GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Even cheaper eBay dp option

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
ok imma bit confused

Looking at their photos and some other catted options. that bulge before the 02 sensors should be the cat no?

If not, im not sure how any of these people make a catted DP then. Looking at HPA/CTS they all seem to have a similar bulge before hand.

I could be seriously wrong and I will admit exhaust work is not my speciality

Yes it has a cat, no they didn’t put the o2 Before it, it’s after the cat.

In the one I just modded the sensor is opposite, but that’s irrelevant since the sensor needs fooled to avoid a CEL either way. I hope this helps, don’t mind the iPhone fat finger art lol

Also USP makes a terrible dp imo. It’s 409 Stainless which still rusts, doesn’t fit well, and is known to leak at the clamps

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Sooooo next time I’m in NC, Baun downpipe going in my car?? :D

themyst

Ready to race!
I had a rev9 downpipe, never welded it, but used a stronger clamp to join them together; had no leaks. Maybe it's old age, but it was too loud for my taste.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I had a rev9 downpipe, never welded it, but used a stronger clamp to join them together; had no leaks. Maybe it's old age, but it was too loud for my taste.

The added cat helps tone it down, also adding a vibrant 17930 in place of the stock resonator makes it almost behave like stock

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Didn't want to take over the marketplace thread you had commented in, but I would be down to purchase one of the v-band variants and test mule it for sure.

Been biding my time on the down pipe purchase but the time is near.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Didn't want to take over the marketplace thread you had commented in, but I would be down to purchase one of the v-band variants and test mule it for sure.

Been biding my time on the down pipe purchase but the time is near.

I need to get ahold of the guy I built the one (pictured) for and make sure he’s happy with it. If everything’s good now that he’s been running it a while I’ll see when he’s available for me to borrow it to build a weld fixture around. Then it’s game on to build more whenever! I’m on vacation now, but this weekend I’ll see if I can line up a day that fits his schedule (hopefully soon)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Little update. I’m planning on building a weld fixture around this Thursday, so if everything goes as planned after that I’ll be able to build more of these to ship

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Little update. I’m planning on building a weld fixture around this Thursday, so if everything goes as planned after that I’ll be able to build more of these to ship

Nice looking product Jake! Is this what you'll be selling in the near future for "$99 dp plus $77 cat (plus shipping)"?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nice looking product Jake! Is this what you'll be selling in the near future for "$99 dp plus $77 cat (plus shipping)"?

Yeah, that’s not the full equation for figuring out the price point though. I’m out buying materials for the weld fixture now. So it’ll have to recoup the cost of building it, plus my time/consumables for building each down pipe, the cat and a new clamp (to replace the OEM on at the cat back connection) plus shipping them in, and the cost of a v band I’ll be adding mid way on the production models to break it down smaller for shipping.

It’ll still be far cheaper than any catted downpipe on the market, but rough spitball number id say $400ish plus shipping

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Yeah, that’s not the full equation for figuring out the price point though. I’m out buying materials for the weld fixture now. So it’ll have to recoup the cost of building it, plus my time/consumables for building each down pipe, the cat and a new clamp (to replace the OEM on at the cat back connection) plus shipping them in, and the cost of a v band I’ll be adding mid way on the production models to break it down smaller for shipping.

It’ll still be far cheaper than any catted downpipe on the market, but rough spitball number id say $400ish plus shipping

Oof, that escalated quickly haha. $400 + shipping would put yours right in the same $460ish range as the CTS catted downpipe. Are there any pros to choosing your build over the CTS?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Oof, that escalated quickly haha. $400 + shipping would put yours right in the same $460ish range as the CTS catted downpipe. Are there any pros to choosing your build over the CTS?

I’ve been shipping intercooler kits for $35-60 so about half that is a realistic shipping quote. I’d guess $20 for most and $35 for Washington since that’s apparently how FedEx buys new aircraft lol.

I’m not sure why the “that escalated quickly” comment.

CTS is only within $30 when it’s on sale, this is preliminary, but $400 is $150 cheaper than their normal price. I’d say $400 vs $550 is pretty substantial.

Also, key differences. Mine would have a v band connection to break it down for shipping vs the CTS with the same slip joint and cheap single bolt clamp the eBay dp would’ve originally came with.

For those wondering how I know, I personally have a CTS Dp on my car, and it required all the same mods the eBay dp got to be correct. I welded it solid and added a cat (got the catless CTS on straight trade for my OEM dp a few years back)

I feel like maybe you’re trolling, hard to tell, but expecting me or anyone to fabricate something for less than it cost to build is a pretty lame expectation...materials and consumables to make these not factoring in anything to do with my time is more that half of that $400. General rule of thumb for building anything is parts x2 minimum, so you’re welcome for being willing to build these just ay hourly rate and not make a profit at all outside of that. I’m sure someone will come along and appreciate it even if it’s not you.