GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just testing out the intake blocker plate

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Will see if this does anything to lower intake temps and keep the engine hot air from being sucked in, especially at idle.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Oh 100% when pulling hard you can see your IATs drop as the air blows across your cooler. Trying to determine if just forcing cold air straight in through drivers side, as opposed to letting the hot air come in has an effect. I also didn't want to block the air hitting the engine, that's why I chose the location I did.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Have you considered getting an intake blockoff plate thing? Then you would be able to utilize both inlets.

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
The problem with that is it blocks off the flow of air to the engine and the little oil cooler on that side. I'm thinking under the hood temps would rise with that being blocked.
Have you considered getting an intake blockoff plate thing? Then you would be able to utilize both inlets.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
If we're worried about under hood temps, you could take the rear seal for the hood off and replace with some door jam windlace like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tip-10001444/overview/ I'm not sure about the size of the gap, maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. That would open up the back and let the hot air exit. This info came from a guy on the MK6 forums that sold his own insulated intakes and the windlace, his handle was Modshack, had a lot of experience with intakes on Audi TT's and the MK6. Just a thought.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The problem with that is it blocks off the flow of air to the engine and the little oil cooler on that side. I'm thinking under the hood temps would rise with that being blocked.

The plate is made for the GTE...14.lt engine with hybrid electrics...which also has the full length under engine bay aero tray....so that gets way hotter...

I did a "GTE air duct retro fit" guide

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=624070#post624070

I wish you mods would sticky both my full list of how to guides

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25216

& the full service schedule list

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41617

I did as then it would stop people from missing important info!....:cool:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
But why even have the air flow going into the engine bay at all if it is useless? Seems like if VW already had the piece why would it only be on those models?

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
The plate is made for the GTE...14.lt engine with hybrid electrics...which also has the full length under engine bay aero tray....so that gets way hotter...

So, while not moving, there aren't any mechanisms by which the GTE engine bay gets airflow that the GTI engine bay may not? Nor is there any reason why the GTE would have lower under-hood or firewall temperatures at a stop? I am not sure what supplementation the electrical drive system makes for the GTE at a stop.

Before your comment about the GTE, my thoughts were that the reason for having an intake source from under the hood would be to pull in the stagnant hot air from the engine bay at a stop. The intake pulls the hot air surrounding the turbo and firewall to help manage cabin comfort at the cost of elevated IAT. At speed, of course, things would be different, with higher pressure cold air supplying both the engine bay and intake.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I believe Golfdave also found that the hot climate cars had the back of the duct sealed off. I hope he can confirm that. But GTE or petrol that would mean they want to keep it sealed.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Do you all realize there are fans on the radiator that pulls air though them? All that air flows around our engines (through our oil cooler) and out of the engine bay...most all goes under the car. Yes the air is hotter than ambient but it is still cooler than the oil in the oil cooler. So all this worry about the oil cooler not getting enough air if you block off that little area on the air intake plenum (for lack of a better word) is moot....as golfdave is trying to explain.

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
Stop blocking air flow that'll cool your oil.

The GTE isn't using the gasser engine nearly as much as any person on this forum.

A modern direct injected engine will have no benefit by design from a higher iat (it's not a diesel that'll run rich until it's up to temp) that opening exists for cooling on our "performance vehicles"..

Lacking an effieceint oil/water cooler (please aftermarket manufacturers make this) we are left to air cooler "efficency", which frankly is shit..

Blocking the intake from pulling hot air (at least in climates that don't see double digit negatives, but that's another argument entirely) is the right way to improve cold air intake.

jackalope

Ready to race!
At idle you can feel some airflow from the fan, I'm guessing that's more than the airflow from the intake but not sure.

I think the reason for the intake tube being on open on both sides is to act as a hot air intake so the engine warms up faster

jackalope

Ready to race!
I ordered one too, I'm planning to cut out the little grill so it can flow air more freely, or maybe even cut it wider with a hot knife