GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC Troubleshooting 2015 TSI

Ol' Hickory

Hey folks, my fiancee is having a little a/c trouble in here 2015 TSI. Being the designated mechanic of our family, naturally it has fallen to me to try to diagnose and fix the issue. Here's what I observed so far;

1. I'm not sure if it has always been bad or not, but last time I got in it (before it went completely out) I remarked that her a/c sucked. So this may have been an issue where it got progressively worse and not just all of a sudden stopped. I will confirm this with her when she gets home this evening.

2. Freon level is good. I topped it off but did not notice any improvement in performance.

3. I never hear the compressor kick on and off, but just from a quick visual inspection it seems to be spinning.

I've done some poking around on here and seen where people have recommended first checking the fuse. I took the fuse panel cover off under the hood and was surprised to find that there is no fuse "key" under the cover like there usually is on a fuse panel cover. I looked through the manual and didn't see anything either. Pretty astounding that they wouldn't give you a key, surely I am overlooking it somewhere? I tried googling it but all the panels that show up seem to be different than hers. Any idea which fuses I need to check? I can try to post a picture of her panel tonight if it helps...

If fuses are good, does that mean it is likely a bad compressor? I've also read that the solenoid inside the compressor can be a likely culprit and is much cheaper than replacing the whole compressor. How hard is it to pull the compressor? I am a moderately experienced shade tree mechanic with decent tools and a set of ramps. Is it something I could tackle in a weekend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie

Ol' Hickory

Very good thought on the dripping. I will turn it on and see what happens. Many thanks on the fuse diagram, I will check all the a/c related fuses. Any hints on where the drain is? Do i just need to run some wire or shoot some brake clean up in it and see if it frees anything up?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
I dont know where the drain is. A previous car clogged and my passenger floor board was wet. I suppose a clothes hanger would work. Sounds like something beyond that unfortunately, but worth a check before you pull the compressor.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
You won't find a clutch on the compressor as it uses a variable displacement compressor, so the pulley is always spinning. Check to make sure that the high side and low side readings are within spec when you turn the AC on. The MK7 platform does have a TSB out there for a sticky NV280 valve that can cause poor AC performance.