GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just upgraded from '16 GTI Autobahn to '18 Golf R

FlyGuyDEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all. I just got my first Golf R. Pretty excited because I've already noticed how much quieter the body of this Wolfsburg-built car is vs the Pueblo-plant built '16 GTI I had before was.

Has the high pressure fuel pump issue been fixed yet by VW or is this something people are still experiencing? Also-I noticed the flexible cargo floor doesn't seem to be a thing in the R...is this due to the larger capacity fuel tank bumping the subwoofer up and therefore making this impossible? Or did I just totally not do it right?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,000
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 981
  • IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 987
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 992
Last edited:

MDLBC

Ready to race!
1) Congratulations
2) Fuel pump on the MK7R has not been a “common” problem. I would say the thermostat and MIB software needing updating are some of the more common themes.
3) It is because of the Haldex that the lower trunk is smaller.

radoroc

Ready to race!
Nice, but omg not another lapiz blue one. That's 75% of them it seems.

I wanted the blue myself but there's way too many around here.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Nice, but omg not another lapiz blue one. That's 75% of them it seems.

I wanted the blue myself but there's way too many around here.
Bah! Canada! ;)

Here in Southern California, I have never seen a blue one before I bought mine and the only other two I've seen were at the dealer I bought mine at (it was a manual, ,mine is a DSG) and one in the wild here where I live only a week after I bought mine.

Since then, still haven't seen another Lapiz blue! But it's only been a couple months!

Would be nice to see more of the other 30 colors show up here in the forums though.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Pretty excited because I've already noticed how much quieter the body of this Wolfsburg-built car is vs the Pueblo-plant built '16 GTI I had before was.

Built location would be one of the least possible reason for the difference and congrats on your R.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Congrats! I second the theory on where it’s built, I had 2 gtis, 16 and 17, before I bought my Golf R, both built in Mexico. My “German” built Golf R has annoying rattle under dash haha. Never had any issues in my GTIs, win some and you lose some

FlyGuyDEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Built location would be one of the least possible reason for the difference and congrats on your R.

Im all for making things more affordable but not at the cost of quality. My ‘12 GTI (while having terrible stock brakes) was solid. Built in Germany.

New Golf R is solid and incredibly fun.

‘16 GTI creaked and groaned from day 1. Not built in Germany.

FlyGuyDEN

Passed Driver's Ed
Driving impressions vs the Gti ?

Golf R has more power and having come from a DSG in the ‘16 (manual in the ‘12) I’m SO happy to be back in a manual. I feel so much more connected to the car.

Power is noticeable vs GTI. Better deal than an S3 for sure. Plus the VW logo is just so more iconic vs Audi rings.

FlyGuyDEN

Passed Driver's Ed
1) Congratulations
2) Fuel pump on the MK7R has not been a “common” problem. I would say the thermostat and MIB software needing updating are some of the more common themes.
3) It is because of the Haldex that the lower trunk is smaller.

Ahh. So there is no flexible cargo floor in the R. Not a huge loss.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Im all for making things more affordable but not at the cost of quality. My ‘12 GTI (while having terrible stock brakes) was solid. Built in Germany.

New Golf R is solid and incredibly fun.

‘16 GTI creaked and groaned from day 1. Not built in Germany.

This topic has been beaten to death several times in the past and many people here would disagree on the quality based on built location.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35740
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35728
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34313