GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chose wrong model in OBD Eleven, any help?

rstaylor25

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I posted this same issue on the OBD Eleven forum, to which I got one reply in German..

So I set up OBD Eleven and entered my vin, but I selected 2017+ Golf (facelift) as my model, when I should have chosen 2012-2017 (non facelift) Golf. I deleted the car from the in app Garage, but reentering my VIN just brings back the facelift model Golf. I do have a 2017 NA spec Golf TSI, but it is not a facelift model.

It seems that the VIN is tied to my OBD11 account and not just stored on my tablet. I contacted them in app to which they told me I have the correct model selected. Would I be fine with just changing one of the digits on the VIN to enter a non facelift Golf, or could this cause issues when coding? For example, if I enter my VIN but change the final digit to 0 it enters in the app as a non facelift Golf.

I'm pretty baffled by how shit their support line is. One reply a day and now it looks like they've ghosted me through the in app messenger.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Hey guys, I posted this same issue on the OBD Eleven forum, to which I got one reply in German..

So I set up OBD Eleven and entered my vin, but I selected 2017+ Golf (facelift) as my model, when I should have chosen 2012-2017 (non facelift) Golf. I deleted the car from the in app Garage, but reentering my VIN just brings back the facelift model Golf. I do have a 2017 NA spec Golf TSI, but it is not a facelift model.

It seems that the VIN is tied to my OBD11 account and not just stored on my tablet. I contacted them in app to which they told me I have the correct model selected. Would I be fine with just changing one of the digits on the VIN to enter a non facelift Golf, or could this cause issues when coding? For example, if I enter my VIN but change the final digit to 0 it enters in the app as a non facelift Golf.

I'm pretty baffled by how shit their support line is. One reply a day and now it looks like they've ghosted me through the in app messenger.

I am pretty sure that doesn't matter at all for using this. As long as you can get to the control modules and make your changes, it shouldn't matter. Maybe for the apps that require credits?

I actually had an issue and I went through their site support email and went back and forth nearly real-time with someone over there. Didn't solve it but hey..ahhahahaha

Last edited:

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Email the folks at Deutche Auto Parts (www.shopdap.com). They were the first importers of OBD11, I believe, and have a pretty deep understanding of it. I'm sure they can help.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
My gut feeling tells me the VIN is what the APP tracks to what version car you have. Selecting the non-facelift/facelift model is (I think) more for the picture you see for your profile to make it easier for you to distinguish which car you are working on if you have multiple cars in your OBD11.

That said, I would keep the VIN as it is especially if OBD11 stated they see your registration. I would try a simple app or two like soundaktor volume change to verify if it works correctly before going into the more in-depth changes.