GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 03-26-2016, 01:02 AM   #35
Ursus americanus

Drives: 2016dsgPP3drSEdccLP
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-father View Post
Hello. I have done similar solution. Radar detector button conected to left panel.

I bought new leftp panel. Original panel with start/stop panel a swapped with new one with mode + start stop button.

Here is schema of panel, and connector.

So i figured out those resistors must total 420ohm to reduce 12v to 1.5v, but do we know the current requirement of that led? Maybe 25mA?
Ursus americanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #36
x-father

Drives: Golf 7
I don't know. Why you need this?
x-father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #37
PasifikMavi

Drives: MK7 90KW Manual
thank you for your guide golfdave,

i purchased MODE/S&S/ESC button from VW dealer (my car only had S&S button) but the repair cables were relatively expensive so i went to a VAG Store well known for their retrofits (they have even retrofitted Active Info Display from Passat to MK7 Golf). They charged for around 100USD for cable harness and labor.

It was fine untill that point but when they connected it with the way you mentioned, nothing worked. They checked ELSA which was still pointing to the connector you have mentioned. As an alternative they connected it directly to ABS Module in engine bay without using any fuses or something. Do you think this is safe ?
PasifikMavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #38
jessiewonka

Drives: MK7 Golf 1.8 TSI
Does anyone know what perceivable difference in handling and throttle there is with ESC off on a 1.8 TSI? With such little power I can't imagine very much. Or possibly because of such little power, perhaps it does make a difference.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #39
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasifikMavi View Post
thank you for your guide golfdave,

i purchased MODE/S&S/ESC button from VW dealer (
It was fine untill that point but when they connected it with the way you mentioned, nothing worked. They checked ELSA which was still pointing to the connector you have mentioned. As an alternative they connected it directly to ABS Module in engine bay without using any fuses or something. Do you think this is safe ?

I should be ok as the T17d connector pin5 goes straight to the ABS no fuses needed. So the you car has no wire at pin 5 then??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiewonka View Post
Does anyone know what perceivable difference in handling and throttle there is with ESC off on a 1.8 TSI? With such little power I can't imagine very much. Or possibly because of such little power, perhaps it does make a difference.
Please post question in main forum section. The main reason for ESC button is to make access to functions quicker than via the touch screen. I have mine coded for ESC sport as per the Golf "R", I very rarely use this function. I do however use the TSC off part ALOT in winter time...
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #40
PasifikMavi

[QUOTE=golfdave;255098]I should be ok as the T17d connector pin5 goes straight to the ABS no fuses needed. So the you car has no wire at pin 5 then??

it has the pins but strangely connecting it to there just does not work. If it just goes to ABS unit i am fine with that ^^
Old 04-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #41
golfdave

[QUOTE=PasifikMavi;255099]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdave View Post
I
it has the pins but strangely connecting it to there just does not work. If it just goes to ABS unit i am fine with that ^^
I would be very careful about that then...

For VW OEM fit you take pin 9 from the ESC switch module to pin5 of the T17d connector. then pin 5 on the other side of the T17d connector should be factory wiring to pin 39 on ABS unit.

Was there existing factory wiring to pin 5 on one side of the connector, remember you need both sides of the connector wired up!
Old 04-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #42
PasifikMavi

[QUOTE=golfdave;255103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasifikMavi View Post

I would be very careful about that then...

For VW OEM fit you take pin 9 from the ESC switch module to pin5 of the T17d connector. then pin 5 on the other side of the T17d connector should be factory wiring to pin 39 on ABS unit.

Was there existing factory wiring to pin 5 on one side of the connector, remember you need both sides of the connector wired up!
I don't know. despite the shop who did this is so well known, they wont let you see the car while doing their work. So i dont really know how they did it.

Maybe i should hope for the best as it work without a problem right now
Old 04-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #43
Spinstorm

Drives: MY2017 R; previously GTD MY2016
What is the point in turning off ESC? I thought it was a safety feature to stop issues where the road is slippery.
Spinstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #44
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinstorm View Post
What is the point in turning off ESC? I thought it was a safety feature to stop issues where the road is slippery.
The ESC switch when pressed once turns of the ASR traction control like you can do via the infotainment screen which takes longer. You need to do this to move off from a standstill even with winter tyres on a slippy surface otherwise the car just fights itself when you need wheel spin...even the handbook states this..

Turning the ESC to sport mode via a longer press is like factory spec on "R" which allows more actual slide before the nanny ESC takes over...If you tack your car then ESC OFF which is code-able with VCDS is even better..
Old 06-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #45
x2001pmq

Golfdave, do you need the factory switch for this or could you use any push button momentary switch and just wire in directly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x2001pmq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #46
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2001pmq View Post
Golfdave, do you need the factory switch for this or could you use any push button momentary switch and just wire in directly?

Any push button momentary switch should do in theory as that is all its doing except for the backlighting, but that is not part of the ABS coding. All the ABS unit requires is the momentary 12v signal.

You thinking a 007/military/fighter red flip switch?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #47
x2001pmq

Quote:
Any push button momentary switch should do in theory as that is all its doing except for the backlighting, but that is not part of the ABS coding. All the ABS unit requires is the momentary 12v signal.

You thinking a 007/military/fighter red flip switch?

Golfdave thanks for the quick reply ... I have some switchs lying around and was thinking of making a custom switch block with some aluminum. I haven't decided where to place it yet but nothing as big as a red flip switch ... that's to outrageous for my tastes.

x2001pmq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #48
Micah247

Drives: MK7 Golf TDI
Wired it all up on my 2015 Golf TDI hatch. No luck
Micah247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #49
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah247 View Post
Wired it all up on my 2015 Golf TDI hatch. No luck
You had ASR switch off via touch screen before you did the mod??

Double checked all wiring is continuous & ok ,using multimeter, light bulb test?

Does the switch light up white with the others when the main lights are on???
Old 09-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #50
Micah247

Drives: MK7 Golf TDI
Quote:
You had ASR switch off via touch screen before you did the mod??

Double checked all wiring is continuous & ok ,using multimeter, light bulb test?

Does the switch light up white with the others when the main lights are on???
I do have that function in the touch screen and I do have a pin 5.

I'll check with a test light when I get home.

The switch does not light up white when the headlights are on. I didn't expect it to. I had no switches to begin with. I connected just pins 9&10. What pins give power to the white light in the switch?
Micah247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #51
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah247 View Post
I do have that function in the touch screen and I do have a pin 5.

I'll check with a test light when I get home.

The switch does not light up white when the headlights are on. I didn't expect it to. I had no switches to begin with. I connected just pins 9&10. What pins give power to the white light in the switch?
that's your problem, you had no switches down that side..you are missing additional wiring...pin 1 & pin 2 for earth & switched power for lumination

all the pictograms should light up white like the electric window switches when the headlight are on....

Last edited by golfdave; 09-22-2017 at 10:33 PM.