having the 38 pin connector and not 46. Any idea if this model of ABS Controller (5Q0 614 517 AF) supports this hardwire TPMS Reset functionality ?

Attached below is pin out as per VAG ELSA -

MK7_Golf_ABS_Connections_38PIN.jpg

It has just the ESP connection at PIN 4 (not 41). Any pointer here for the TPMS Set ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You have pin 4 for the ESP/ESC switch....nothing else..so it looks like via the touch screen only..!!

BUT that's according to VW...who do not make the ABS unit...VW only state their wires to the unit...

NOT the pins on the PCB board in the ABS unit....so any empty wires on the VW side could be connected pins on the PCB board!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Thats right, its a BOSCH unit. I looked at the pins on the ABS Side, all the 38 Pins are populated. ..

What's the part # on your ABS controller?

My NAR 2017 GSW 1.8 TSI has ABS controller (J104) 5Q0614517AF, made by Bosch

The Erwin Manual for my car shows a 46 pin connector. Have not verified this in person. Interested in doing this mod.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
What's the part # on your ABS controller?

My NAR 2017 GSW 1.8 TSI has ABS controller (J104) 5Q0614517AF, made by Bosch

The Erwin Manual for my car shows a 46 pin connector. Have not verified this in person. Interested in doing this mod.

Yep that the exact same ABS module on my vehicle as well., my part number is - ABS Controller (5Q0 614 517 AF), which is a 38 Pin version. the manual from ELSAWIN publishes the diagram both for 38 and 46 Pin versions.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Yep that the exact same ABS module on my vehicle as well., my part number is - ABS Controller (5Q0 614 517 AF), which is a 38 Pin version. the manual from ELSAWIN publishes the diagram both for 38 and 46 Pin versions.

Bummer, guess I won't be doing this mod...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
you need to know what the ABS module pin out are...NOT the VW wiring diagram as they don't use them now...but I recon the ABS unit will still have the pin outs on the PCB board side...

Florian

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
golf7 full very full
Hello, I tried this retrofit, I plugged as shown and unfortunately the button does not activate anything, I said that I equipped my car with a real TPMS system with the pressure in each wheel live on the discover

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello, I tried this retrofit, I plugged as shown and unfortunately the button does not activate anything, I said that I equipped my car with a real TPMS system with the pressure in each wheel live on the discover

I have no idea if it will work with live TPMS sensors as the VW coding to change from passive to active TPMS sensors might bypass any button fitted.....However did you press & hold down the button for about 6 seconds?..it takes a long hold down to activate the reset using the button..this to prevent accidental reset...:cool:

Florian

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
golf7 full very full
Hi my friend, thank you for answering me, you think it's impossible with the live tpms? I know that with the tpms we can not perform SET, me what I want it is just displayed the menu when I press the button only that, you think it's possible to do that? I stayed a long time on it nothing appeared

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I know that with the tpms we can not perform SET, me what I want it is just displayed the menu when I press the button only that, you think it's possible to do that?

The TPMS button is only for carrying out a SET of the TPMS system....it is wired directly to a pin out on the ABS unit which is only for this function....It can not turn on the display to show the TMPS menu options for live (active) TPMS..

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
@golfdave so I had some time this weekend and tried to take some parts apart to try this retrofit. I started with the driver side, to check the T17d connector (black). After inspecting it, I noticed it only had 5 wires going into it so I realized I couldn't use it to wire the ESP off/TPMS set button so I had to go straight to the ABS unit.

I want to wire both the ESP off/TPMS SET! buttons at the same time. I realized the firewall you used is the one on the driver side (EU cars) footwell as it goes behind the battery and then to the ABS unit.

My question is -- if I don't use Fuse 34, how shall I power both these buttons?

From my understanding:

SET! Button:
Pin 10 (SET! switch) -> ??? (12V)
Pin 9 (SET! switch) -> Pin 41 (ABS Controller)

ESP off Button:
Pin 10 (switch) -> ??? (12V)
Pin 9 (switch) -> Pin ??? (ABS Controller)

Thanks.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You have to use the same 12v wire as the ABS does as its the same electrical circuit...all the pin outs are in both the how to guides....

You have to also use the correct pins on the ABS as you are using the ABS unit "aux button" pins for the TPMS & the ESC....