GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When to expect used 2018s in market ?

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
I know it's early, but curious when we might start to see used or CPO 2018s on the market?

I like the 6yr/72k warranty but hate the depreciation on a new car.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If you find the right deal on a brand new 2018, you dont have to take the depreciation. Also you are going to take a hit only if you are going to sell it in a couple of years.

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
Even if you get a good deal on a new 18 you will still take a hit on depreciation.

Unfortunately the longer warranty is only on 18s or I'd be looking at a 17.

adam1991

Banned
Unfortunately the longer warranty is only on 18s or I'd be looking at a 17.

That's what I initially said. Then I looked at the details.

I will happily insure myself for the huge amount of money I saved getting an end of year 2017.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
To answer the earlier question, I'd probably keep it for 5-6 years.

CPO SE trim (with PP) and low miles: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/731762934/overview/. And people have reported buying brand new 2018 SE for $27k plus TTL in the forum.

Personally, i do not see the difference to be worth enough to go the CPO route for the following factors:
CPO warranty is not the same as brand new bumper to bumper warranty
Unknown history of the vehicle (GTI being a cheap performance vehicle which could be easily abused by the previous owner)
Low mile personally owned GTIs are hard to find (most of them are dealer demo / service loaners)

Vrrm11

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had a dealer tell me the extra 2yr/24k CPO warranty is the same as the factory warranty, it is bumper-to-bumper and covers the same things.

Is that not true?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I just had a dealer tell me the extra 2yr/24k CPO warranty is the same as the factory warranty, it is bumper-to-bumper and covers the same things.

Is that not true?

I am not 100% sure as i have not bought a CPO. One has to go through the complete contract to figure that out.

Dealers claim the extended warranty with brand new ones (mostly 2017s) is the same as OEMs bumper to bumper warranty which is not true and i can assure you on that.

adam1991

Banned

Is that not true?

You must read the contract to know, but that's the common knowledge in the industry in various reviews.

But, I can assure you of this: it is a VW factory product, and it is the ONLY VW factory product that anyone can buy at any time outside the VW factory new car warranty.

This document:

https://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/PDFs/CPO-Service-Contract-Plan.pdf

was created on March 18, 2016 and therefore may not be current. But looking at it closely, VW is specific about calling it an "optional Certified Pre-Owned Service Contract Plan"--which is NOT a warranty.

Further inspection shows that it disclaims any coverage for the following:

No payment or reimbursement for burnt valves, worn or carbon
fouled piston rings, the correction of oil consumption, or any
repairs for reduction in engine efficiency that must be performed
on your vehicle. See service contract for complete details.

No correction for oil consumption or high fuel use? That's not like the new car factory warranty at all.

So yeah, even the brochure screams "see the actual contract for complete details".

Read the contract and evaluate for yourself the answer to your question: "is it true?". I don't think it is.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Has anyone seen where 2018's are going to be certified? I can't see VW offering in effect an 8-year plan.

Even if, bulbs, batteries and wear items aren't covered. And like was said, you have that $50 per visit co-pay. CPO cars only need to have 50% tire depth and 50% brake thickness left. Believe me, dealers will certify a car that really doesn't qualify.

Last edited: