GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Creaking doors? Mystery solved

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
dont waste money like me, the only permanent solution is the bmw 3m tape method. I paid over $100 for a big roll and hardly used much and it solved everything. Done right it is unnoticeable and will last for years (this stuff is industrial grade). If anyone is interested I can get you nice deal on it, probably enough for 3-4 cars at least

I have a friend who works for BMW. If they keep it on hand I can get it from him.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Thanks. I was wondering this as well. I should have it early next week.

I’m still not clear on why I have had temp relief with just lubing inside the flap. Not overly confident that dry lubing the felt will help but...worth a short. At least for science sake.

Years ago I found out about Sailkote on a BMW forum while searching relief for the sounds my MK6 made.
The MK6 creaked like the Black Pearl.
The BMW forum member pointed out that the creak was largely the sound of the felt up against the rubber.
Thinking about it, I'm reminded of the sound a balloon makes.
Lube the felt (don't clog it up with a wet lube) and the problem is solved.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Makes sense. BMW owners and sailboats. Lol

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Makes sense. BMW owners and sailboats. Lol

Yes.
It's quite likely that some BMW owners have sailboats and vise versa. :)

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Rain today. Bye bye door creaking...

Maybe I will just hose the car down everyday.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
So I finally got around to applying the Sailkote today. So far so good, but experience tells me that I have to give it at least a few days. Has been warm and dry here lately so this should be a good test run.

There may be better ways to apply it. But what I did was, mask the door frame top (painted area), sprayed some Sailkote into a small container, and applied it with a small foam craft brush. Went over it a few times.

Will report back

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Have not applied my tape case yet. Hasn't really been creaking much at all since I put the wind deflectors in. Still a little but maybe I am just getting used to it.

But my A-piller rattle likes to come back, usually only in the first 3 minutes of a drive. Even though I pulled it and taped it up with Tesa tape.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I lined some areas with that tape. didn't help at all. guess I didn't get the right spots or something... Shit's a bit expensive for guessing games.

My buddy at BMW just told me they do the following:
1. Clean rubber seals with ammonia free glass cleaner (He uses Sprayway Glass Cleaner)
2. Use silicon remover (this is a BMW Genuine Car Care Product)
3. Clean the door jambs/body contact points with isopropyl (highest % you can get your hands on)
4. Treat rubber with Würth Rubber Care Silicone Free and let dry for 10-15 mins. (my impression on searching is that this is a Gummi competitor)
5. When all else fails, we use the teflon tape (what we mentioned earlier in the thread here)

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ride in to work today was silent...

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Ride in to work today was silent...

Glad to read you've got positive results!
In my experience, Sailkote treatments held up for weeks, maybe months.

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
i need to do mine asap, i cant take it anymore lol. will the noise go away during cold weather season? i got my car January and didnt notice the noise till th weather got warm

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Well I've had my mk7 for a year and a half and have heard no squeaks in the doors yet. Definitely have driven over plenty of rough roads in that time. I do check for debris in that crease sometimes though.

JD-1

Ready to race!
My door just started creaking really bad 3-4 days after detailing my car including my door jambs. I'm hoping something in this thread fixes it for my MY18

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I’ve found using VLR on the door seals introduces door noises. Using Gummifledge instead reduces it a lot.

JD-1

Ready to race!
I’ve found using VLR on the door seals introduces door noises. Using Gummifledge instead reduces it a lot.

Where do I add the gummifledge? Inside the door seams or also along them? I've never needed to do this before

Its worth noting all of my noise seems to be when the car window is UP fully.