GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My 3 day old 2200 mile 2018 VW Golf R

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Congrats! I agree about the Bay Area dealers. Dublin VW was asking $3K over MSRP for mine when I picked it up.

Enjoy the Oryx. As funny as it sounds.. sometimes I turn the light on in the garage and just stare at the pearly goodness for a few minutes. I really love the profile of the MK7 front end.

Check out the California section of the forum. Wrath is trying to setup a meet for all of us Bay Area guys. I'd like to see that digital dash in person if you end up making it out.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I did a detour for the first 200 miles to get some delicious barbecue and did some of the state roads and some cities. I wringed it out along I-10 protected by Waze and the Valentine One which was brilliant (just got the new one). It saw plenty of revs.

Lane assist and ACC was incredible, it works better than in our GTI. I love this car. I am putting all-seasons on it tomorrow because people will want to take it to Tahoe. It already got its first rental the day after I got back from the drive and a few more booked up. Lots of folks renting it because they aren't allowed test drives.

Do 2018's come with Adaptive Lane Tracking enabled?

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
They do and are a pain in the butt ... not my cup of tea so I turned it off. Some people love this feature

Push the button on the end of the turn signal stock to get access to all the DAP settings. You can turn it off there, it’s the first one at the top of the list. At least for us Canucks it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Nice, I wish I had time for a road trip in my 18 R, cuz i love how you can enlarge the nav map on cluster, it seems like a waste driving around my city when I don’t need it haha

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
I did this with my '17. I bought it used with 6K miles on it and drove from ATL to NOLA. Saved a boat load of money on the deal and had a blast doing it too. $67 flight was well worth the fun on the way home.

only1harry

Ready to race!

Yes, it is very important for proper engine break-in to vary the engine speed 15+ times (accelerate & slow down) right after buying the car and before getting on the highway.

I would not follow the break-in instructions on that link to the letter because it appears to me geared more to bikes.

Just before I bought my Integra GSR in '99 I was able to email a Honda engineer and Honda race car driver about proper break-in. He said to go up 2/3 to 3/4 of the RPM range slowly in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear, depending on road speed limits, and then let off the gas and coast until down to 2K-2,500 RPM. Then accelerate again moderately (not aggressively) to 5,500 RPM (redline was 8K) and let off the gas and coast again to the 2K's. He said to repeat this 15 to 20 times immediately after picking up the car, or before it reaches 30 miles. Then he said to drive "normal" and for 400 miles without redlining or getting into VTEC (at 6100 RPM) and without ever flooring the gas pedal. After 400 gradually increase "spirited driving" and RPM's to get into VTEC, but not more than 7K RPM amd still no full WOT. Start redlining (8K) and WOT after 800 miles.

These instructions he sent me were for GSR and Type-R that had VTEC engines. I did this for my GSR and followed his guidelines and RPM ratio for my other Hondas and cars since, but extended the redline rule and WOT to 1K miles, and all my new cars never burned oil and retained the original power well above 100k mi. My 2001 Civic EX coupe seemed to get faster until 80k miles. I sold it with 171k mi. on the odo and it was just as fast or faster from when I bought it, and it did not burn a drop of oil. Same with the 2006 Civic. 155k mi. when I sold it, and both cars never saw the inside of a dealership after I took delivery. Did the same with my wife's 2004 CRV EX and that car pulled just as strong as when it was new when it got totalled with 118k mi.

I plan on doing the same with the R when (hopefully) I get it this week.

Harry

spessx

Ready to race!
Bay Area dealers all have between $5-10k markup. This dealer sold me for a little under MSRP. It is a 50 state legal car I just need to get it smogged before getting a plate.

I bought my 2016 R from AJ at Woodlands VW and got a ridiculous deal. $33k for a base model with 6mt. I paid them a few hundred bucks to deliver it to Austin.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I did a detour for the first 200 miles to get some delicious barbecue and did some of the state roads and some cities.

Something tells me you came through my town? :D

Hopefully you enjoyed some of our nice driving roads out west?

Wondering that myself... Would never want to break in the first 500 miles with highway cruising...

There’s always one in every thread these days. :rolleyes:

Last edited: