GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine cooling issues

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
So was doing my first auto x event last night, then when I finished my last run I decided screw it let me get one hit at the 1/4 drag. Once I finished the check engine popped up. I'll get the exact codes in a bit but obdelevn says it's the engine cooling bypass, also says cooling low performance and cooling electrical something can't remember right now.

Had an hour long drive back home, during the drive I kept it at 65mph, noticed the engine temp was rising pass the middle mark, pulled over and didn't see any leaks. Cleared the codes with obdeleven, restarted the infotainment system since that bastard controls everything and started driving again. Now the temp started dropping and held at around 160 f for the rest of the drive home, same for oil temp.

Anyone know where the bypass is to give it a look? All shops are closed and don't think warranty will cover it since I'm stage two and was prob due to the abuse at track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auditech

Passed Driver's Ed
The thermostat/water pump assembly is not fun to get to, it's buried under the intake in the front of the engine compartment, doable without intake manifold removal but most of the work is done from underneath.

Auditech

Passed Driver's Ed
Also the thermostat is electronically controlled, so the mechanism could have just temporarily gotten stuck internally. Did the codes return after a full cool down period and another drive cycle?

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
They returned maybe like 20 min after removing, so no not really, had to drive home from the event. I'll try clearing them now and then taking it for a spin to see if it comes back.

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Cleared the codes and rode around for 20 min and they didn't return but the engine temp still not reaching the center, it holds at like a little over 1/8 over to the left. Below is what my eurodyne tool read.

If anyone has a diagram or pic to what I should be looking for that would be great. Google isn't being friendly right now.

4 Fault codes found :

15462 :
Engine Coolant Bypass Valve Control Circuit/Open
P2681
Fault status : 11101101
Active

Active at least once in current or last driving cycle
Confirmed

Active at least once since DTC's cleared
Not yet tested in this driving cycle
Warning lamp on

15470 :
Engine Coolant Flow Low/Performance
P00B7
Fault status : 11101101
Active

Confirmed

Warning lamp on

16465 :
Engine Coolant Flow Low/Performance
P00B7
Fault status : 01101101
Active

Confirmed

Warning lamp off

25214 :
Cooling System Performance
P2181
Fault status : 01100101
Active

Warning lamp off

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
Just dropped it off at the dealer since im still at 31k miles. Fingers crossed that it can be taken care of with warranty. if not guess from my own pocket.

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
In case someone gets hit by the same thing, vw is claiming it was due to a change in coding. Somehow my car got coded for an automatic transmission and I'm 6mt. The only coding change that was done was to enable ECS sport, so guessing that did it. They changed the thermostat either way, but the automatic has a different thermostat so that is what caused everything. Weird that it happened only after all the pulling instead of right after i coded it 3 days prior to the event.