GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Power Question

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently purchased JB4 for my R. I installed it yesterday and put about 30 miles on with map 1 and couldn’t really tell much of a difference. Switched it to map 2 and it’s a little better but doesn’t seem to have that in your face boost that my past turned card have had. Could it be because I haven’t done any WOT runs and it’s not adapted? Any other thoughts? May just ditch it and get UM. ?*♀️

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
The performance gain on part throttle is relatively mild as most people don't want something over sensitive to power gains for normal commute. Give it some stick and in map 2 you should feel a decent difference.
Compared to past cars as they start getting more and more refined the gains are less evident as the car carries the extra power well.

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
The performance gain on part throttle is relatively mild as most people don't want something over sensitive to power gains for normal commute. Give it some stick and in map 2 you should feel a decent difference.
Compared to past cars as they start getting more and more refined the gains are less evident as the car carries the extra power well.

Thanks George! I’m use to APR where it’s pretty torquey down low so that’s maybe why. I’ll have to run some logs so we can get map 6 dialed in. ?

badger91

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m considering buying a JB4. This slightly deters me. So on normal driving conditions you can’t really tell you have JB4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I’m considering buying a JB4. This slightly deters me. So on normal driving conditions you can’t really tell you have JB4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Think of it as a more urgent version of the car stock. But once you're in the right gear/rpm, it goes!

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Maybe I should rephrase what I said. The JB4 works on boost and the car is very fast to build up boost. What it does do though is also look at the pedal position so you don't get a sudden urge of boost. So in essence its OEM like but with elevated power.
Most user report better throttle sensitivity too.

Langer1

Passed Driver's Ed
Coming from a unitronic stage 2 hpfp 2007 gti into a JB4 mk7 r, the part throttle response is night and day. Definitely prefer the mild feeling jb4. Give it some time, you'll get used to it.

tknj99

Ready to race!
With part throttle in mind, is it possible/feasible to increase boost in Map6 to higher numbers to make it behave similar to the pedal box..

For example..

The way i understand it, if Map6, 2000rpm is set to 2.0 and your at 1/4 throttle then maybe the added boost is 25% of 2.0, so 0.5 additive

If we set it to 4.0 at 2000rpm, then it would follow suit that additive at 1/4 throttle would be 1.0, and so on

Is this theory accurate? If so, then it could be a nice option instead of the pedal box for those of us who dont usually floor the car and live usually under 1/2 throttle.