GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I also tuned the is20gti that did 11.59@118 gutted with slicks. I don't see a Golf on 1.8t hitting those numbers on an IS20.

With no meth and full weight, I was able to hit a 12.1 in my is20 sportwagen, so I’m thinking when I hook up the meth, and if I dropped weight/exhaust I don’t see why I couldn’t potentially drop 2 tenths maybe more. My best trap was 110.9, so I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibility with the is20 to at least break into the 11’s, especially if it was pushed as hard as Chuck has pushed his.

Now that custom tuning is available bigger/hybrid turbos are going to be an option too.

Last edited:

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Bigger/hybrid turbos is the last thing the 1.8T needs. :D

What was your second best pass?

With no meth and full weight, I was able to hit a 12.1 in my is20 sportwagen, so I’m thinking when I hook up the meth, and if I dropped weight/exhaust I don’t see why I couldn’t potentially drop 2 tenths maybe more. My best trap was 110.9, so I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibility with the is20 to at least break into the 11’s, especially if it was pushed as hard as Chuck has pushed his.

Now that custom tuning is available bigger/hybrid turbos are going to be an option too.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Was Sam's run with seats in or out? Full exhaust or open downpipe?

If you check the gear ratios for the R and Sportwagen DSG, you'll see that the wagon actually has a shorter 1st and 2nd than the R. The R has a shorter 3rd and 4th but overall the gearing is pretty similar between the two cars. Do you know what kind of weight reduction the R had? Which track? What was the DA?

The R is going to be at a disadvantage compared to the 1.8T and 2.0T in the A3/GTI due to its lower compression ratio. That can easily be worth 15-20 HP with the IS38 assuming you have high enough octane for MBT and sky high boost levels.

That 11.59@118 with the IS20 is super impressive. How gutted was it?

Thanks for sharing the information.
A3 - Seats out, full exhaust.

R - Seats out, catback off, 2900-3000DA in California. He's on the list for the 1/4 times I manage.

IS20 GTI has all seats out and belak+skinnies on the back, belak+MT slicks on the front - 4 door though.

Yeah I hear you. 7mph gain is equivalent of 50-70whp though, and I don't see you picking up the equivalent of that in weight, but maybe I am wrong.
The IS20 to IS38 isn't a massive gain if you utilize race/high E blend on both. The IS38 just makes easier power on shittier fuel.
I'm working with Crxgator now and tuning his IS38 wagon with Maestro.

H2OVWRacr

Passed Driver's Ed
A3 - Seats out, full exhaust.

R - Seats out, catback off, 2900-3000DA in California. He's on the list for the 1/4 times I manage.

IS20 GTI has all seats out and belak+skinnies on the back, belak+MT slicks on the front - 4 door though.

Yeah I hear you. 7mph gain is equivalent of 50-70whp though, and I don't see you picking up the equivalent of that in weight, but maybe I am wrong.
The IS20 to IS38 isn't a massive gain if you utilize race/high E blend on both. The IS38 just makes easier power on shittier fuel.

Maestro is available for the 1.8 ECMs now?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Yup maestro is available and rocking.

Best time so far with no meth starting on the side of the highway.

Best time at the strip with jb4 stack and meth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Were both runs using launch control? If so, what was the launch control launch RPM for each?

H2OVWRacr

Passed Driver's Ed

Very exciting news. That opens up some new possibilities for these motors.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!

I was on Eurodyne website and did not see the tuning suite. Just stage 1 for stock vehicle. Where do I get the suite from.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Their website sucks. Maestro is an option for some 1.8t. Email him your box code and he will tell you if it’s available for you or not.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Glad to see you guys having fun with the IS38's! I'm content with my IS20 upgrade, but I still love to keep up on what is going on.

P.S. trying to get through this thread to extract important details was painful! I'm sure some of you would like to have some of that time back, LOL. It is silly to argue about 100-200 pounds, especially fuel weight that may or may not exist, WTF? A little extra weight, if distributed ideally, could actually help with traction on some models. There are just so many parameters in play that can add or take away a tenth of a second or two on a run...

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Their website sucks. Maestro is an option for some 1.8t. Email him your box code and he will tell you if it’s available for you or not.

So you bought Maestro for the $799 or so and then how much is the custom tune? Did you have to flash back to stock before using Maestro? Does Eurodyne have tunes for the IS20/38 that are not on the site as well?

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!

Do you work for Eurodyne or do you do custom tunes for a living or just on the side? I would be interested in using Maestro and getting a custom tune in the future.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
He does not work for eurodyne, he is a tuner and is currently working on my car and a bunch of other awesome Mk7s.

I upgraded my HPFP tonight after a huge fuck up on my part and got lucky to a GTI. Just adding that alone took off .2 from my 1/4. Definitely get that fuel pump and get a tune from Matthew (wy2lo)