GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs Golf R

OnlyZuul

Passed Driver's Ed
I know the R has about 300 more lbs than the GTI. So my question is:

Would a JB1 GTI beat a Golf R? Seems like a Stage 1 GTI would definitely, assuming both have good sticky tires/dry conditions.

I guess I'm just wondering how much the extra weight hurts the Golf R. Is it noticeable when you are driving it compared to a GTI?

Squareroot

Passed Driver's Ed
The potential on the golf r is incredible though. I believe stage 1 tune gets you into the 3s 0-60 time, which is flat insane for a car at the price point.

adam1991

Banned
Would a JB1 GTI beat a Golf R? Seems like a Stage 1 GTI would definitely, assuming both have good sticky tires/dry conditions.

If the tires and road surface are apples to apples, the additional traction of the AWD R will walk away from the spinning front wheels of the GTI.

But that doesn't speak to the dynamics of driving it on real roads. Mass is mass--that 300 pounds has to be wrangled around when stopping and turning.

As someone says, why not have both? Do an R with Stage 1.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If the tires and road surface are apples to apples, the additional traction of the AWD R will walk away from the spinning front wheels of the GTI.

But that doesn't speak to the dynamics of driving it on real roads. Mass is mass--that 300 pounds has to be wrangled around when stopping and turning.

As someone says, why not have both? Do an R with Stage 1.

The AWD trumps the extra weight. You can't get rid of the understeer with a little less weight.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
It would really depend on the setup of the GTI for it to beat a R if the power was equal. There is a video where two guys tested 6 different Golf models on a track. From the GTD to the Golf R. The GTI Clubsport S beat the Golf R.

GTI with a tune vs a Golf R...I'd go with the R for all 'round performance.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
If it was available, I would have bought a R if that helps you at all. I like the R more, better power and I love the R trim and AWD.

The GTI is not a bad car at all and I love mine, but I would've preferred a R.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
If it was available, I would have bought a R if that helps you at all. I like the R more, better power and I love the R trim and AWD.

The GTI is not a bad car at all and I love mine, but I would've preferred a R.

I love my GTI too, it was my first car I bought. Next go around ill most likely have more money to spend. Maybe ill get an R. Honestly, I would have gotten an R since AWD, but they are 15k more. Wasnt in my budget. Either way im still happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3D9

Passed Driver's Ed
In making my next car purchase decision, I test drove both the R and GTI multiple times, back-to-back. There is zero doubt in my mind that the R is the faster car in pretty much any situation... especially in the hands of a driver of only "average" skill. It is so good, I never came close to feeling like I was approaching its limits during my test drives.

That said, I definitely felt the extra weight of the R when attacking curves and turns along the back roads. Mind you, that extra weight didn't slow the car down (it maintains so much grip it's ridiculous) but somehow it made things a little less visceral/enjoyable than doing the same thing at the same speed in the GTI. I've commented on this in previous posts, but the suspension in the R felt a touch more floaty than the GTI.

The GTI felt more lively but also planted during hard cornering overall and on the street I'd argue it's the more fun car to throw around... at least it was for me. I kept coming to the same conclusion after driving each one back-to-back... the R is the more impressive machine, but the GTI is more fun to drive in normal road conditions.

On the track, I'd imagine it's a different story, but on the road, the R is so grippy and capable that you'd have to travel at license-losing speeds to replicate the same level of fun that you can have in the GTI at half the speed.

Just my two cents though, and better, more experienced drivers who own the R will likely disagree.

All that said, both cars are incredible and you can't go wrong owning either.

My personal recommendation is that the R is the obvious choice if you plan to track the car on a regular basis. If you're looking for something fun to drive day-to-day on the streets, I'd say go with the GTI.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I would guess on a track a GTI could level the field with a R, since off-the-line traction isn't the important metric, and the lighter feel of the GTI may help it reel in an R.

This is all speculation on my part, as I don't track my cars ever. On the real streets, where only 0-xx mph can be safely played with, Golf R all the way. That off-the-line traction is super usable in day-to-day. And not just for stop light to stop light. Turning left across busy traffic on a wet day and a GTI is severely handicapped.

If you have the means, I highly suggest R, it's choice!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Alltrack or Sportwagen 4motion DSG is where it’s at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
In making my next car purchase decision, I test drove both the R and GTI multiple times, back-to-back. There is zero doubt in my mind that the R is the faster car in pretty much any situation... especially in the hands of a driver of only "average" skill. It is so good, I never came close to feeling like I was approaching its limits during my test drives.

That said, I definitely felt the extra weight of the R when attacking curves and turns along the back roads. Mind you, that extra weight didn't slow the car down (it maintains so much grip it's ridiculous) but somehow it made things a little less visceral/enjoyable than doing the same thing at the same speed in the GTI. I've commented on this in previous posts, but the suspension in the R felt a touch more floaty than the GTI.

The GTI felt more lively but also planted during hard cornering overall and on the street I'd argue it's the more fun car to throw around... at least it was for me. I kept coming to the same conclusion after driving each one back-to-back... the R is the more impressive machine, but the GTI is more fun to drive in normal road conditions.

On the track, I'd imagine it's a different story, but on the road, the R is so grippy and capable that you'd have to travel at license-losing speeds to replicate the same level of fun that you can have in the GTI at half the speed.

Just my two cents though, and better, more experienced drivers who own the R will likely disagree.

All that said, both cars are incredible and you can't go wrong owning either.

My personal recommendation is that the R is the obvious choice if you plan to track the car on a regular basis. If you're looking for something fun to drive day-to-day on the streets, I'd say go with the GTI.
perfect