GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question About Changing Fluids

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I take my car to the track in the summer and I have questions about when the fluids should changed. At the track, we are split into two or three groups where each group has 20 minute per session for 4 hours. Rarely do we have the track for the whole day. Last year, I only went all out for a total of about 7 to 10 minutes per session, mainly because I do a warm up and cool down lap and I'm limited by the stock Hankook tires and brakes. Now that they're worn and soon to be replaced, I anticpate pushing my otherwise stock car a bit harder.

For the engine, I use Castrol 0W40 European Formula. I might run Motul X-Cess 5W40 in the future. How often should I do an oil change in this scenario? At the moment, I am still using oil from my last track day back in October. I already reduced the oil change interval to take into account of my track driving, and am due for an oil change in mid March.

For the brake fluids, I plan on upgrading to Motul or StopTech brake fluids which have a higher boiling point. I plan to flush them out once a year, and bleeding them every 3rd or 4th track day.

Are there any other fluids I need to worry about? Maybe the DSG fluid or coolant?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Oil I leave at 7500 miles, brake fluid twice/year I rarely bleed them, haldex every 20k. I track 4-5 times/year.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I accelerate all fluid replacements since I am averaging 12 HPDE days per year over the 4 years that I have owned this car.

Every 6 track days: engine oil
Annual: brake and Haldex
Biennial: DSG
Quadrennial: coolant

I have been using Pennzoil 5W-40, which meets the 502 000 spec. I switched to Motul 8100 5W-40 recently because it was easier to get this time. I have run multiple oil analyses reports with Blackstone Labs on the Pennzoil oil. The viscosity tests indicate that the used oil's viscosity is above 30W when it is replaced, which is ok. I sent out my first Motul oil change sample to them this week and am interested to see the results.

I switched from ATE to Motul RBF600 fluid early in 2018 after boiling the fluid at Laguna Seca. I have not needed to bleed the brakes between fluid changes.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I go to the track anywhere from 10-15 times a year, In the spring I typically flush all the 50/50 coolant out and run 100% water with some water wetter mixed in. Change your trans fluid yearly, and oil changes I'd definitely do a lot more often than normal. You'd be doing yourself a favor by switching to a motul or liquimoly oil which handle the heat a little better.

I have a bbk in front and run aggressive track pads + sticky tires, I had problems with just about every brake fluid out there (rbf600, stoptech, ate200) until I finally switched to Castrol SRF. It's expensive but if you're pushing your car it's well worth the extra cost. I can drive 30 min sessions on a track and have a very firm pedal all day.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Thanks guys for your response. Will take your experience and come up with a plan for this year. Probably won't change the coolant or DSG fluid this year. Maybe next? Will definitely run a shorter DSG fluid interval to keep it in good shape. Maybe switch to Motul DCTF?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
What engine oil do you guys use when you track the car? I'm running Castrol European Formula 0W40 and I did 2.5 track days (one full, one half, and one for an hour before I went deep into the grass and got stuck) and I'm wondering whether I should do an oil change now or wait till after the next full track day.

Same question for the brake fluid as well, currently running Motul RBF600. Also how do I check and see if the brake fluids are cooked or not?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
What engine oil do you guys use when you track the car? I'm running Castrol European Formula 0W40 and I did 2.5 track days (one full, one half, and one for an hour before I went deep into the grass and got stuck) and I'm wondering whether I should do an oil change now or wait till after the next full track day.

Same question for the brake fluid as well, currently running Motul RBF600. Also how do I check and see if the brake fluids are cooked or not?
With oil that thin I would change it. I was running the OEM Castrol 5w-40 but switched to motul 5w-40 at my shops recommendation since I track it.

The motul fluid might need a bleed every couple of days but you shouldn't need to flush the system but once a year.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
With oil that thin I would change it. I was running the OEM Castrol 5w-40 but switched to motul 5w-40 at my shops recommendation since I track it.

The motul fluid might need a bleed every couple of days but you shouldn't need to flush the system but once a year.

Do you see or feel a difference with Motul 5W40? Motul costs quite a bit here in Canada but it's fairly popular among the people that track as well. Saw my engine oil go up to 130C yesterday lol. The Castrol 5W40 costs as much as the European Fromula 0W40, but apparently they're not "true synthetics" which is why I use 0W40 instead.

My mechanic was able to flush my brakes using 1.5 bottles last time. He tracks his car too so I think it's good enough?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Do you see or feel a difference with Motul 5W40? Motul costs quite a bit here in Canada but it's fairly popular among the people that track as well. Saw my engine oil go up to 130C yesterday lol. The Castrol 5W40 costs as much as the European Fromula 0W40, but apparently they're not "true synthetics" which is why I use 0W40 instead.

My mechanic was able to flush my brakes using 1.5 bottles last time. He tracks his car too so I think it's good enough?

I haven't tracked in the motul yet. It was $70 at the dealer for OEM Castrol vs. $130 at my shop for motul (USD). Oil was a bit more plus his higher labor rate.

I wouldn't waste the time doing a full flush. Even full time track rats do a full flush like 1-2 times a year (they do 15ish full weekend events) and just bleed them often (they use ate super blue tho which is cheap af). I do 5 or so events and flush once a year and bleed them maybe once or twice Max depending on pedal feel. I've never seen dirty fluid come out unless I've toasted my brakes which has only happened on the OEM pp setup.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I haven't tracked in the motul yet. It was $70 at the dealer for OEM Castrol vs. $130 at my shop for motul (USD). Oil was a bit more plus his higher labor rate.

I wouldn't waste the time doing a full flush. Even full time track rats do a full flush like 1-2 times a year (they do 15ish full weekend events) and just bleed them often (they use ate super blue tho which is cheap af). I do 5 or so events and flush once a year and bleed them maybe once or twice Max depending on pedal feel. I've never seen dirty fluid come out unless I've toasted my brakes which has only happened on the OEM pp setup.

How does your engine feel with the Motul oil? Did you hit the track yet? Canadian Tire has Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Euro in 5W40 $10 for 5L right now so thinking of picking some up. $10 for a whole jug is mighty cheap and should be similar to my Castrol.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
How does your engine feel with the Motul oil? Did you hit the track yet? Canadian Tire has Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Euro in 5W40 $10 for 5L right now so thinking of picking some up. $10 for a whole jug is mighty cheap and should be similar to my Castrol.
Yes I've tracked since. Idk how to "feel" a difference. It ran a few degrees cooler but that's all I noticed.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Yes I've tracked since. Idk how to "feel" a difference. It ran a few degrees cooler but that's all I noticed.

Some people say their engine runs smoother, lower temps, revs faster lol. I dunno but I consider it placebo.