GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake - Integrated Engineering vs APR

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
How much of sound difference is there between open intake and closed one?
YouTube clips don't really help here...

I think I'm starting to confuse myself with what to get and which brand to go with.

There's a pretty substantial difference between the two. The video's don't really do it justice. You can easily tell the difference in person. I had a CTS intake before the Forge CF one that I have now and it's a night and day difference. Open intakes aren't great for performance, because they have a tendency to draw in hot air from the engine bay. Closed intakes are much better for performance because they draw in cooler ambient air from outside the car. If you decide to get one, get a closed system with a good air duct/cowl. Something like the Forge CF, APR, IE closed, Uni with cowl, etc.

And yeah, the intake, tune, and TD1 debates are a regular occurrence here. Even though the data has been posted hundreds of times, people still like to argue :rolleyes:

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
@jovian - Any particular high flow panel filter that you recommend?

Popular ones are the AFE or VWR dry panel and K&N oiled panel. Dry has been popular with VW for a while due to the MAF filter previous engines had. Oil panels if left too wet would gum up the sensor on the MAF and cause issues. With the EA888 Gen 3 motor we dont have a MAF and instead a MAP. This doesnt have the gum up issues so oiled options are more accepted.

Personally use K&N oiled, as I like cleaning and reusing my filters.

You cant go wrong either way. Since I am using the stock intake I really dont have any induction sound. So if you want sound this probably isnt what you want.

TI_3VOJ

I'm leaning towards IE closed intake or going with VWR dry panel filter.

Anyone know if the VWR filter results in change in sound produced?

Dilemma... Any help!

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
If you get a panel filter, you may want to look into some of the OEM+ mods available for the stock intake. Things like removing the snow grate, opening up the driver's side of the cowl, blocking off the rear of the passenger side of the cowl, and adding the additional slots to the driver's side of the grill vent.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Do you have the R600 system or the cup?

Full system.

If sound is the priority it's not the right choice. If power is the priority it's a good option.

Popular ones are the AFE or VWR dry panel and K&N oiled panel. Dry has been popular with VW for a while due to the MAF filter previous engines had. Oil panels if left too wet would gum up the sensor on the MAF and cause issues. With the EA888 Gen 3 motor we dont have a MAF and instead a MAP. This doesnt have the gum up issues so oiled options are more accepted.

Personally use K&N oiled, as I like cleaning and reusing my filters.

You cant go wrong either way. Since I am using the stock intake I really dont have any induction sound. So if you want sound this probably isnt what you want.

Dry is sooo much nicer. That is the only thing I dislike about the R600 (uses an oiled foam filter).

TI_3VOJ

Full system.

If sound is the priority it's not the right choice. If power is the priority it's a good option.

Dry is sooo much nicer. That is the only thing I dislike about the R600 (uses an oiled foam filter).

I definitely like some sound. Don't care much about having too much of the Whoosh sound. But definitely some whoosh, engine sound and power.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I definitely like some sound. Don't care much about having too much of the Whoosh sound. But definitely some whoosh, engine sound and power.

Most of the closed intakes will give you a noticable, but subtle increase is sound.

The open intakes do give more sound, but they're definitely not the preferred choice for power output.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Closed intake = no sound
Open intake = lots of sound
Closed intake with window = some sound

This is probably the best advise I could give aside from one minor thing regarding the intakes with windows. I can hear the DV pretty damn clearly with my window open. The I like it lol.

OP as others have mentioned, you aren't going to see any noticeable gains from an intake. I chose the IE carbon fiber cold air kit for the looks and the sound. I'm glad I didn't do an open intake as I think there would be TOO much sound.

Shaggz

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the IE carbon fiber closed intake and my best friend has the IE open intake... both sound and look amazing! I for sure felt a throttle response increase and HP bump on the butt dyno and it just sounds way better

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have the IE carbon fiber closed intake and my best friend has the IE open intake... both sound and look amazing! I for sure felt a throttle response increase and HP bump on the butt dyno and it just sounds way better

IE intake is a disappointment just for the fact that it’s held on by one bolt and a zip tie (SAI filter mount is a zip tie).

Plus for the money you can buy a used is38

Last edited:

TI_3VOJ

This is probably the best advise I could give aside from one minor thing regarding the intakes with windows. I can hear the DV pretty damn clearly with my window open. The I like it lol.

OP as others have mentioned, you aren't going to see any noticeable gains from an intake. I chose the IE carbon fiber cold air kit for the looks and the sound. I'm glad I didn't do an open intake as I think there would be TOO much sound.

After going back and forth for a few days, I'm heavily leaning towards IE Carbon fiber as well. 99% sure I'll go with this one.

Is there absolutely anything you don't like about it? How is the sound?

Last edited: