GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering springs

pure/white/gti

I know this has probably been asked several times. I just got my GTI a few months ago. I’ve reading a lot about springs. Seems like H&R and VWR seem to be the most popular. Looking to get rid of the wheel gap. I know everyone is different, just want to see if I am over thinking things, I was leaning toward H&R. But any other suggestions are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 137012

I know this has probably been asked several times. I just got my GTI a few months ago. I’ve reading a lot about springs. Seems like H&R and VWR seem to be the most popular. Looking to get rid of the wheel gap. I know everyone is different, just want to see if I am over thinking things, I was leaning toward H&R. But any other suggestions are welcome.

For reference I’m on OEM DGS and it got rid of wheel cap so those will be even lower

ryohei47

Ready to race!
For reference I’m on OEM DGS and it got rid of wheel cap so those will be even lower [/IMG]

I have DG Springs as well, they do not completely get rid of the wheel gap but halve it for GTIs. You'll need a lower drop like VWRs to fully get rid of the wheel gap.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
H&R, VWR, Eibach, and DG are all popular options. Maybe VWR the most so but it's hard to say. DG would be the most conservative.

I have the VWR so I can't speak to the others but I'm sure they are similar -- expect decent ride quality. They will degrade the stock shocks over time though if you don't upgrade. But if your main goal is to get rid of the wheel gap, it's livable IMO even for a daily driver, and springs can be an economical way to do that.

By all means if you have the money or care about the ideal ride quality and handling, go for coilovers or a shock + spring combo.

But if you don't want to spend the money but still want to get rid of the wheel gap and are ok with sacrificing a bit of ride quality and suspension function, then springs will definitely do that for you. That's basically it in a nutshell.

I'm happy with my VWR's, and would rather have them than nothing, as to me they make a big difference in the look of the car. I fully realize I might need to upgrade shocks or switch to a different setup like coilovers down the line if the stock shocks wear out completely.

One last thing to consider -- depending on where you are and local shop prices, if you get your springs installed that's when they start to become a bad value in my opinion. That's what I did (middle of winter, didn't have a garage at the time), but the install price in my area was hefty. Would have been roughly the same for coils I imagine and looking back I wish I had saved up a bit more, spent more on the parts, and tried to do the install myself to make it more economical.

iamareplicant

Passed Driver's Ed
H&R, VWR, Eibach, and DG are all popular options. Maybe VWR the most so but it's hard to say. DG would be the most conservative.

I have the VWR so I can't speak to the others but I'm sure they are similar -- expect decent ride quality. They will degrade the stock shocks over time though if you don't upgrade. But if your main goal is to get rid of the wheel gap, it's livable IMO even for a daily driver, and springs can be an economical way to do that.

By all means if you have the money or care about the ideal ride quality and handling, go for coilovers or a shock + spring combo.

But if you don't want to spend the money but still want to get rid of the wheel gap and are ok with sacrificing a bit of ride quality and suspension function, then springs will definitely do that for you. That's basically it in a nutshell.

I'm happy with my VWR's, and would rather have them than nothing, as to me they make a big difference in the look of the car. I fully realize I might need to upgrade shocks or switch to a different setup like coilovers down the line if the stock shocks wear out completely.

One last thing to consider -- depending on where you are and local shop prices, if you get your springs installed that's when they start to become a bad value in my opinion. That's what I did (middle of winter, didn't have a garage at the time), but the install price in my area was hefty. Would have been roughly the same for coils I imagine and looking back I wish I had saved up a bit more, spent more on the parts, and tried to do the install myself to make it more economical.

I, too, am going with just VWR springs, and I did read several posts that it will not do my shocks any favors.

I use my car as s 3rd car, nothing more than a freeway flyer and occasional canyon romp.

What shocks would you recommend for a balance of keeping the ride as close to stock as possible but with the new VWR springs?

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I went with APR's lowering springs. They advertise 1/2"-3/4" drop but one user installed them and it seemed to lower his car about 1". I'm getting mine installed next week and will report back.

Tico63

Ready to race!
I put on NEUSPEED Race Springs. I don't know the measurement but it's a dramatic drop. It looks like I'm on coils.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I, too, am going with just VWR springs, and I did read several posts that it will not do my shocks any favors.

If you just throw the springs on and not replace anything, then yes, your stock shocks will suffer. But if you replace all of the hardware, shock mounts and the strut bearings with some heavy duty ones, then your stock shocks will live longer.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If you just throw the springs on and not replace anything, then yes, your stock shocks will suffer. But if you replace all of the hardware, shock mounts and the strut bearings with some heavy duty ones, then your stock shocks will live longer.

Lol ok.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
I’m on ED springs. And regret not going lower with coil setup.