GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 04-22-2018, 03:04 AM   #18
southpawboston

Drives: '17 GSW S
Quote:
Originally Posted by demi9od View Post
You guys bought em all.
There are two right now, but shipping is ridiculous on one of them, you could probably talk the seller down:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...39267&_sacat=0

past VAGs: '69 Type 3 Variant • 1984 GTI • '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition • '86 Scirocco • '86 Audi 4000S
southpawboston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #19
SteveRosenlund

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Quote:
You guys bought em all.
i just bought 2 right now. $22 not $14 though.
SteveRosenlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #20
Cuzoe

Drives: MK4 GTI 1.8T, MK7 Golf TDI
Grabbed a couple yesterday, just under $35 shipped. Only intend to go in my door panels the one time also. Ambient lighting, door warning lights, power folding mirrors with sequential turn signals, 5-series door control modules because Golf S, sound dampening, speakers, and door stops... Hopefully never in there again. Name:  _20180421_153906.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  102.5 KB

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Cuzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #21
southpawboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzoe View Post
5-series door control modules because Golf S
What are you referring to?

past VAGs: '69 Type 3 Variant • 1984 GTI • '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition • '86 Scirocco • '86 Audi 4000S
Old 04-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #22
Cuzoe

I'm struggling to find the post right now, will edit when I do. But the door control module part numbers in my car (2015 TDI S) end in 392 and 393, so called 3-series. The first issue is they do not support the folding function... see this thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32965

Second issue is 3-series modules do not "fully" support mirror dip on reverse. By that I mean I can set my mirror to dip but it does not "remember" it's previous position so it returns to a random position (missing memory module, VCDS shows mirror memory not installed and 255% for x and y coordinates). Modules in ending 592 and 593 fully support this function.

Literally found them right after I hit reply:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-least-for-USA
and
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7544

For random gee-wiz info:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...ontrol-modules

Also found USP Motorsports MK7 GTI Folding Mirror Conversion is just the mirrors while the MK7 Golf Folding Mirror Conversion includes mirrors and modules.

It is unclear to me whether the 3-series modules support ambient lighting also but it will be a moot point since I'm changing them out anyway. Everything in the threads suggests that all GTIs plus any vehicle with Lighting Package gets the better modules. Some SE or SELs without lighting package have them. Some vehicles apparently have a 3-series on the driver and 5-series on the passengers (likely to support the dip function available on some trims outside of NA). And to top it off, it's possible every car shipped with 5-series modules after a certain date.

VCDS scan showed my car to have 3-series modules on both sides. I ordered folding mirrors and modules as package from ali-express.

Last edited by Cuzoe; 04-22-2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Added links.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:19 AM   #23
southpawboston

Quote:
I'm struggling to find the post right now, will edit when I do. But the door control module part numbers in my car (2015 TDI S) end in 392 and 393, so called 3-series. The first issue is they do not support the folding function... see this thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32965

Second issue is 3-series modules do not "fully" support mirror dip on reverse. By that I mean I can set my mirror to dip but it does not "remember" it's previous position so it returns to a random position (missing memory module, VCDS shows mirror memory not installed and 255% for x and y coordinates). Modules in ending 592 and 593 fully support this function.

Literally found them right after I hit reply:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-least-for-USA
and
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7544

For random gee-wiz info:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...ontrol-modules

Also found USP Motorsports MK7 GTI Folding Mirror Conversion is just the mirrors while the MK7 Golf Folding Mirror Conversion includes mirrors and modules.

It is unclear to me whether the 3-series modules support ambient lighting also but it will be a moot point since I'm changing them out anyway. Everything in the threads suggests that all GTIs plus any vehicle with Lighting Package gets the better modules. Some SE or SELs without lighting package have them. Some vehicles apparently have a 3-series on the driver and 5-series on the passengers (likely to support the dip function available on some trims outside of NA). And to top it off, it's possible every car shipped with 5-series modules after a certain date.

VCDS scan showed my car to have 3-series modules on both sides. I ordered folding mirrors and modules as package from ali-express.
Got it, thanks. Useful info. Just checked those threads... bummer, my door modules are both 3-series and my build date is 5/17.

So, I could care less about power folding, but I would really love to have just the passenger mirror dip in reverse (with full memory). So does that mean I only need to replace the passenger door module with a 5-series? (My passenger module ends in 392).

Does it matter what letter follows the part #? B/E/D/

Last edited by southpawboston; 04-23-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:40 AM   #24
Cuzoe

As I understand it yes that's all you would need. Pair of modules on Ali-express goes for under $90 shipped (slowly) or $115-ish shipped DHL. Best choice in my opinion, unless you want to watch eBay or buy a single one new for about the same price as the pair.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:25 AM   #25
southpawboston

Quote:
As I understand it yes that's all you would need. Pair of modules on Ali-express goes for under $90 shipped (slowly) or $115-ish shipped DHL. Best choice in my opinion, unless you want to watch eBay or buy a single one new for about the same price as the pair.

Thanks. I'd rather buy one made in EU (since I only need one) than two made in China.

Edited to add: Just picked up a used one from eBay Germany for $20 shipped to US... came out of a 2016 Passat. I hope it works! Thanks again for that major tip. And sorry to OP for derailing this thread somewhat.

Last edited by southpawboston; 04-23-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #26
demi9od

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Got 1!

My passengers can just deal with it. Wait... does right only work on right...

Old 04-25-2018, 02:20 AM   #27
southpawboston

Quote:
Got 1!

They work on either side. Just flip it over. Even says so on the rubber boot. One end says R Top, the other says L Top.

I have a spare that's yours for postage if you want. PM me for details.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:30 AM   #28
BravoMike

Drives: Mk7 GTI S w/PP, DCC, LP, 6MT
Quote:
Got 1!

That's a great price! Ebay?

Also, great idea about just adding it to the driver side door.
NewSouth VentPod Boost Gauge Kit ||| Enkei Fujin ||| Bridgestone RE-11 ||| VCDS - ESC OFF ||| VW Aspherical Mirrors ||| 24mm H&R RSB ||| AWE Track Catback ||| 034Motorsport Aluminum Dogbone Insert ||| ECS Shifter Bushings ||| ECS Clutch Bleeder Block ||| OEM Short Shifter ||| Cobb AccessPort||| Unitronic Intercooler
BravoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 AM   #29
demi9od

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMike View Post
That's a great price! Ebay?

Also, great idea about just adding it to the driver side door.
Yeah, eBay.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:22 AM   #30
neimis

Drives: MKIV TDI, MKVII TDI
Did this (door check strap) a couple of months ago. Best mod ever. I love it. Every single time I open the door it makes me happy.
neimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #31
SteveRosenlund

Drives: 2018 Golf R
DIY Door Check Strap Replacement

Here’s a comparison of the front vs rear.

Front on the left. Rear on the right.

Last edited by SteveRosenlund; 04-29-2018 at 01:10 AM.
SteveRosenlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:14 AM   #32
Disturbd1

Drives: 2015 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRosenlund View Post
Here’s a comparison of the front vs rear.

Front on the left. Rear on the right.
Does the difference in length translate to a shorter overall open position or slotted positions? I just got 2 rears off eBay, haven't installed yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Disturbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:56 AM   #33
Disturbd1

Drives: 2015 GTI SE
For those interested, I just tackled this project today, and you can in fact use alternate methods to secure the speakers once the rivets are out.

Attached is a picture with an 8/32 size 3/4" length screw going into the thread-sert, a washer in-between. Specifically, you can see where I widened the original hole enough to fit the thread-sert (you'll want to only widen it enough that it requires a bit of tapping from a hammer to ensure a snug fit) in the second photo. The third is for visual aid if anyone decides to go this route.

Soooo stoked to have 3 stopping points on my 2-door now! Those doors are heavy and this really eliminates that pain point!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Disturbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #34
etrips

Drives: 2017 GTI SE
Well this sucks, there aren't any up for sale on ebay that aren't insanely overpriced.
etrips is offline   Reply With Quote