GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

7.5 R gear grind on 4-3 downshifts...

Summons

Hi All,

About 3 or 4 times now, on a downshift 4-3 (once for sure and likely the other times too) I heard what can only be described as a missed shift - a solid "gronk" and the tranny/car then lurched into gear and carried on...

The first event was a classic DSG WTF moment as I waffled on the throttle behind a Corolla in the fast lane at 20kph less than the speed limit and 'limited' space in the lane beside to pass - lots as it turned out (I didn't know the car was so fast back then).

Since then, I have experienced 2 for sure events and I think a 3rd (stereo was cranked so am not sure) of downshifts in manual mode under breaking (4-3) where I got the "gronk!" and a jolt as the car went into gear.

VW scanned the car and saw no codes, and the car behaved normally for the technician - of course; this IS how machines behave...

This doesn't happen regularly - I am at about 11000km so far, but it has me worried as I rarely missed shifts on my true manual cars - 3 or 4 over the life of the cars usually, and here I am at that tally by 6 months in!

Any similar experiences or thoughts?

As an extended question: Does the DSG have position sensors to determine if the gear is actually IN before swapping clutches, or does the mechatronics simply port pressure to the actuator and hope...?

I have also asked this on VROC with no overly similar responses... Here's hoping!

Cheers,

Eric

Dark Violet R

Ready to race!
Hi All,

About 3 or 4 times now, on a downshift 4-3 (once for sure and likely the other times too) I heard what can only be described as a missed shift - a solid "gronk" and the tranny/car then lurched into gear and carried on...

The first event was a classic DSG WTF moment as I waffled on the throttle behind a Corolla in the fast lane at 20kph less than the speed limit and 'limited' space in the lane beside to pass - lots as it turned out (I didn't know the car was so fast back then).

Since then, I have experienced 2 for sure events and I think a 3rd (stereo was cranked so am not sure) of downshifts in manual mode under breaking (4-3) where I got the "gronk!" and a jolt as the car went into gear.

VW scanned the car and saw no codes, and the car behaved normally for the technician - of course; this IS how machines behave...

This doesn't happen regularly - I am at about 11000km so far, but it has me worried as I rarely missed shifts on my true manual cars - 3 or 4 over the life of the cars usually, and here I am at that tally by 6 months in!

Any similar experiences or thoughts?

As an extended question: Does the DSG have position sensors to determine if the gear is actually IN before swapping clutches, or does the mechatronics simply port pressure to the actuator and hope...?

I have also asked this on VROC with no overly similar responses... Here's hoping!

Cheers,

Eric

Hi Eric,
Sorry you are having this issue. I have not experienced the situation you are describing but I like many have experienced the WTF DSG moment.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not nearly enough information to make any kind of comment. Crank up your VCDS and log the 12 most important DSG operation parameters while you drive.

Summons

Thank you all for the responses...

The Fed - I hesitate to cough up another $700 or so for VCDS and a laptop for a car under warranty - I have neither. That said, if this persists, I may have to hack up!

Rpt - I have suffered a similar non shift event - I wrote it off to the traction control, as it occurred during a near WOT wide left turn off a light on a 2-3 shift. I had to let off for a split to resume acceleration... Hard to say if it was T/C or a fault.

Mk7Will - no the fluid level was not verified as no other symptoms of low level were present - no hard shifts. Only the 'grind' events.

Thank you all again - I will continue to monitor and rely on the peace mind provided by the 200k km warranty I have...

Cheers,
Eric