GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 02-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #69
ssgtob1

Drives: 15 sportwagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjam View Post
Just to clarify, you needed to get CP removed before the controller would recognize 47? I'm having the same issue after install, but Im waiting for my appt at the dealer to do CP/FECs.

Also, who did your remote coding in case I need to go that route... however I already have my legit app-connect fec codes

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I can confirm that the amp will not show until cp is removed from the main unit. I can get you the name of the guy doing mine remotely. He is doing mine as I type this. He removed cp and is adding all the fec's.
ssgtob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:40 PM   #70
danjam

Drives: '15 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtob1 View Post
I can confirm that the amp will not show until cp is removed from the main unit. I can get you the name of the guy doing mine remotely. He is doing mine as I type this. He removed cp and is adding all the fec's.
Dude, that would be awesome. Feel free to pm me his info, and/or post a reply.

I figured that was the case with the amp not being recognized. Everything else works like a champ! ...except for CP being active and all...

Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #71
danjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtob1 View Post
Any update on this? I'm curious to know how the programming session went. I have an appt at the dealer tomorrow morning, and wondering if I should cancel...

Old 02-24-2018, 02:09 AM   #72
pwrbkdude

Drives: 2015 Golf R
So here is where *I* am at. I have a 2015 Golf R and purchased a full system from a wrecked 2016 Golf R. MIB II, display, usb connector, and amp. I installed it all the other day, then went to the dealer yesterday. After about three hours (ouch... $$) they have CP removed, but I don't think the FeCs are loaded as NAV won't work, Park Pilot doesn't work, and Performance Monitor isn't there. I need to get the activation code for CarPlay, and then have the FeCs redone... the question is should I go back to the dealer, or is there a wizard out there that can help with this? (Also, FYI I think MIB II sounds better even though both amps are from Alpine, and the MIB II display is head and shoulders above the old one.)
pwrbkdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #73
danjam

quick update... dealer situation, like others, was a half (not total) bust. they were able to remove component protection from the screen and brain, but not the amp. I'm assuming they just didn't realize that the amp had been replaced... even though i told them. I still have no sound, but the interface seems to be working fine. They were unable to get my legitimate FEC App-connect codes to process even after filing a claim with VW HQ. The only bright side is that they charged me NOTHING, because they couldn't get it to work.

I plan to go the VAS5054A OKI route with ODIS. The only question is: who do I get to code it remotely? After doing some google searching I came across these guys.

http://www.vagcarcoding.com

Their website seems the most legit. Anyone have other recommendations?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #74
treybyday

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn
As with danjam, I am also looking for recommendations at this point. Had Component Protection removed by dealership, but I think they messed something up during the FEC SWAP process. They wanted the VIN from where the MIB2 headunit came from, and claim that they were able to associate the App-Connect FEC to my VIN (I never purchased my own App-Connect FEC). They said it shows up in the database, but it's still asking for activation when I tap the App Connect icon. I never asked them to do that, and repeatedly brought up how I would need to purchase the App-Connect key separately. Also don't have Voice Activation, which I had previously on MIB1.

I reached out to Alex @ VW Retrofit UK, but he gave me bad news as well:

"On that part numbers, maps, app connect wont work. Only Radio and Bluetooth can be activated. Because after SWAP functions now its registered to your VIN number and wont ever work"

Stuck!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #75
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjam View Post
quick update... dealer situation, like others, was a half (not total) bust. they were able to remove component protection from the screen and brain, but not the amp. I'm assuming they just didn't realize that the amp had been replaced... even though i told them. I still have no sound, but the interface seems to be working fine. They were unable to get my legitimate FEC App-connect codes to process even after filing a claim with VW HQ. The only bright side is that they charged me NOTHING, because they couldn't get it to work.

I plan to go the VAS5054A OKI route with ODIS. The only question is: who do I get to code it remotely? After doing some google searching I came across these guys.

http://www.vagcarcoding.com

Their website seems the most legit. Anyone have other recommendations?
pm incoming. As for treybyday, what part number do you have? What other info did Alex give you? If it's anything like the info he gave me, it's that the 844 (discover media mib2) can't have his process done to it, only the 0xx (discover pro mib2).

wheelwell & GTI mk7 journal

Last edited by sprinks; 03-01-2018 at 08:27 PM.
sprinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:54 AM   #76
treybyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinks View Post
pm incoming. As for treybyday, what part number do you have? What other info did Alex give you? If it's anything like the info he gave me, it's that the 844 (discover media mib2) can't have his process done to it, only the 0xx (discover pro mib2).
5Q0 035 844 A

So it's as you said. That's unfortunate. He said I should get a replacement headunit, but now I think he meant different headunit.

He said that because of the SWAP functions applied, it's registered to my VIN and "wont ever work". Also said that my part number couldn't support Nav or App-Connect (even though I had been using Android Auto just fine before having Component Protection removed), but only radio and bluetooth, which is conveniently what my dealership was able to turn on.

I asked if buying an App-Connect key and going back to the dealership would work, he said that it's never been tested. Thoughts?

I didn't realize there were so many different MIB2 part numbers. So basically no USA according to this list, lol.

Are there any other options besides getting a different headunit and doing this all over again? My dealership had my car for six days trying to figure out the coding.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #77
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
My experience with app-connect at the dealership didn't work out. If you want an app-connect key i will gladly sell it to you cheaper than anybody on the internet to try.
Yeah, i completely blanked on difference between discover pro versus discover media. There's another way, as per george's recommendations in the first and second post. I will have more results for that process in the not-so-far future. And we may just get a cable swap going around to make it happen.

wheelwell & GTI mk7 journal
sprinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:21 PM   #78
McSkripps

Drives: 2015 GTI S 6-Speed
I had a remote coding session with Jack today to try to remove CP and install the FeCs for my car. Didn't go as planned but that wasn't his fault. I didn't realize that running Windows as a virtual machine on a MacBook Pro would cause driver issues. Trying again Monday and can update you guys. If this ends up not working out for me, I've got a head unit, screen, and USB port that I've verified functionality on if anyone wants to buy the bundle. I'm retrofitting this into a base 2015 GTI S.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #79
danjam

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSkripps View Post
I had a remote coding session with Jack today to try to remove CP and install the FeCs for my car. Didn't go as planned but that wasn't his fault. I didn't realize that running Windows as a virtual machine on a MacBook Pro would cause driver issues. Trying again Monday and can update you guys. If this ends up not working out for me, I've got a head unit, screen, and USB port that I've verified functionality on if anyone wants to buy the bundle. I'm retrofitting this into a base 2015 GTI S.
Instead of virtual, are you just going to run through bootcamp? That's how I use vcds. Also, do you know if your head unit is an 844 or 844a? If the former I would gladly buy it from you

Old 03-05-2018, 02:06 AM   #80
bigmahlman

Drives: MK5 GTI
Thinking about giving this a shot. Has anyone been able to find a way to get the mib1 amp to work with mib2? I'm not having any luck finding one that's not super expensive. Any way to get everything activated without visiting dealership?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
bigmahlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #81
George Ab

Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmahlman View Post
Thinking about giving this a shot. Has anyone been able to find a way to get the mib1 amp to work with mib2? I'm not having any luck finding one that's not super expensive. Any way to get everything activated without visiting dealership?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I was not able to get Mib1 amp, but I did not try to hard based on not hearing of anyone able to do that. Most junk yards list under older part number, but based on year it will be a MIB2. I believe I addressed activation without going to dealer in article; remote activation with proper cable.
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #82
aameghoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybyday View Post
5Q0 035 844 A

So it's as you said. That's unfortunate. He said I should get a replacement headunit, but now I think he meant different headunit.

He said that because of the SWAP functions applied, it's registered to my VIN and "wont ever work". Also said that my part number couldn't support Nav or App-Connect (even though I had been using Android Auto just fine before having Component Protection removed), but only radio and bluetooth, which is conveniently what my dealership was able to turn on.

I asked if buying an App-Connect key and going back to the dealership would work, he said that it's never been tested. Thoughts?

I didn't realize there were so many different MIB2 part numbers. So basically no USA according to this list, lol.

Are there any other options besides getting a different headunit and doing this all over again? My dealership had my car for six days trying to figure out the coding.
So my 2015 USA MK7 R with the MIB1 currently has NAV. If I understand correctly, if I want to still have nav after the MIB2 retrofit upgrade I need to get a unit with part number 3Q0 035 876 according to your list?
aameghoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #83
treybyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by aameghoo View Post
So my 2015 USA MK7 R with the MIB1 currently has NAV. If I understand correctly, if I want to still have nav after the MIB2 retrofit upgrade I need to get a unit with part number 3Q0 035 876 according to your list?
Correct. Also try to get one that came from a Fender system. Will save you a lot of headache.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #84
aameghoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybyday View Post
Correct. Also try to get one that came from a Fender system. Will save you a lot of headache.
Thanks for the quick reply. And I'm guessing that's to avoid having to change the adaptations to add the fender amp?

Also 2 other questions for everyone:

1. Is the person removing component protection and adding App-Connect key remotely still Jack? How did you contact him. I found him on Skype and sent him a message but haven't gotten a reply yet. I wasn't sure if there's a better way to get in touch with him

2. What service/method did you guys use to find your parts at salvage yards. Never got something from a salvage yard before and I'm not too sure where to start with trying to locate these parts

Thanks
aameghoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:47 AM   #85
wvw89

Drives: 2015 Golf 1.8tsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinks View Post
By this process are you refering to applying the app connect FeC at the dealership? Just wanted to know as 3Q0035844 is the part number George mentions in his OP and I was planning on picking one of those up...also is anyone aware of the difference between 3Q0035844 and 3Q0035844 A?

Thanks in advance.
wvw89 is offline   Reply With Quote