GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Walked out on dealer - did not purchase the R :-(

only1harry

Ready to race!
Harry save yourself and just let the thread die... Post your new R in another thread when you get one that fits your specifications.

Yeah you 're right. Now he 's got me working on cars in the 50's which would make me over 80 years old. I guess he doesn't read posts carefully, and is now imagining things like I worked on Model T's! hehehe. Can't win with people that can't stand anyone else's opinion that differs from theirs :rolleyes:

adam1991

Banned
I was talking about what your uncle taught you, which is what HE learned from cars from the '50s.

Which apparently hasn't changed one bit.

Got it.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
When I unwrapped my car myself, it had 25 km's on it. I think all R's are run on a dyno in the factory for a few miles?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Harry save yourself and just let the thread die... Post your new R in another thread when you get one that fits your specifications.
This ^^. Some posters think their cars will last forever and oil changes are mostly a waste of time and money because it's 'long-life oil' so will also last forever. Cars have been developed loads sure, but are still machines and chemicals (oil) still 'break down' and both still wear out in time. No, I wasn't trained on Model T's either.

On a slighly different angle, imagine if you left your car for routine servcing, and it was returned later same day having covered an extra 50miles, similar thing, think this was kinda what the OP was getting at. + the dealer lied, though after screwing up once before I'd never return in any case, dealers get one chance with me, then that's it.....

Last edited:

only1harry

Ready to race!
When I unwrapped my car myself, it had 25 km's on it. I think all R's are run on a dyno in the factory for a few miles?

No, I think Ferrari does that with some of their engines, but even if VW did, they would do it with the engine outside the car or with the odometer disconnected.

If you read all the posts here you will see that many purchased their R's with only a couple of miles on the clock.

Harry

mattf

My brother was a test driver at the BMW plant in Greenville. They test drive every car and do things to those cars right when they drive off the line that nobody does on a test drive. Both my R's were still wrapped in the delivery plastic and I was the only person outside the factory to drive them. However it wouldn't have stopped from buying one as long as it had less than 200 miles on it. Just look it over for rock chips and call it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
My brother was a test driver at the BMW plant in Greenville. They test drive every car and do things to those cars right when they drive off the line that nobody does on a test drive.\

EVERY car?? Spartanburg produced 371,000 vehicles last year. It would be literally impossible to "test drive every car". How many of these "test drivers" would they need to employ? Where would they drive them all? At the Performance Center?? Definitely not happening there.

Does your brother have any other interesting tales you can share?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
EVERY car?? Spartanburg produced 371,000 vehicles last year. It would be literally impossible to "test drive every car". How many of these "test drivers" would they need to employ? Where would they drive them all? At the Performance Center?? Definitely not happening there.

Every car manufactured will be driven to at least a squeak and rattle slalom test track. This is a part of quality check in every manufacturing plant across the globe. It might not happen in Performance center but in a small track right next to the end of assembly line.

Ford plant: https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...9ef22684698b9a!8m2!3d42.1032116!4d-83.2475951

FCA plant: https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...bd32f19f84d4f3!8m2!3d42.3731232!4d-82.9672939

mattf

Does your brother have any other interesting tales you can share?

Every car that rolled off the assembly line they would drive they have a group of people that work anytime the assembly line is running driving cars. He would work 10-12 hour shifts and when he wasn't on break he was driving a car. The BMW plant is huge they have the performance track but also have test drive areas for new cars.

371000 cars is roughly 1000 cars a day. For a group of 20 people that would only be 50 cars a person. Say it takes you 10 minutes a car which from the loop he told me about seems reasonable you could complete that work in about 8 hours. I really think 20 people is on the low side of the test drive group size. I can ask him for more details about I this weekend though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ15

Ready to race!
Geez, this escalated quickly.
I wouldn't care about the [37 miles] mileage if the car otherwise looks good. But I'm 100% with you on the lying. I have a disdain for car dealerships because of these types of routine lies. Even when you catch them in a lie, what do you do... besides not buy their car or their services. Big whoop. Another guy will come in later in the afternoon and give them his money.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
This is a load of horsemanure - but - it is your opinion (even if it is completely wrong) so if that is how you want to waste your money then feel free to do "your" break-in period.

this statement made me laugh. Are you really going ape sh#t over a $40 or $60 oil change on a $40k car? hahaha. Spending $200 on a Knicks game, now that is a waste of money, but $40 on an oil change for piece of mind, I'd say that would hardly break any R owner's bank and certainly doesn't hurt.