GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
DW58

Drives: 2016 Golf Estate SE 1.4TSi DSG.
I've used Gummi Pfledge for years, can't fault it on all sorts of rubber/silicon products.
Golf Mk7 SE 1.4TSi Estate DSG 125PS: | Limestone Grey | VW Toronto Alloys & Hankook Ventus P2 (Summer) | Borbet CC Silver alloys & Conti WinterContact TS850 (Winter) | MFSW | Mirror Pack | Winter Pack | Reversing Camera | Chrome exhaust tips | Garmin nüvi 3597LMT | Variocage & Cocker Spaniel ... ... ... Missing 2z Climcon & Kessy.
DW58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
ElectricEye

Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
I'm glad that both John5 and DW58 got great results with Gummi Pledge.
I find it hard to believe that it didn't wok for me, and I would doubt myself were it no for the very direct cause and effect after my last application.
I got mine from Amazon, perhaps the version sold in the US differs from the European version?

The Dielecrtic Grease was highly praised on whatever Corvette forum that I had found it under.
Those guys were complaining about rattling T-tops.
I would imagine that those older Corvettes flexed a lot.

In any event, it's nice to see that two solutiions have been found.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
DW58

Isn't there a danger of grease degrading the rubber? Presumably you haven't tried in on a Mk7 assuming that you're Stateside?
Golf Mk7 SE 1.4TSi Estate DSG 125PS: | Limestone Grey | VW Toronto Alloys & Hankook Ventus P2 (Summer) | Borbet CC Silver alloys & Conti WinterContact TS850 (Winter) | MFSW | Mirror Pack | Winter Pack | Reversing Camera | Chrome exhaust tips | Garmin nüvi 3597LMT | Variocage & Cocker Spaniel ... ... ... Missing 2z Climcon & Kessy.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
ElectricEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW58 View Post
Isn't there a danger of grease degrading the rubber? Presumably you haven't tried in on a Mk7 assuming that you're Stateside?
I read both positive and negatives on the subject.
Like just about any search you do on the internet, there are prett ardent suppporters and opponents for both sides.
I sided with the supporters.
It's been nearly three years (no degradation at all - if anything, the seals ook fantastic) so you'll have to forgive me if I forget exactly what I read in support of this stuff.
But, suffice it to say that it had been used extensively and over years by these guys.
In the electrical applications as well, they said how the very purpose of this stuff was to keep thing in good condition etc.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #22
DW58

Sounds like it works then, presumably no petroleum products in the mix then.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:11 AM   #23
Yimma996tt

Drives: Mk7 GTI, 996tt, 68 firebird
I've been chasing a creaky passenger door and trying all the fixes I read on the forum without having any luck. Finally I tried tightening the nut under the door and it didn't work. Feeling I overtightened it, I loosened it to its starting position plus 1-1/2 to to turns out. Amazingly it worked to get rid of the noise!! Couldn't believe it
Yimma996tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
roy2535

Drives: 2014 Mk7 GTI
I think Roger2050 from VWVortex has described the exact same problem as the one posted here.

He used an alternative method to the one suggested here. He inserted a vinyl tubing between the seals

Browse through his build thread and find post #799.
roy2535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #25
ElectricEye

I've since found a product that works far better and longer than anything else I've tried:

SailKote

It's a dry lubricant spray geared for marine applications.
You spray it on the felt portion of the weather stripping.
I've had exceptional results using it.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #26
HXP

Drives: MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI 122BHP 6 spd man and a MX5
Door seal might not be in focus but what a great looking lawn :-)
HXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #27
mlewando

Drives: MK7 2014 TSI SE
Hello guys,

My Golf is suffering from creaking doors almost since the beginning.
I bought special lubricant, which is kind of petrolatum, before I used silicon spray. It helps, but for some limited time (e.g. 2 weeks) and there - after rain or cleaning the car - problem returns.

I applied the lubricant only on the smooth side (outer) of seal, but I saw you guys saying to apply it also on the inner side? Did it help?
Old 07-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #28
FormerRocco

Just happened upon this thread, I've had a creaking door since almost new but just chose to ignore it whilst I could find time to get to the dealership. I have some GummPledge from my Scirocco days that I used to sop the windows sticking to the doorframe in cold weather. Applied it on my GTi as described, creaks gone!
FormerRocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #29
Nykos5000

Drives: MK VII Golf + F80 ///M3
Gummi Pfledge works wonders on creaking doors. BMWs have this problem as well and I always solved it by applying Gummi Pfledge on the door seals.
Nykos5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #30
jmargaretis

Drives: Mk7 PW DSG SE
Thumbs up

A more permanent fix fellas.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...viewfull=1#799
Sold:Build Thread/ PW DSG SE/ ED-Is38 & TCU/ Uni DP/ Uni Intake/ Uni IC/ H&R Streets/ 034 Insert: (ST)RSB +(ED)Endlinks/ VMR 710s 18×8.5/ Michelin PSS/ 42 DD 6mm rear/ 35% Tint/ Roof & Grille Wrap/ F&R Blk Badges/ Ed's Golf R reps/ Dark Cherry LEDs
jmargaretis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #31
markio

Drives: 2015 gti SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnV View Post
A couple of photo's of the top of the driver's side door. Apologies for the dreadful focusing of my camera but you can see the double rubber seal and where I've splayed them out.

That's all it is - just the action of the inner seal rubbing against the outer seal makes the doors creak like the Mary Rose. The Mk7 fit and finish is top notch but the creaky doors let it down. I'm relieved it's a piece of cake to remedy such an aggravating annoyance. Use your fingers, silicone spray or Rob's suggestion for rubber seal lubricant.
Dude I've had this problem for weeks and it was driving me insane. I sprayed some silicone spray in that area where you took pictures and the sound went away completely. Thanks!
markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:20 AM   #32
mechtibs

Drives: 2016 Golf GTI Autobahn PP 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
I use Auto Glym vinyl and rubber care on my door seals. Never heard of Gummi Pfledge stuff... has anyone else used Auto Glym stuff before?
mechtibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:20 AM   #33
PRND[S]

Drives: LSG 2015 Golf R / APR Stage 2 ECU / APR TCU
Just wanted to chime in.

I bought Gummi Pflege last year and used it to try to solve my creaking doors when turning onto the ramp for our underground parking. I assumed it was the contact points between the rubber seal and the painted surfaces in the door jamb. I treated everything, and the noise was still there.

Yesterday I stumbled across this thread and decided to give it another go using the guidance from the pictures. I used liberal amounts of Gummi Pflege and spread it around using a finger. I wasn't paying attention this morning when I left for the office and wasn't sure if the second attempt helped, but coming back I listened carefully as I turned onto the ramp -- no more creaking!
PRND[S] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #34
mkygod

Drives: 2016 Golf GTI DSG Autobahn PP, LP, DCC (White 4dr)
Lots of good tips in this thread. I used Megs Mirror Glaze Vinyl&Rubber Cleaner and it seems to have reduced it by 90%. I may have to try Gummi Pflege some time to see if it works better. Only problem is Pflege seems pretty expensive for how much you get.
mkygod is offline   Reply With Quote