GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exactly what setting to shut off engine?

adam1991

Banned
Bingo! Owner does NOT KNOW with certainty what the conditions are to arrive at an outcome and that is the very definition of inconsistent.

Absolutely not. The owner is told that there are a number of conditions that will affect this, and in fact is told that many of those conditions are ones that the user CAN'T know--like state of battery charge.

Just the simple fact that there are things you can't know, should tell you volumes. You seem to be obsessed over not being able to know absolutely every condition at every moment, and you declare that to be VW's fault.

Your implication that just because I don't know all possibly logic paths is MY fault for "not understanding how it works" when the car is doing something different on any given day and that's not proper.

It's your responsibility to acknowledge and accept that "yeah, they say it can happen for reasons I don't know".

What does my profession have to do with your reply? You're stating it as if that's a problem so you're directly attacking me because of my job.

Well, you're putting forth that operating a simple modern day Golf is beyond the abilities of an aerospace engineer.

That's kind of frightening.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
You seem to be obsessed over not being able to know absolutely every condition at every moment, and you declare that to be VW's fault.
And you are obsessed over this thread. You need to chill out and walk away. If this is so frustrating to you, please move on.

whaglfa

Apparently disabling the start/stop system is not 100% foolproof as the car seems to do it anyway sometimes.

Are you saying that when you disable start & stop on your car with the button if you put it in park it shuts off the engine?
This never happens on mine.

adam1991

Banned
Are you saying that when you disable start & stop on your car with the button if you put it in park it shuts off the engine?

That would point to a SERIOUSLY broken system, if it does that. I would fear driving it anywhere, if it behaved like that.

I'm sure the engineer has already tested for that. ??

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, this is what happens but only sometimes. I'm trying to determine what specific criteria is making the car decide this is the appropriate action but have yet been unable to pin it down.

adam1991

Banned
You keep proving me right. You're more concerned with bashing me than simply moving on.

Well, that's a datum point you'd not given us.

You're comfortable driving a car that shuts itself off DESPITE being told, explicitly, never to do that under any circumstances??

Tell us again why you aren't at the dealer explaining that you fear for your life if you drive the car??

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Well, that's a datum point you'd not given us.

You're comfortable driving a car that shuts itself off DESPITE being told, explicitly, never to do that under any circumstances??

Tell us again why you aren't at the dealer explaining that you fear for your life if you drive the car??
Seriously?

What car have you ever driven that doesn't come to a screeching halt when shifting into Park under motion? Uh, none I bet. So there's no life-threatening issue here. And who told me "explicitly, never to do that under any circumstances??" I guess I better RTFM to see where it says to never drive a car in Park. Must have missed that one.

adam1991

Banned
You miss the point 100%.

You're saying that you shut off the stop/start, yet you have demonstrated instances of it shutting itself off.

Yes, it shut itself off when put into Park. But what promises do you have that the shutting off won't happen while you're driving?

You did, after all, turn off the stop/start feature. So it shouldn't be doing that AT ALL.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
You miss the point 100%.

You're saying that you shut off the stop/start, yet you have demonstrated instances of it shutting itself off.

Yes, it shut itself off when put into Park. But what promises do you have that the shutting off won't happen while you're driving?

You did, after all, turn off the stop/start feature. So it shouldn't be doing that AT ALL.
So it sure sounds like the car is working inconsistently. We're making progress!

adam1991

Banned
So you initially trusted, after you put your car in Park but without pushing the Off button, that your car was actually off--when it wasn't necessarily so.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
So you initially trusted, after you put your car in Park but without pushing the Off button, that your car was actually off--when it wasn't necessarily so.
Evidently you're making up your own OP post. Go read it again. You apparently can't tell the difference between my question and what is happening to these people.

adam1991

Banned
Evidently you're making up your own OP post. Go read it again. You apparently can't tell the difference between my question and what is happening to these people.

Your OP said the engine was off--but then suddenly one day it wasn't off.

What's to say that when you first had it, the SYSTEM was or wasn't off? You didn't know. All you knew was that the engine was not running.

Unless the SYSTEM is off, anything can happen.

(And, of course, if the SYSTEM was on but it turned the engine off while it was in your garage, what's to say it wouldn't turn the engine off while on the road?)