GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Golfdave - so the two exhaust trays seem to be a worthwhile improvement at a reasonable cost and achieve better fuel economy and general refinement. The spring guards seem to be quite pricey for what they achieve.
I reckon l'll try the trays and I guess you'd agree?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave - so the two exhaust trays seem to be a worthwhile improvement at a reasonable cost and achieve better fuel economy and general refinement. The spring guards seem to be quite pricey for what they achieve.
I reckon l'll try the trays and I guess you'd agree?

Yep I'll agree to that! :cool:

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Golfdave - ordered parts but dealer said I have to order the fixings in packs of 25 as the parts aren't used by the dealers. I've ordered fixings individually in the past at a now closed dealer and in France, so wonder if this is new? Haven't paid, so will investigate when I collect.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave - ordered parts but dealer said I have to order the fixings in packs of 25 as the parts aren't used by the dealers. I've ordered fixings individually in the past at a now closed dealer and in France, so wonder if this is new? Haven't paid, so will investigate when I collect.

Mine have said that & then when the parts turn up it's a bolt or fixing they usually "consume" so I never have to pay for the rest. I suppose it's the size of place & how many cars they fix a day..............

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Hi Golfdave,

I love this topic, thanks for the research! I'm driving a GTE, and I already noticed the guys at the factory didn't install the exhaust covers. Such a shame, since in my opinion the car would be able to be slightly more efficiënt, and should increase range in both the gasoline and electricity mode. Keep up the good work!

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Hi Golfdave - got the bits inc 25 each of the fastners! Torx screws always useful as they corrode in a few years, but rivets questionable.
Aftersales manager gave a credit for future purchase.
Front exhaust trim easy to fit, managed to wiggle tabs in without loosening off outer underbody covers.
Rear exhaust tray seems to be correct shape, but too long? Panel is embossed 5Q0 825 206K, no sign of C part number on it.
Shame there isn't a panel behind the front exhaust trim.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Rear exhaust tray seems to be correct shape, but too long? Panel is embossed 5Q0 825 206K, no sign of C part number on it.
Shame there isn't a panel behind the front exhaust trim.

Info from page 1 here that C is replaced by K version, just on the earlier one which were still in stock had C when made & they were stickered over with K.

Did you remember to fit the front edge tabs into the rear edge of the existing side tray??.............

& the rest of the exhaust tunnel will not be covered due to heat build up...........

QUOTE "

VW parts list & approx costs in UK £
Item No. 18:- 5Q0 825 206C (K), Underbody trim, £13.31

Info
Part code 5Q0 825 206C, although ETKA says product has been superseded by version "K". product still has "C" moulded onto it, & is stickered over with "K" on ID sticker! Both of the clip/speed nuts fit at the front edge of the new trim, & have the two bolts going through the new trim & existing trim into the clip nuts, just like on your typical VW engine undertray.

ETKA describes this rear trim as "production ceased 2013, replacement part is K".

Fitting
Locate the rear two existing threaded studs (one on fuel tank, other on bracket opposite this near the wheel arch). Align the trim so that the two metal speed washers locate over these studs, then align the front edge of the trim with the rear edge of the big side under tray. The edge on the new trim has a tab which has to clip into the rear of the existing trim, align & fit. Then using a flat head screwdriver positioned in the slots of the speed washers screw them up fully onto the studs. Then go back & insert the screws into the front holes/clip nuts, & tighten up (T-25 size bit/key required).

END QUOTE"

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Golfdave - thanks. I think the panel has changed. With one washer on the fuel tank, the other is on a short leg that is trying to seat next to the trailing arm, but no threaded stud. There is a 10cm overlap at the front end of the panel and a 5cm at the rear over the beam axle.

The part seems to have disappeared from partsbase VW but are on the Audi pages.

From the Audi pages and PR codes, looks like I need part 5G0 825 206D.

Will have an unused 5G0 825 206C/K for the multi link suspension for sale.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Golfdave - thanks. I think the panel has changed. With one washer on the fuel tank, the other is on a short leg that is trying to seat next to the trailing arm, but no threaded stud. There is a 10cm overlap at the front end of the panel and a 5cm at the rear over the beam axle.

The part seems to have disappeared from partsbase VW but are on the Audi pages.

From the Audi pages and PR codes, looks like I need part 5G0 825 206D.

Will have an unused 5G0 825 206C/K for the multi link suspension for sale.
Let me know on this thread because it looks like it could be different because of the axle, which is strange?

Oh well a nice ornament then, mind you I have the same problem with the rear jack pads as Kevinm got parts with the wrong last letter & so did I ......arrggg.

Also just having to re-do my short shift kit info how to as found a problem...............BUGGER!!!!:mad:

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure how many users in this thread are in the US but if you are and if you're fitting your car with the full compliment of factory aero pieces some of which are not available through US dealerships. I came across a source in the UK willing to ship to the US. I've been exchanging emails with Noel of Deutsche Parts. Noel can get the European market parts and is willing to ship them to the US. I've requested a pair of hatch spoilers/diffusers 5G9-805-945-041 & 5G9-805-946-041 along with the 5Q0-825-229-C underbody panel.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Not sure how many users in this thread are in the US but if you are and if you're fitting your car with the full compliment of factory aero pieces some of which are not available through US dealerships. I came across a source in the UK willing to ship to the US. I've been exchanging emails with Noel of Deutsche Parts. Noel can get the European market parts and is willing to ship them to the US. I've requested a pair of hatch spoilers/diffusers 5G9-805-945-041 & 5G9-805-946-041 along with the 5Q0-825-229-C underbody panel.

What about the VW Skid tray parts?

VW parts list & approx costs in UK £
Item No. 23:- 5Q0 825 902C, Underrun bar (Skid tray), £195.73***
Item No. 24:- 909 747 01, Black wide head T-star screw A04B, £0.16 (x7)
Item No. 25:- 019 530 7, Flange hex head bolt (M8x25mm), £0.93 (x7)
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 921, Retaining bracket, £6.98***
Item No. 26:- 5Q0 825 922, Retaining bracket, £6.98***

I know of some posters from the USA who want to fit these...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
>Let me know on this thread because it looks like it could be different because of the axle, which is strange?

The beam axle is further fwd than the multilink bits; fwd trailing arm mounting point is just fwd of the tyre.

>Oh well a nice ornament then, mind you I have the same problem with the rear jack pads as Kevinm got parts with the wrong last letter & so did I ......arrggg.

Are those the Audi rear jacking point pads that slot into the two holes in the side beams at the rear?

Last edited:

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
I will ask Noel. The pricing he gave me was just as you had listed which I suspect is list price. I think the real question is what is it going to cost to ship such a large piece. It may bring the cost into line with just buying the piece used on the A3 Cabrio here in the US which is aluminum (5Q7-825-237-A OR 237-B) and lists for $429. That piece is already nearly twice the cost of an aftermarket aluminum piece here in the US. I do have a slightly damaged 5Q7 piece here at work which I've been meaning to test fit. The 5Q7 piece is slightly longer (likely covers the entire subframe) than the 5Q0-825-236-Q I put on my GSW 1.8TSI.

I realize it is of little consequence but those hardware items N-909-747-01 and N-909-747-01 are available in the US.

Also, thank you for taking the time to write about fitting the hatch spoilers I wasn't sure how they were to be attached.

Aero tangent, last night I watched an EVO review of the Golf Clubsport. The CS comes with some revised aero to produce downforce on the rear axle and reduce lift on the front. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wfr6Ge_XHE. I'm curious what underbody panels the CS will come fitted with. If you ever see a CS snap a picture of the VIN so we can see what the catalog suggests the car is equipped with.

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed

Hey Colin, Sometimes hardware items are only provided to us (dealerships) by VW/Audi as a quantity like 20 or 25. The worst is when you need a single drain washer and the minimum quantity is 100. This is exactly the case with N-013-849-2 (copper M14 drain washer I used hundreds of every year but that was ten years back). Very annoying of VW/Audi to do this and they do it at random it seems. It is possible that the dealership may have had the part previously or perhaps the status of the part changed, it went from being available as a single piece to available only as a packaged quantity. The dealership can not return the other 24 if you only need one, we can only return to VW/Audi the packaged quantity. I suppose if I need to return a bag of 100 N-013-849-2 washers somebody in a warehouse has to count out 100 washers before deciding if they are going to give us credit for the return.