GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI exhaust on a 1.8t golf?

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
Hey guys,
I've got a golf 1.8t gas, and I'm wondering if a gti catback exhaust system would fit on my car?
I'm looking around and most options are pricy but I found a few decent gti exhaust systems worth the price if they can fit. I know the rear valence won't fit since they are dual exhaust; I'm fine with that just gotta buy one or cut my current one. I'm more focused on the fit of the pipes are compatible. Not down for some over complicated changes.
Thanks !

schmufs

I was thinking the same thing. If you upgrade your downpipe you can use the exact same exhaust as gti just need the new rear valence. Most will come with a reducer to fit the stock gti exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JenniferTheGolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8T
I was thinking the same thing. If you upgrade your downpipe you can use the exact same exhaust as gti just need the new rear valence. Most will come with a reducer to fit the stock gti exhaust.

My problem is I'm not very experienced, so I don't really want to mess with any sensors and I know there's an O2 sensor in the downpipe. Like i know there's large chances of getting a CEL light from temp. Or even damaging the sensors, etc... So if I don't change he downpipe I can't put on a gti exhaust?

Last edited:

schmufs

You still can you just need a reduced or a connector because I believe the pipe measures are different. It will also depend if you get a catback for axleback exhaust.

dexsketit

You still can you just need a reduced or a connector because I believe the pipe measures are different. It will also depend if you get a catback for axleback exhaust.

I'm trying to put a B&B 3" exhaust on my 1.8t. What else would I need to purchase in order for it to fit? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
OP, you have the 1.8t and I believe from the turbo back it's 2.5 inches because it's a smaller turbo than the IS20, found on the GTIs, which are 3 inches back. So to answer your question, it would not work.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Golf OEM = 2.25”

Gti OEM = 2.5”

Most aftermarket = 3”

Gti valance and exhaust parts bolt right up, just need an appropriate reducer. Not sure if you’re going for looks, sound or performance? Swapping stock parts will pretty much only be for the dual tips

Ps. There’s a marked spot on all mqb cars for where to cut to swap just the rear muffler