GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #69
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,697
You miss the point 100%.

You're saying that you shut off the stop/start, yet you have demonstrated instances of it shutting itself off.

Yes, it shut itself off when put into Park. But what promises do you have that the shutting off won't happen while you're driving?

You did, after all, turn off the stop/start feature. So it shouldn't be doing that AT ALL.
adam1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #70
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
You miss the point 100%.

You're saying that you shut off the stop/start, yet you have demonstrated instances of it shutting itself off.

Yes, it shut itself off when put into Park. But what promises do you have that the shutting off won't happen while you're driving?

You did, after all, turn off the stop/start feature. So it shouldn't be doing that AT ALL.
So it sure sounds like the car is working inconsistently. We're making progress!
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:45 AM   #71
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
So the first week I have had my 2018 R it was set right - stop the car, put it in Park and the engine shuts off. I get out, lock it and go about my day. Today, after driving around with the wife for a while, it no longer does that and I must press the Start/Stop button to turn off the engine.
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/13/news...mes/index.html
adam1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #72
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 124
So?
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #73
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,697
So you initially trusted, after you put your car in Park but without pushing the Off button, that your car was actually off--when it wasn't necessarily so.
adam1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:52 AM   #74
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
So you initially trusted, after you put your car in Park but without pushing the Off button, that your car was actually off--when it wasn't necessarily so.
Evidently you're making up your own OP post. Go read it again. You apparently can't tell the difference between my question and what is happening to these people.
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #75
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
Evidently you're making up your own OP post. Go read it again. You apparently can't tell the difference between my question and what is happening to these people.
Your OP said the engine was off--but then suddenly one day it wasn't off.

What's to say that when you first had it, the SYSTEM was or wasn't off? You didn't know. All you knew was that the engine was not running.

Unless the SYSTEM is off, anything can happen.

(And, of course, if the SYSTEM was on but it turned the engine off while it was in your garage, what's to say it wouldn't turn the engine off while on the road?)
adam1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #76
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
Your OP said the engine was off--but then suddenly one day it wasn't off.

What's to say that when you first had it, the SYSTEM was or wasn't off? You didn't know. All you knew was that the engine was not running.

Unless the SYSTEM is off, anything can happen.

(And, of course, if the SYSTEM was on but it turned the engine off while it was in your garage, what's to say it wouldn't turn the engine off while on the road?)
And you prove my point about the car being inconsistent. We the owners should NOT expect the car to simply "do what it wants" whether I've read the f-ing manual or not. We also should not expect the car to shut the engine off if you put the gear selector in Park as NO CAR EVER has done that in my 40 years of driving no matter how much you seem to think that's OK, especially if the "designers designed it that way."

Anyway, if the system is not off the engine should NEVER turn back on. PERIOD.

So the question remains (whether you fixate on my use of the term "working right" or not) what causes the engine to shut off when shifting to Park? If we as owners are not privy to that logic, then VW has created a problem it needs to fix.
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #77
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
Anyway, if the system is not off the engine should NEVER turn back on. PERIOD.
Not true. The entire purpose of the stop/start feature is to stop the engine, so it doesn't use fuel when not needed, but re-start it when you need it to get going.

So the system remains ON while the engine is not running. And the system can, at its discretion, turn the engine back on--in your garage.

So it's up to the driver (a) to understand the car he bought and how its start/stop system works, and (b) take ownership of knowing the state of the SYSTEM--whether it's on or off.

The owner can't abdicate knowing about the car he bought and insist that "based on my 40 years of driving, if the engine is off, it's off".

Quote:
So the question remains (whether you fixate on my use of the term "working right" or not) what causes the engine to shut off when shifting to Park? If we as owners are not privy to that logic, then VW has created a problem it needs to fix.
What does your dealer say?

Maybe your car is broken. Imagine that.
adam1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #78
admiralackbar
Member
 
Drives: 18 R DSG Tornado Red
Location: Montreal, QC
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 49
Quote:
what causes the engine to shut off when shifting to Park?
The start/stop system, obviously.

If you are in race mode and you put it in Park does the engine shut off? I frankly don't remember because I don't care. But I believe it should stay on if you are in race mode.
admiralackbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #79
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
The owner can't abdicate knowing about the car he bought and insist that "based on my 40 years of driving, if the engine is off, it's off".
Look Nancy, I'm asking a question to foment discussion about a problem with the car (you appear to have forgotten this is what these forums are for) and all you can do is imply I'm too stupid to drive the car so you need to back off and either offer constructive help or get the F out of my face.

If you have no answers, stop reading the thread and move on. Otherwise you're proving my point about your being nothing more than a generic internet/forum bully and I'm pretty tired of your BS attacks. Have no answer? Leave. Otherwise you're just being a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
Maybe your car is broken.
There you go. You finally said something reasonable. Bra-VO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralackbar View Post
If you are in race mode and you put it in Park does the engine shut off? I frankly don't remember because I don't care. But I believe it should stay on if you are in race mode.
As do I and that's the whole point of the thread - it's not consistent. Sometimes it shuts off and sometimes is does not. Regardless of which mode I'm in and I run several days in each mode so I don't get confused about "what setting did I use yesterday?"

Yes, the start/stop function at stop lights, in traffic, etc. does what it is supposed to do SOMETIMES as well but I have chalked that up to whatever esoteric logic in the car decides to do any given day. But shifting to Park should do nothing but shift into Park and that's it. Especially in Race mode which should not shut anything off at all but it does, at least in my car and it does it indiscriminately. I never know when it will or not. That makes no sense. The driver shouldn't have to guess or wonder what the hell is going on.

Yeah, a trip to VW service is likely in order.
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:59 AM   #80
whaglfa
Junior Member
 
Drives: Golf
Location: IT
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2
You are making a mess of this thread. You need to be clear on how it behaves.
If you DISABLE START & STOP does it stop the engine at a traffic light and if you shift into Park?
Start & stop is DISABLED when the light is ON!
Why shouldn't it stop the engine in Park if S&S is ON?
whaglfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #81
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
Look Nancy, I'm asking a question to foment discussion about a problem with the car (you appear to have forgotten this is what these forums are for) and all you can do is imply I'm too stupid to drive the car so you need to back off and either offer constructive help or get the F out of my face.
Well, when it first happened--that you put the car into Park and the engine shut off--you accepted that as being "normal" without ever having read the owner's manual.

You do the math.
adam1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #82
Sir_Mk7r
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf R
Location: Atl
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 212
Im not sure if the 18s have the same problem as the 17, but when you are in race mode and turn the car off and then get in it the next day and turn it on it will show it as being in race mode, but it is not. I reverts back to normal but doesn't show that in the display. The only way I can tell is because when you go into race mode it opens the exhaust valves and makes a deeper tone. I usually leave mine in race mode, but when I start it up everyday I change it to comfort then put it back on to sport and it works like it should. Try testing the car in other modes and see what it does and try to narrow done what mode does what.

hope this helps
Sir_Mk7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:58 AM   #83
only1harry
Member
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive, 1999 Integra GSR
Location: NY state
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 90
Com'on guys, Kevin is asking for help, and he is trying to explain it but the issue is intermittent or inconsistent. Why can't you show some restraint and stop with the snotty remarks? I see them on almost every thread. Why do people feel the need to make the OP or other person feel bad and create a hostile environment? I don't get it. We are all here because we are car enthusiasts and like the R. We are like a band of brothers. There is no need to patronize each other.
only1harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:21 AM   #84
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaglfa View Post
You are making a mess of this thread. You need to be clear on how it behaves.
If you DISABLE START & STOP does it stop the engine at a traffic light and if you shift into Park?
Start & stop is DISABLED when the light is ON!
Why shouldn't it stop the engine in Park if S&S is ON?
I was exceedingly clear in the original post:
As far as I can figure, I was driving in Race mode and the transmission in S with the Start/Stop feature off though apparently Start/Stop is disabled in Race mode. But the car shut off when put into park.

I've been going over this manual for quite some time and can't seem to figure out which setting to change to make the engine go off when put into Park.
And you are correct, why shouldn't it stop the engine if S&S is ON? But it turns off the engine seemingly at random regardless of which mode I'm in. I'm pointing out an action the car should not be doing - shutting off the engine when Start/Stop is OFF but specifically when shifting to Park.

Sure, if Start/Stop is on and you pull into a parking spot and stop, the engine shuts off. Start/Stop doing what it should as it has no idea you are in a parking spot. But with Start/Stop off, you pull into a parking spot and the engine stays on. BUT, put the shifter into Park and BAM! Engine shuts off.

Maybe my car is the only one doing it. Maybe it is broken. But I was hoping to see if anyone could offer some help and posted the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
Well, when it first happened--that you put the car into Park and the engine shut off--you accepted that as being "normal" without ever having read the owner's manual.

You do the math.
I read the manual. Stop implying I did not. If you're such an expert and have it memorized, YOU tell me exactly where it says the engine shuts off when putting the transmission into Park. If you can not quote that from the manual YOU do the math.
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:30 AM   #85
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Mk7r View Post
Im not sure if the 18s have the same problem as the 17, but when you are in race mode and turn the car off and then get in it the next day and turn it on it will show it as being in race mode, but it is not.
As far as I can tell, the car will remember it's in Race mode and appears to be though it's obviously not in Sport mode and of course always reverts to Drive which is not a problem. A double push at the end of travel to D is not a problem. In fact, D is usually the place to start when leaving the house anyway and then, when I'm on the road where I can go faster, I change to Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Mk7r View Post
Try testing the car in other modes and see what it does and try to narrow done what mode does what.
Yep, I've been trying different things, primarily leaving it on ONE mode for several days to be consistent in testing. 3 days in Sport only, 3 days in Drive only, 3 days in Race, Comfort, etc. The sad fact is that, as I pointed out previously, the car is not consistent in what it does and it does what it wants when it wants!
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.