GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Switching from stock 15 inch Wheels to 17 inch - Initial Impressions

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
So today I made the swap out of stock 15 inch wheels to 17 Drag wheels, and Continental Extreme Contact dws 06s. I did not have a chance to do much spirited driving, and hard cornering, but my impressions so far are:

1) Wheels and tires look great. The Drags in 2 shades of grey look nearly stock on my Platinum Grey TSI. Really fill out the wheel wells much better.

2) I feel more of the road, but not extreme. Not a night and day difference but the ride is a little tighter, and I feel more of the road including bumps - but again, not a huge difference.

3) Feel more sure footed. I think I will have a better sense of this after living with the new wheels/tires for a couple weeks.

4) Lost some of the acceleration zap on the TSI. This was disappointing. With the 15 inch wheels I could make the tires chirp off of a dead stop in 2nd gear. Not now. With my kind of driving I don't have an opportunity to floor the gas very often, but I was curious abut this and tried flooring the Golf a couple times, and now the Golf feels slower. A lot slower. I was careful in my choice of wheels and think I found something in weight close to the stock 15's - but if I were to do it again I would look for some wheels under 18 lbs. In my case this is not a deal breaker, as I am planning to do the APR Stage 1 in the next few months.

SUMMARY: So from my experience if you are looking to go to bigger wheels go light weight. Otherwise the added weight from the bigger wheels and tires take a lot of the fun out of the Golf TSI experience. Otherwise consider bigger wheels along with a Stage I tune.

Hope to post pictures later.

My 2 cents.

- w

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
UPDATE: So after my 2nd test spin I think I need to revise my earlier comments on acceleration. With less traffic on the roads, I pushed the Golf a little harder. It still does move out sharply. And on at least one acceleration I chirped the front tires. I think I am getting a feel for the improved, more precise handling as well. May the tires are just breaking in.

CB1111 - You may be right too.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
Pics. Best to view these as "Open in a New Tab" Or use this link...https://sites.google.com/site/btkail/home/cars

I was looking for a subtle change. Something close to a stock look. I think the Drags wok for this.

Last edited:

Woody_in_MN

Ready to race!
Thanks! The wheels are a 2 tone, Silver spokes, and the rest a darker gray.

I used to have an easy time posting pics when comcast let me have a free personal site, but policy changed and I only have my personal google page left. The link us to my google page.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
They definitely look great and I was thinking of making the same upgrade but was put off after reading about the reduced performance on another site. 16 inches might be a happy medium but wouldn't be worth the cost unless you can find some really cheap wheels on craigslist or something.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
btw will you or someone else who knows please link me the exact wheels and tires you bought? Thanks.