GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #86
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
I read the manual. Stop implying I did not.
Oh yes, you did--but only AFTER the behavior changed.

And you went in with the assumption that the first behavior you saw was the "correct" behavior--simply because it WAS the first behavior you saw.
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #87
Sir_Mk7r
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf R
Location: Atl
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 254
I would suggest taking it in to VW to see if you can get them to look at it. They are probably going to keep it a few days and tell you its normal operation to get out of actually fixing the problem.
Sir_Mk7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:18 AM   #88
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
Oh yes, you did--but only AFTER the behavior changed.

And you went in with the assumption that the first behavior you saw was the "correct" behavior--simply because it WAS the first behavior you saw.
You are a total a-hole and I would appreciate your leaving this thread because you have done nothing but attack me time and time again. WTF is your problem?

Read the OP - "....I've been going over this manual for quite some time...." so I say again - STOP INSISTING I DID NOT READ THE MANUAL. You are wrong and continuing to repeat something that is false does nothing to help work out the problem with the car. Again - if you know the manual so well, point out the paragraph that solves this 100%.

And if I did or did not accept the original behavior as being correct, that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual issue. So stop fixating on that. It's immaterial to the conversation and only you seem to think it's important if only to use it against me.

You have no solution and absolutely nothing to add so please move along and stop being whatever it is you're being. No need for this kind of attack.
__________________
2018 Golf R

Last edited by kevinkar; 05-19-2018 at 03:21 AM. Reason: punctuation
kevinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:20 AM   #89
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Mk7r View Post
I would suggest taking it in to VW to see if you can get them to look at it. They are probably going to keep it a few days and tell you its normal operation to get out of actually fixing the problem.
Yeah, I'm getting to that point most definitely. Sadly, that brings up the old "Which dealer in my area provides 'the best' service?" conundrum as I'm not driving all the way to the dealer at which I purchased the car (too far) and, as you correctly pointed out - it will probably come back as "normal" mostly because it seems (Gasp! Here comes that word again) inconsistent at best.

Thanks for the suggestion.
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #90
only1harry
Member
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive, 1999 Integra GSR
Location: NY state
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 90
Good luck with the dealer. I hope they are able to reproduce the problem quickly.

Also try not to feed the trolls if you can Ignoring them is the best way to deal with them.

Harry
only1harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #91
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by only1harry View Post
Good luck with the dealer. I hope they are able to reproduce the problem quickly.

Also try not to feed the trolls if you can Ignoring them is the best way to deal with them.

Harry
Thanks and I know... I know. Sorry!
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #92
VDubb
Member
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R DSG, Lapiz Blue
Location: Wilmington, DE
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 52
Yes I am assuming it has something to do with the Start/Stop. The manual does say that even if you do have Start/Stop ENABLED, the car will NOT shut off at stop lights, etc. if certain conditions warrant to keep engine running (like low battery voltage, High temps that need to keep AC running, etc).

That I understand.

But I run in Custom mode all the time and in S mode, which disables Start/Stop automatically.

If it was 100% consistent I would say its a feature, but sometimes I put it in park on same day, same conditions and it does not shut off, sometimes it does. Can't figure out the algorithm or pattern. Not a big deal, just wondered if it is normal.


Hard to tell if its right or some software bug.
VDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #93
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubb View Post
If it was 100% consistent I would say its a feature, but sometimes I put it in park on same day, same conditions and it does not shut off, sometimes it does. Can't figure out the algorithm or pattern. Not a big deal, just wondered if it is normal.

Hard to tell if its right or some software bug.
Pretty much my point for which I've been shot down consistently here. Definitely not a big deal. I don't think shutting off the engine in Park is normal. Seems like it's tied in to Start/Stop which is fine but I'd like to know that's actually true and I'd like it to NOT shut off the engine at all if I have specifically disabled that function. Yet it does sometimes for at least two of us.

Keep paying attention and see if you can determine the pattern and/or settings that actually affect this definitively.
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #94
gregozedobe
Member
 
Drives: VW Golf R, T5 Transporter, Skoda Octavia vRS
Location: Australia
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 34
I'm coming late to this party(?), but wanted to say that I have noticed that whenever I change driving modes on my MY18 Mk7.5R (I'm usually driving in Individual, with brief excursions to Race and then back to Individual) I've noticed that Stop/Start has re-activated itself (I always turn the damned thing off as soon I start the engine on every journey). Is this possibly a factor ?
gregozedobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #95
Mother
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2018 Oryx White R
Location: Orlando, FL
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 194
I noticed this the first day I had my car and didn't think much of it, really. It seemed odd, but I've only noticed it a few times, probably because I'm in the habit of pushing my button whenever I wish to shut off the car whether the engine is running or not.

I think it's a safety feature, designed to prevent people from THINKING they shut the car off when they have not. When it sees a certain set of parameters (appears to be stop/start has already shut the engine off, or perhaps is within a certain range of when it will [AC almost down to temp or whatever] and is THEN put into Park), it goes ahead and treats it as if you have pressed the button to avoid the possibility of you believing it has been shut off, going about your business, and then having it restart while sitting in your closed garage or anywhere else inappropriate.
Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 AM   #96
VDubb
Member
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R DSG, Lapiz Blue
Location: Wilmington, DE
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 52
I did a couple of runs today. I experimented that after I came to a stop I waited like 3 seconds and then put it in park. It did not shut off engine.

However today was hot and AC was running. Will try some more tests tomorrow with AC off.
VDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:59 AM   #97
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,994
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showt...844#post666844
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #98
kevinkar
Senior Member
 
kevinkar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Golf R
Location: United States
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
So it's OK when a Motor Trend writer reports about the idiosyncrasies of Auto Start/Stop but when a forum member asks questions they get nothing but "RTFM," "You don't understand how it works so STFU," "Maybe you're too old to use new technology," etc.?

Can't wait to see your letter to the Editor in the next issue.
__________________
2018 Golf R
kevinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #99
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,994
At least he was able to be clear on the various conditions and actions taken and in which order, unlike some people here.
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #100
MonkeyMD
Senior Member
 
MonkeyMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 VW Golf Tsi S Manual
Location: Central Tx
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,929
He was clear because he could duplicate the issue. The OP couldn't pinpoint the variable that caused the different outcomes. So of course he couldn't be clear. That's what he was here asking about.

That link is a good lead to try to duplicate the issue (or non issue depending on your POV)
MonkeyMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.