GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

air intake taxonomy

tortoise

Ready to race!
Newbie here looking to clarify the various bits and pieces that go into turbo flow.

I understand we have

1) Turbo inlet: Between airbox and turbo.
2) Turbo discharge: From turbo to intercooler.
3) Throttle pipe: From intercooler to throttle body.

From there, I find the aftermarket nomenclature somewhat confusing. For example, APR offers this terrific cutaway for its boost hose kit...

https://www.goapr.com/products/boost_hoses_mqb.html

Note the "throttle body hose" in the middle of it all. Is that the same (or, rather, does it perform the same function) as the "throttle body pipe" offered by Spulen? (https://www.uspmotorsports.com/SPULEN-MK7-A3-Throttle-Pipe.html)

Likewise, note APR's "turbo outlet hose" on top of the engine, which appears to link to a black pipe leading to the intercooler. Is that the functional equivalent as, say, NeuSpeed's "Hi-Flo Turbo Discharge Conversion"? (http://www.neuspeed.com/480271-hi-flo-turbo-discharge-conversion-tsi.html)

Thanks, in advance, for anyone's input...and everyone's patience with what I am sure are rudimentary questions. Alas, a solid hour and a half of spelunking through these and other forums has not entirely clarified matters for this particular knucklehead.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
To keep it simple you don’t need to touch any of that to make more power, the stock intake, turbo inlet, turbo muffler, turbo discharge pipe & throttle body pipe are fine.

With that said we all like mods, so if you feel the need to do an intake to hear the turbo or look good with the hood popped go for it, just don’t get too excited for gains as they’ll be minimal

Actually here’s a list to help weed out marketing department hype https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

tortoise

Ready to race!
To keep it simple you don’t need to touch any of that to make more power, the stock intake, turbo inlet, turbo muffler, turbo discharge pipe & throttle body pipe are fine.

With that said we all like mods, so if you feel the need to do an intake to hear the turbo or look good with the hood popped go for it, just don’t get too excited for gains as they’ll be minimal

Actually here’s a list to help weed out marketing department hype https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

I get that, I'm just trying to understand what is what here and, for whatever reason, I can't seem to find an answer. Might you be able to shed light on it?

Are those pairs I cited operationally equivalent but just going by different names?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I get that, I'm just trying to understand what is what here and, for whatever reason, I can't seem to find an answer. Might you be able to shed light on it?

Are those pairs I cited operationally equivalent but just going by different names?

In reference to the throttle body hose vs pipe:

Apr is trying to sell you just a silicone coupler to replace the factory rubber and spulen is repalcing the plastic tubing with aluminum (that may or may not fit according to reviews I’ve stumbled across).

azthegame

Ready to race!
what jake said... not sure why hose and pipe were difficult to differentiate. On the APR webpage, it highlights the hose, and you see a pipe between.. spulen has the pipe, APR had the hose. lol

tortoise

Ready to race!
what jake said... not sure why hose and pipe were difficult to differentiate. On the APR webpage, it highlights the hose, and you see a pipe between.. spulen has the pipe, APR had the hose. lol

Your lol’ing condescension notwithstanding, from what I can see, it’s not at all clear. APR sells a hose, Spulen sells a pipe. Are they functionally equivalent? Or not?

Yes, they are? Or no, they’re not?

You appear to be saying that APR’s hose fits onto Spulen’s pipe (despite the fact that the shape of Spulen’s pipe does not (to my eye) match the “pipe” suggested in APR’s rendering.

The previous poster appears to be saying that the two are interchangeable, although they don’t look at all alike.

So which is it?

Seems like this should be answerable without digressions into the uselessness of intake mods or why I’m not finding this self-evident. Then again, as I said, I’m new to this grease-monkey thing.

Look forward to a just-the-facts response from anybody.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
They are not interchangeable, the hose joins the pipe to the throttle body.

They are both made to fit the OEM version of each other, so save for terrible quality control they should be compatible to run together.

Regardless I cannot stress enough what a waste of time & money either or both would be

On the grease monkey note I’m a aircraft technician for a major airline and run a fabrication business building parts for this platform. So in regards to you saying Azthegame was disrespectful I’d have to say you’re kind of a hypocrite, but I’m happy to help none the less (because I don’t let stuff like that bother me)

Last edited:

azthegame

Ready to race!
And you still can't comprehend even after I straight up told you (going off the picture on Apr) that the hoses that are highlighted are what Apr sells. And the pipe on between is what the spulen piece is.

You still can't get it even after that, so... If you want a REAL condescending response, I can definitely give it to you. Want me to record a 5 year old being asked which item is which based on the diagram and see what they say?

Quit taking your own feelings of "OMG why am I this dense?!" and projecting it to us.

Tortoise is an appropriate name for you since you seem to be slow

tortoise

Ready to race!
On the grease monkey note I’m a aircraft technician for a major airline and run a fabrication business building parts for this platform. So in regards to you saying Azthegame was disrespectful I’d have to say you’re kind of a hypocrite, but I’m happy to help none the less (because I don’t let stuff like that bother me)

I'm sorry you took offense at the grease monkey comment, as it was not meant as an ad hominem attack on you or anyone else. What puzzles me...

And you still can't comprehend even after I straight up told you (going off the picture on Apr) that the hoses that are highlighted are what Apr sells. And the pipe on between is what the spulen piece is.

You still can't get it even after that, so... If you want a REAL condescending response, I can definitely give it to you. Want me to record a 5 year old being asked which item is which based on the diagram and see what they say?

Quit taking your own feelings of "OMG why am I this dense?!" and projecting it to us.

Tortoise is an appropriate name for you since you seem to be slow

...is why my simple query became the occasion for such vituperation.

Indeed, you're right, a "normal" five year old will frequently see things that I will not as I am dyslexic. Though I have overcome most hurdles wherein the alphabet is concerned, diagrams remain a problem.

This was an interesting encounter. It reminds me of the teasing I used to endure in elementary school. Haven't run into it as an adult, though.

Thanks, GTIJake, for answering my question.

Last edited:

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Note the "throttle body hose" in the middle of it all. Is that the same (or, rather, does it perform the same function) as the "throttle body pipe" offered by Spulen? (https://www.uspmotorsports.com/SPULEN-MK7-A3-Throttle-Pipe.html)

No, on APRs picture the Spulen pipe would be the part between APRs throttle body hose and intercooler outlet hose.

Likewise, note APR's "turbo outlet hose" on top of the engine, which appears to link to a black pipe leading to the intercooler. Is that the functional equivalent as, say, NeuSpeed's "Hi-Flo Turbo Discharge Conversion"? (http://www.neuspeed.com/480271-hi-flo-turbo-discharge-conversion-tsi.html)

APRs Turbo Outlet Hose is similar to the hose contained in the Neuspeed Discharge Conversion kit, but Neuspeeds kit also contains the hardpipe that APRs hose just connects to.

Also, as for the turbo inlet, there's some confusing terminology there. APR refers to the second half of their carbon fiber airbox hardpipe as a Turbo Inlet Pipe, but they also sell the metal elbow that connects to the turbo compressor inlet, which is also called a Turbo Inlet Pipe, but they are two distinctly different parts.

tortoise

Ready to race!
No, on APRs picture the Spulen pipe would be the part between APRs throttle body hose and intercooler outlet hose.

APRs Turbo Outlet Hose is similar to the hose contained in the Neuspeed Discharge Conversion kit, but Neuspeeds kit also contains the hardpipe that APRs hose just connects to.

Also, as for the turbo inlet, there's some confusing terminology there. APR refers to the second half of their carbon fiber airbox hardpipe as a Turbo Inlet Pipe, but they also sell the metal elbow that connects to the turbo compressor inlet, which is also called a Turbo Inlet Pipe, but they are two distinctly different parts.

Thank you!

bebersol

Ready to race!
Turbos are a lot simpler than you think.

All you need to know is if your on the vacuum side of your turbo or the compression side of the turbo.

Vacuum side = everything in front of the turbo to where air enters the engine compartment
compression side = everything from the turbo to the intake runners/ cylinder head.

on the pre-turbo side it's mostly ridged plastic, metal and/or thick silicon so it doesn't collapse under heavy boost (actually heavy vacuum).

on the post turbo side the OE pipes are squished, a technical term, in some areas for installation convenience and clearance, and the hoses are mostly rubber.

There is also a hose that runs from the pressure side (at the diverter value in front of the MAF) to the intake pipe usually just in from of the turbo. this is to allow equalization of pressure when you suddenly let off the throttle or you suffer a condition known as turbo overpressure. Some systems eliminate this hose by replacing the diverter with a blow off value/ BOV (which makes a bunch of boy racer noises).

there's a lot of aftermarket stuff available on both sides of the turbo, most CAI intakes flow much better than the OE setup which has a built in muffler to reduce those boy racer noises, and paper filters which are very efficient at cleaning but no so efficient at flowing. IMHO CAI's are your best bang for the buck.

On the pressured side some of the after market solutions provide larger diameter/ single diameter pipes, higher flow inter-coolers, and/ or silicon hoses (which aren't as spongy after time).

unless you building a race engine a lot of the post turbo side stuff is expensive and a real pain to install for the performance gains, again IMHO.

I built my own CAI because I didn't like the filter media that comes with most CAI systems.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
What is the difference between a bowl and a bong?

To OP, stop reading descriptions which are often misleading and confusing and go off the pictures. If two things you think are similar, look extremely different, then that is likely your answer. As far as performance goes no hoses or pipes or any of that malarkey will do anything.