GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold Air Intake flutter noise?

MK7Blythiepoo

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently tuned my 2016 MK7 gti with a JB4 tuner and everything has been great so far, so since I’m running higher boost (24psi) I decided it’s time for a bigger tubro inlet pipe and an R600 intake, first I installed the CTS turbo inlet pipe and drove around with that and it’s awesome less turbo lag better response no strange noises, so last night I had gotten off work and installed my R600 Intake and High flow intake hose installed it all and man am I in loooove with the spooling noise I can hear my turbo spooling loudly even with my windows up! But I noticed something slightly off, once I hit around 4-5k rpm I start getting a very rapid fluttering noise, it doesn’t necessarily sound like compressor surge (I assume it’s my intake taking in much more air than the stock) but I’m not 100% sure what it is exactly. Is it normal to have that with a bigger intake that’s less restrictive and can suck in more air? And if it is compresser surge (praying it’s not lol) my theory on how to resolve it would be getting high flow outlet pipes because if my turbo can suck in more air than it could put out that might be what’s causing it but not 100% sure like I said has anybody had this problem or can give me any input? I don’t want to damage my turbo! :confused:

MK7Blythiepoo

Passed Driver's Ed

MK7Blythiepoo

Passed Driver's Ed
It's the DV, you just never heard it before.

Oh okay I just thought the DV made the whoosh sound when you shift, thanks for the clarification!

railroader

Autocross Newbie
My dv rapidly releases pressure on Initial spool when floored at low rpm in like 3rd, 4th gear.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I know this is an older thread, but it's the first when Googling anything related to MK7 CAI flutter noise.

I installed an ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik intake, and just want to make sure what I'm hearing is normal. Under throttle, I can hear the sucking noise of the intake, then it just sounds like it's sucking in too much and getting choked up. It sounds like Hannibal Lecter. I've heard videos of the "schoo schoo schoo" pigeon noise turbo compression surge, and it doesn't sound like that.

May be paranoid, but still normal?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I know this is an older thread, but it's the first when Googling anything related to MK7 CAI flutter noise.

I installed an ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik intake, and just want to make sure what I'm hearing is normal. Under throttle, I can hear the sucking noise of the intake, then it just sounds like it's sucking in too much and getting choked up. It sounds like Hannibal Lecter. I've heard videos of the "schoo schoo schoo" pigeon noise turbo compression surge, and it doesn't sound like that.

May be paranoid, but still normal?

It sounds normal but you could post a video so we could hear it. Not sure what you mean by choked up.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It sounds normal but you could post a video so we could hear it. Not sure what you mean by choked up.
Just like it's sucking in more air than it can handle. You can hear air being sucked in, then starts getting overloaded with how much air it's sucking in. I'll get a video of it tomorrow if I can.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
https://youtu.be/3kh9Has7aso

Best video I could get of it, but still hard to hear. You can hear the intake sucking in air smoothly, but then it gets choppy.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You're right it's hard to hear as in I can't.
Can here it much better hear with a little bit of volume.

https://youtu.be/uCX38dyjT8I

You can hear the intake start sucking in air, then in between 4 & 5 seconds in the video, you can hear the "choppiness" in referencing, then the "woosh" of the turbo noise.

Ignore the hairy leg.