GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Yeah it was ok. I sanded it with 1500 and 2000 just in case. If something were to happen it would have already. I’ve been loggging it and doing runs and no hiccups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Any weight in the gas tank will hurt if you're FWD or even AWD since it launches with a FWD bias. You want as much weight over the front wheels, not the rear. And I don't know of any MQB models or Volkswagens that are RWD...

Sure, that was a general comment about carrying a little extra weight, not necessarily just about extra fuel weight. I just didn't find the ad nauseam discussion about fuel weight very productive. We all like to strip a little weight, and every little bit can help, especially if the weight removed is not over the drive wheels. 90 lbs of fuel weight is probably worth less than a tenth in the 1/4 . And all owners can decide whether or not to run with a full tank or less in the 1/4. My car's fuel pressure is slightly more stable on hard runs when I have over 1/4 tank...so I would likely opt for 1/3 tank if I were to head to the track.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Out of curiosity - if you guys are pushing the golf 1.8T so hard, why didn't you go with a GTI from the start? Seems like you are spending more money to upgrade to some GTI parts than you would have by starting with a basic GTI S. I sorta get the GSW folks for the AWD and extra space, but regular golfs?

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
It’s not that much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Out of curiosity - if you guys are pushing the golf 1.8T so hard, why didn't you go with a GTI from the start? Seems like you are spending more money to upgrade to some GTI parts than you would have by starting with a basic GTI S. I sorta get the GSW folks for the AWD and extra space, but regular golfs?

I paid 200 for my is20, 150 for cts catless, and 700 for jb4.... thats 1050 before labour (500) this is all in canadian... i 1550 on top of my car price for 260-300 WHP ... im fine with that...

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
The GSW has barely enough room for me, a GTI or preferably R, don't have enough cargo space for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Everything I've done is still a lot cheaper than even the cheapest new GTI (like, 5k cheaper, and that's not even taking into account that I would need to spend more on the GTI to get it where my golf is performance wise anyways). I'm very happy with my decision.

Last edited:

joofcorn

Ready to race!

A lot of us also have 4motion sportwagens and alltracks because a golf R is way out of our price range, plus the added space is worth it to some of us. My alltrack was about 20k less than an R, and a jb4/tune + is38 is less than 2k. I'm only going is20 for now, but the point is the same.

Edit: missed the last part of your post, but still math, as melted said you can get a golf way cheaper than a gti (msrp difference is 6-7 k right now)

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!

He used to has a GTi but a deer totaled it

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Why a GTI when you can buy an Audi A3 2.0T Quattro of the same MQB platform for less money? Same engine as the GTI but with all wheel drive. A 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro can be purchased for 11-13K.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Why a GTI when you can buy an Audi A3 2.0T Quattro of the same MQB platform for less money? Same engine as the GTI but with all wheel drive. A 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro can be purchased for 11-13K.

Hatchback is an absolute necessity.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Crxgator if possible try get some logs of the rail pressure to compare to the GTI's. I would imagine with the bigger HPFP you will want to target more pressure via the flash. Based on logs I have seen with the JB4 the 1.8T should run around 20bar less pressure than the 2.0T.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Crxgator if possible try get some logs of the rail pressure to compare to the GTI's. I would imagine with the bigger HPFP you will want to target more pressure via the flash. Based on logs I have seen with the JB4 the 1.8T should run around 20bar less pressure than the 2.0T.

It's all done George. First thing I did after his install is redid all of his HPFP tables and he is running 200,000+ :) (same as GTI/R on stock HPFP)

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Was it 160 on the 1.8T Tune?

Target or actual?

Target is around 150-160000. Actual was dipping to 80,000 because his meth was supplementing his fuel - not good :D

It never drops below 170,000 now with a 200,000 target (what I set). Safe on pump to 30+psi and around 26-27psi on E30 without any pressure issues.