GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Still possible to order a Golf R?

mppenn

Interested in a Golf R but none in my area fit what I want. The closest is severeal hundred miles away. And the closest one has front license plate holes drilled off-center and on the curve in the bumper. Is it still possible to order a Golf R or is the dealership just trying to sell me what they have on the lot? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

bumGTI

Interested in a Golf R but none in my area fit what I want. The closest is severeal hundred miles away. And the closest one has front license plate holes drilled off-center and on the curve in the bumper. Is it still possible to order a Golf R or is the dealership just trying to sell me what they have on the lot? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes, it is possible to still order an R. Depending on the dealer, it could be a very long wait on them getting it allocated to them. When you order, they don't build it at the factory for you. VW fills orders by first building the cars then allocating them to dealerships by matching up orders. They allocate to dealers even if the dealership doesn't have an order as well. When I placed my order in November, I was told it could be a few months or it could be allocated as a 2017. That's too long of a wait for me!

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
When I placed my order in November, I was told it could be a few months or it could be allocated as a 2017. That's too long of a wait for me!

That's rubbish. You would think VW would be going the extra mile in North America rather than adopting the you'll get it when ever stance They don't have too many customers right now so they should look after the few they have.

I'm struggling to understand why New car orders are managed differently to Europe. When you order here the dealer will give a provisional delivery date. It may be months away but at least you know. The provisional date can move a little until build week is confirmed. Once confirmed that's it your car will arrive approximately 4 weeks after your build week

bumGTI

VW seems to not like us in the USA. We don't get options such as a sunroof or LED tail lights. It's only fitting to give us ordering where we don't actually have our cars built for us, but allocated to a dealer for our order.

mppenn

That's what my dealer said also preacher. I wonder if this means that Golf R production for the year has stopped. Also makes me wonder if I should just take a chance on this Oryx White car and get the bumper repaired if the paint is so difficult to match or just wait for 2017?

bumGTI

You guys need to find an dealer that can still place orders. Some dealers that don't sell as many cars cannot place orders. I was told by 2 dealers in my area that they could not place an order. But, I was able to place an order with a larger dealer and I've been offered to place an order at other dealerships. Also, the dealer I placed an order with said VW "accepted" my order. I ended up finding 2 dealers with DAPRs within 300 miles and I'm having them shipped to me. Like I said before, the dealer I placed the order with did not know when my order would be allocated to them so I took it in my own hands. Don't give up hope!

perivale

Ready to race!
vw's sales model is a bit crappy, I think. i was looking at r's at first but there were none around me, and i live in Dallas, which is a big city with quite a few vw dealerships within 50 miles or so. actually, let me take that back -- no-one had an R that I wanted, I think one place had an R but they were openly charging $4000 above MSRP for it. i feel like it shouldn't be so tricky to get a car you want -- after all i'm willing to GIVE money for it! ending up getting my gti instead, but still had to fly to san antonio for the one with the options i wanted and the colour i wanted. to me, it seems like (VW) dealers make it hard to order and make it sound like it'll be months before the car comes, and the sad part is I think that is how VW does things here.

bumGTI

If you wait long enough, and catch it in time, those charging above MSRP will eventually come back down to MSRP. That's what happened to me. I waited a week or 2 and contacted them again. Dealer was still sitting on the car and came down to MSRP. It's not worth it to do that because they end up sitting on it longer and they still sell it for MSRP in the end. Why not just charge MSRP to begin with and have it sold right when it comes in... Crazy

perivale

Ready to race!
i don't have a lot of experience buying a new car but it does seem like the sales model is pretty rubbish if you actually have some specifics in mind vs just buying whatever's on the lot that you can get a good deal on. i'd be pretty happy if the tesla-type sales model become more widespread and buying a car became like buying pretty much anything else -- the price is set, you either get it or you don't. having said that, truecar and things like that have been pretty good in cutting all the haggling-at-the-dealer pressure.